It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death To Petco

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I would suggest no longer patronizing Petco, let it crash and burn, business/profits--speaking.

They let 100 animals trapped in their store, drown.

Here's the MSM link for that.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

The sad thing is they had plenty of warning that this area would be flooded. It was pure lazyness that these animals died! I'm not a peta fanatic by any means but I do not buy anything by these large pet emporiums. On occasion my kids have begged me to go into these stores and its always so sad to me. Watching these dogs circling in small cages and digging at the corners. Here's the question people should ask themselves. If you kept an animal penned in a small cage for up to 6 months wouldn't you be arrested for animal abuse? That's what these stores do. Have you ever been to a mall I can bet you have never seen them out back walking these animals around outside!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to hear they're investigating. Please keep us updated.

What a tragic story and I'm happy to hear that some of the animals were able to be saved. As I've said before, we have put some animals in the position where they must depend upon us. It's our responsibility as humans to be there when they need us.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Large pet stores are disgusting and so are most of the people who frequent these places.

I go to a local mom and pop to buy stuff for my dog. Not only is it cheaper but the staff is more friendly and so are the patronage.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I never go to these kinds of stores, it just breaks my heart. I can remember when I was younger, they used to have a pet store in the mall that had dogs and cats and I hated it. Luckily, they are no longer there.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
My area had this local petstore that closed down. due to them getting their animals from illegal breeding mills. Can't recall if it was a Petco or a Petsmart, but all those (I call em big box) pet stores seem all the same, really.

Everyone get your pet from a SHELTER! Especially a kill shelter, as this little innocent furry person will be undying greatfull to you for the rest of your soul's journey! Thats a special love.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

They also know more about what the animals need. My daughters friend recently went to petco and ended up buying a bearded dragon. Now when I buy an animal I do all my research and know exactly what it needs to eat live ect. This child is only 13 so she listened to the sell's rep and bought what she thought she needed. So she's at my house one day crying and tells me she has bought 3 of these animals and each one had died and she couldn't figure out why. So we set down and did a google search turns out it needs a calcium supplement and they had never told her this. 3 times and not once did they tell this kid hey feed them calcium! I shop at a local store and they make sure all there sells reps...all 4 of them, educate themselves about every animal in there store. You have never seen such beautiful salt water tanks it puts those large pet corporations to shame!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well I would if it wasn't the cheapest place to buy my organic well made cat food :/
From the sounds of it, They made checks on the place and found it to be out of harms way several times.
I am sure the people that work there had their own flooding worries as well.
I am not advocating this at all, but it sounded as tho the manager felt pretty devastated by this.
Also I wonder what would they have really been able to do? I don't know how feasible it would have been to transport all of these animals to another location....like I said, a huge undertaking. Especially when the minimum wage employees have their own families and homes to worry about.
It is sad, but I will still buy my cat food their, because it is so reasonably priced.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
No one should expect a healthy animal (especially reptiles and even fish) from petco/petsmart.
Cats and dogs in cages will be neurotic usually....
They should stop selling small animals and focus on food and supplies. That is just my opinion tho!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I am in no way attempting to justify the death of those animals, nor am I trying to make light of this situation.

However, if you're gonna say it, then please provide all of the details. That would mean including the positive details also, and not only the negative ones.

[color=BED9D9]More than 100 small animals and three-quarters of the aquatic life were rescued, according to Lisa Epstein, a Petco spokeswoman. The small animals included an assortment of guinea pigs, mice, reptiles and birds.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

We have a local store like that in Lansing. It's big and beautiful. They don't sell dogs, mostly fish and birds and reptiles. The thing I respect the most about the owner is that he A) is there almost everyday, all day, and B) must train his employees ridiculously well because they will ask you tons of questions about the animal your looking to buy, and will actually DENY you a sale until you have done research about the care of that type of animal. They actually did it to my son.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Oh no.. Someone made a mistake so punish the whole corporation for one managers error. That is bright. How ridiculous can you get. Petco is one of the only places that provides dog and cat food that does not have grain as it's primary product. So if you like giving you animal that crap ol' roy or that crap purina that is fine avoid Petco and feed your animals garbage. Otherwise, places like Petco, Petsmart, and all the other big Box pet stores are pretty good.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Attrei

Wow there's more than 1 problem with these stores. One of the big ones is where they purchase these animals from. Puppy mills are the main supplier of these stores dogs it's not just the dogs either. If you would do some research there are many places that sell good dog food that is not expensive. I buy mine at the local feed store the price is good and its not full of fillers.

www.examiner.com...
This is one of those great places they get there stock from.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Attrei

I agree...This is the only store that sells the well made cat food my cats eat in a big bag...So clearly they will still be receiving my money! Walmart and other stores just sell crap food, so it is the only option for me!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Petco regularly sells items that are extremely dangerous, items which can mutilate or kill small pets -- you know, the kind small children often keep? -- in horrific ways.

So yeah, just because somebody puts a picture of a happy animal on a window and says 'Come on in, you can trust us' doesn't mean they actually care about anything but profit, like every other capitalist entity necessarily must.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I would be perfectly fine with these corporations if they, like a previous poster said, just refrain from selling living creatures, and only sell food and pillows and chew toys, dog coats and harnesses, things like that.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I have done the research. In my local area the ONLY place that sells the good pet food is Petco. Our local Petco gets their animals from local breeders, except the fish, and the cats they sell are not being sold by Petco, but by our no kill shelter called the Ark. Our local Petco donates ten percent of every purchase to the Ark. Perhaps you have a crap one, but that doesn't make the whole corporation at fault. It is retarded to blame the many for the mistakes of the few.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Every store sells small items that can hurt or mutilate small animals. Does this mean we should ban all stores that sell anything harmful? The lessons that need to be taught is self-responsibility, not ban the thing that might hurt someone. If we go by that type of thought of banning all that will or can hurt someone or something then we would have to ban the car.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Petco doesn't "sell" dogs and cats. They provide space in their stores for local rescues and shelters for ADOPTIONS. Petsmart is the same. They don't profit from the adoption fees either. So they are doing the local shelters a favor by providing space and speeding up the adoption process.

They do however get their small animals and exotics from suppliers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join