It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Microwave Oven: Is it actually hurting us? Likely so it appears...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+51 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I was reading as usual through random links and web pages and stumbled upon something most all of us have heard before but I had never seen actual citations for reference material to actually back up the claims.

Are Microwave Ovens actually harming our biological integrity as we eat the irradiated food? Possibly! I will provide information now. This will be my initial source, although limited. I will find rock solid evidence later tonight after I get back up after sleeping.

Comparative Study of Food Prepared Conventionally and in the Microwave Oven, published by Raum & Zelt in 1992, at 3(2): 43

“A basic hypothesis of natural medicine states that the introduction into the human body of molecules and energies, to which it is not accustomed, is much more likely to cause harm than good. Microwaved food contains both molecules and energies not present in food cooked in the way humans have been cooking food since the discovery of fire. Microwave energy from the sun and other stars is direct current based. Artificially produced microwaves, including those in ovens, are produced from alternating current and force a billion or more polarity reversals per second in every food molecule they hit. Production of unnatural molecules is inevitable.Naturally occurring amino acids have been observed to undergo isomeric changes (changes in shape morphing) as well as transformation into toxic forms, under the impact of microwaves produced in ovens.

Holy cow! A billion polarity reversals per second in each molecule?

Also the Swiss Clinical Study is mentioned.
This is how the study was set up :

In intervals of two to five days, the volunteers in the study received one of the following food variants on an empty stomach: (1) raw milk; (2) the same milk conventionally cooked; (3) pasteurized milk; (4) the same raw milks cooked in a microwave oven; (5) raw vegetables from an organic farm; (6) the same vegetables cooked conventionally; (7) the same vegetables frozen and defrosted in a microwave oven; and (8) the same vegetables cooked in the microwave oven. Once the volunteers were isolated, blood samples were taken from every volunteer immediately before eating. Then, blood samples were taken at defined intervals after eating from the above milk or vegetable preparations.

And this is what they discovered:

Significant changes were discovered in the blood samples from the intervals following the foods cooked in the microwave oven. These changes included a decrease in all hemoglobin and cholesterol values, especially the ratio of HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol) values. Lymphocytes (white blood cells) showed a more distinct short-term decrease following the intake of microwaved food than after the intake of all the other variants. Each of these indicators pointed to degeneration. Additionally, there was a highly significant association between the amount of microwave energy in the test foods and the luminous power of luminescent bacteria exposed to serum from test persons who ate that food. This led Dr. Hertel to the conclusion that such technically derived energies may, indeed, be passed along to man inductively via eating microwaved food.

According to Dr. Hertel, “Leukocytosis, which cannot be accounted for by normal daily deviations, is taken very seriously by hemotologists. Leukocytes are often signs of pathogenic effects on the living system, such as poisoning and cell damage. The increase of leukocytes with the microwaved foods were more pronounced than with all the other variants. It appears that these marked increases were caused entirely by ingesting the microwaved substances.

He then explains the scientific principals behind how a microwave oven works and why this could prove dangerous to our health.

“This process is based on physical principles and has already been confirmed in the literature. The apparent additional energy exhibited by the luminescent bacteria was merely an extra confirmation. There is extensive scientific literature concerning the hazardous effects of direct microwave radiation on living systems. It is astonishing, therefore, to realize how little effort has been taken to replace this detrimental technique of microwaves with technology more in accordance with nature. Technically produced microwaves are based on the principle of alternating current. Atoms, molecules, and cells hit by this hard electromagnetic radiation are forced to reverse polarity 1-100 billion times a second. There are no atoms, molecules or cells of any organic system able to withstand such a violent, destructive power for any extended period of time, not even in the low energy range of milliwatts.

He then describes how this process is different from conventional cooking processes.

“Of all the natural substances -- which are polar -- the oxygen of water molecules reacts most sensitively. This is how microwave cooking heat is generated -- friction from this violence in water molecules. Structures of molecules are torn apart, molecules are forcefully deformed, called structural isomerism, and thus become impaired in quality. This is contrary to conventional heating of food where heat transfers convectionally from without to within. Cooking by microwaves begins within the cells and molecules where water is present and where the energy is transformed into frictional heat.

Then guess what happened to the people researching this? They gagged them through Legal means.

As soon as Doctors Hertel and Blanc published their results, the authorities reacted. A powerful trade organization, the Swiss Association of Dealers for Electro-apparatuses for Households and Industry, known as FEA, struck swiftly in 1992.They forced the President of the Court of Seftigen, Canton of Bern, to issue a “gag order” against Drs. Hertel and Blanc. In March 1993, Dr. Hertel was convicted for “interfering with commerce” and prohibited from further publishing his results. However, Dr. Hertel stood his ground and fought this decision over the years.

Then the icing on the cake, they reverse the decision and determine that the Dr's rights were violated wrongly, and ordered the Swiss government to pay him compensation for this injustice. How can it be unjust if he was spreading lies about Microwave ovens? Maybe because he was actually telling the Truth? We will see...

Not long ago, this decision was reversed in a judgment delivered in Strasbourg, Austria, on August 25, 1998. The European Court of Human Rights held that there had been a violation of Hertel’s rights in the 1993 decision. The European Court of Human Rights also ruled that the “gag order” issued by the Swiss court in 1992 against Dr. Hertel, prohibiting him from declaring that microwave ovens are dangerous to human health, was contrary to the right to freedom of expression. In addition, Switzerland was ordered to pay Dr. Hertel compensation.

I bet that if I go dig around for a few hours I could find tons more, but the end of my day approaches and I am about to sleep soon.

Anyone who finds more evidence to support or deny this information please post it up so we can discuss it. I will be back in awhile to continue this.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Do Microwaves cause molecules in our food to convert into Carcinogens or other toxic products?? Dr Lita Lee claims it does and provides her information.

In Dr. Lita Lee’s book, Health Effects of Microwave Radiation -- Microwave Ovens, and in the March and September 1991 issues of Earthletter, she stated that every microwave oven leaks electro-magnetic radiation, harms food, and converts substances cooked in it to dangerous organ-toxic and carcinogenic products. Further research summarized in this article reveal that microwave ovens are far more harmful than previously imagined.

Microwaving prepared meats sufficiently to insure sanitary ingestion caused formation of d-Nitrosodienthanolamines, a well-known carcinogen.

Microwaving milk and cereal grains converted some of their amino acids into carcinogens.

Thawing frozen fruits converted their glucoside and galactoside containing fractions into carcinogenic substances.

Extremely short exposure of raw, cooked or frozen vegetables converted their plant alkaloids into carcinogens.

Carcinogenic free radicals were formed in microwaved plants, especially root vegetables.

Not looking good I gotta say. Not good at all.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I always agreed with this. the best way to prepair food is over as little heat as safely possible. got a microwave less then 4 feet from me right now anyway in my bedroom on top the mini fridge

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I had read about the dangers of microwave ovens years ago. I got rid of mine and never looked back. I don't miss it at all. The food tastes better cooked and reheated conventionally.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
coming from a laymans perspective, putting food into a box and heating it in 1/8th of conventional time radiating it with waves of energy is not natural...

great find, def confirms some of our theories...

I try to avoid a microwave whenever possible...even having a microwave in close proximity running constantly can be a danger down the line..combine this with smoking, fukishima leaving carcinogens in food, water & air, cell phones, power lines, all just unnatural vibrations and mutations that we are having our bodies fight daily..

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
After I start my microwave, which is rarely, after I run away from it literally. After it's done I wait a long time before opening the door and I don't eat before at least 2 minutes.

I've heard that one of the collaborators that created microwaves refuses to have one at home, goes to show!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krystian

I try to avoid a microwave whenever possible...even having a microwave in close proximity running constantly can be a danger down the line..combine this with smoking, fukishima leaving carcinogens in food, water & air, cell phones, power lines, all just unnatural vibrations and mutations that we are having our bodies fight daily..

Add all of that up, and then add the hundred things you failed to mention.

This explains the modern 'cancer epidemic'. And hundreds of other diseases and deformities that are so commonplace these days. I usually don't like to use blanket explanations or an umbrella, but when it becomes so widespread and obvious as this, it's like putting 2 + 2 together.

Of course, not each source listed causes each type of ailment listed. No, each source has it's own unique properties and creates it's own flavor of ailments.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Interesting find but I can't buy into it, not enough supporting evidence. From most available data sources, only water is affected by the resonant frequency of the microwaves, and then only affected by vibrating. I'd like to see more studies on the energies produced.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I have heard of this before and have stopped using the microwave altogether as it is definitely not good for one!
Thanks for the thread!
S&F

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by User8911
After I start my microwave, which is rarely, after I run away from it literally. After it's done I wait a long time before opening the door and I don't eat before at least 2 minutes.

I've heard that one of the collaborators that created microwaves refuses to have one at home, goes to show!

I actually have caught myself doing the same thing.

However this information I discovered claims that our running away will not help us at all. The only way to avoid the danger is to not eat the food cooked within it.

It claims that the energy pulse from the microwave causes natural molecules within our foodstuffs to be converted (sometimes) into all sorts of other types of chemicals. Many of them toxic or cancer causing agents.

Also, it claims that the actual texture of the molecular structure is so ruptured and destroyed, that the quality of the food itself degrades drastically (we all knew this subconsciously because it always tastes really bad).

So running will not do us any good. We have to just stop eating food prepared within it.

And mothers, STOP feeding your babies milk warmed in a microwave, especially with a plastic bottle. Always heat food in GLASS or Ceramics or Metal containers, not PLASTIC. Plastic when heated sufficiently can leak toxic materials into the liquid. However some plastics are far better than others, I personally don't trust any of them not even the highest quality.
edit on 13-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

gonna have to take aim at a few things.

Firstly, microwaves emit low (safe) levels of radiation and only a few inches away from the oven, unless you are running it 24/7 with your face pressed against the window, you are 100% safe, your TV is showering you with more radiation.

Secondly, when talking about microwaving food you can't honestly compare that to food iridation as it's something completely different:

Food irradiation is the process of exposing food to ionizing radiation[1] to destroy microorganisms, bacteria, viruses, or insects that might be present in the food. Further applications include sprout inhibition, delay of ripening, increase of juice yield, and improvement of re-hydration. Irradiated food does not become radioactive, but in some cases there may be subtle chemical changes.

Source

Food irradiation is bad, and I believe the FDA wants most of it irradiated, if they aren't doing that already. Food irradiation DOES remove a good deal of nutrients, more so than conventional cooking.

but what about a microwave?

Most reports indicated that microwave cooking resulted in higher moisture losses compared with conventional methods. Overall, the nutritional effects of microwaves on protein, lipid, and minerals appear minimal. There is no report on the effects of microwaves on carbohydrate fraction in foods. A large amount of data is available on the effects of microwaves on vitamins. It is concluded that there are only slight differences between microwave and conventional cooking on vitamin retention in foods. In conclusion, no significant nutritional differences exist between foods prepared by conventional and microwave methods. Any differences reported in the literature are minimal.

Source

And in some cases, it actually preserves more nutrients than traditional cooking:

But how could microwaving actually preserve more nutrients in many cases? Not only do we generally use less liquid when cooking in the microwave, cooking times are typically shorter than those for conventional cooking.

Source

THAT said, I avoid the 'wave' as much as possible, I'd never "cook" anything other than pop corn in there, maybe heat up some cold coffee. Mostly it's for fast defrosting because I'm a spaz and forgot to take anything out of the freezer.

but anyways, the "dangers" being passed around are based on misguided information. When you use your microwave, it's no where close to "food irradiation" that actually makes the food "dead" removing most of the nutrients you are eating it to get.

the sad thing about that is, the food irradiation takes place before the food even gets to the store, so it really doesn't matter how you cook it, it's already damaged goods.

As for milk... There is a reason they tell you not to store milk near anything that smells. The same reason milk supplies are the first place to look if you suspect radiation exposure. Milk acts like a sponge and soaks all of that stuff up.

I would never ever microwave milk, it's bad enough to warm my coffee (with cream) in there.

edit on 13-9-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
Interesting find but I can't buy into it, not enough supporting evidence. From most available data sources, only water is affected by the resonant frequency of the microwaves, and then only affected by vibrating. I'd like to see more studies on the energies produced.

That's why I posted it. I too remain skeptical yet open minded to this information.

I would like to see correlating information from other sources.

That is what I am going to look for after I hit the sack and get back up. I've got no more than 5 or 10minutes left in me...

If you find anything please share it. I would like to see anything pro or con.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I agree that food irradiation is a different process than a microwave oven.

That is not what I want to know about however, there is shielding on microwave ovens which protects the bystanders at least partially from any dangerous radiation emissions.

I want to know if the part about the microwave causing food molecules to alter into toxic forms of chemicals is true. If it is true, than microwaves are dangerous bottom line. I don't like eating carcinogens do you?

So let's try to disprove that claim primarily, because it is the biggest hitter of all in my opinion.

Plus please realize that these are citations from actual documentation created by scientists with degrees. This is not just mumbo jumbo coming from a guy down the street...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I should also mention that, while reading the OPs link I'm finding various problems with this "study" and the studies quoted in it.

They use the fact that microwaving a baby bottle is dangerous because the milk could be too hot, or the steam could cause a pressure explosion, as proof of the dangers of microwave radiation. What the hell?

As well, further down, reading about a russian study (didn't I JUST read about a Russian time machine that was peer reviewed in russia? yeah, no hoaxes or BS ever comes from Russia.) they use russian workers who were exposed to microwave radiation while developing radar.

Radar is, insanely, more high powered, larger waves, than a microwave. It's like comparing the EMF from my lcd monitor to the radio tower covering this whole city.

Plus please realize that these are citations from actual documentation created by scientists with degrees. This is not just mumbo jumbo coming from a guy down the street...

but that's the thing, the science is flawed and being used incorrectly:

Probably the most flagrant error that the Microwave Militia propagates is that microwaved food or water contains what they call "radiolytic compounds" — new chemicals created by the tearing apart of molecules in a microwave. These new chemicals are said to be dangerous, cancerous, radioactive, unnatural, or otherwise harmful. This is a demonstrably false claim. Radiolysis, which is a real process and which the Militia believes creates these radiolytic compounds, is the process by which molecules are dissociated under ionizing radiation. Water can be dissociated under ionizing alpha particle bombardment, which is a natural process. Microwave radiation, as mentioned earlier, is not ionizing radiation. It is thus scientifically incapable of causing radiolysis. The differences between microwave radiation and alpha radiation are huge. With the claim that microwaves cause dissociation of water molecules, the Microwave Militia is either deliberately lying, or they are grossly ignorant of the very subject on which they claim superior expertise.

Source

Think that addresses your question directly.

Microwaves do, make no mistake, emit radiation, and the FDA has established what it considers “safe” levels for microwaves: over the machine’s “lifetime” the allowable level is “5 milliwatts of microwave radiation per square centimeter…approximately 2 inches from the oven surface.” Guidelines from the International Radiation Protection Association (IRPA) suggest overall radiation limits of 1 milliwatt per square centimeter “averaged over 6 minutes (0.1 h) period.”

Source

In most cases, the foods used for research analysis were exposed to microwave propagation at an energy potential of 100 kilowatts/cm3/second, to the point considered acceptable for sanitary, normal ingestion.

source

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The article is 20 years old.
if there was significant side effects then they would have been banned by now.

You put yourself in more danger of eating bacon which ups the bowl cancer risk by 1%. Studys can find everything is "dangerous", all you have to do is look at what silly things increase a cancer risk.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Are there any long term health studies carried out on this?

Microwaves have been commercially available for 64 years.

Plenty of time to see a trend.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

The article is 20 years old. if there was significant side effects then they would have been banned by now.

and the studies, well most of them, were done back in the 50s. LOL. I read this same chain email that probably got the OP looking into this. Only takes a few minutes for it to fall apart.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Are there any long term health studies carried out on this? Microwaves have been commercially available for 64 years.

One clue that might encourage you to regard these claims with some skepticism is that fact that ever since microwave ovens came on the market in 1954, not one person has ever exhibited a single symptom of any illness resulting from having eaten microwaved food, or from having used water that had been microwaved. Burns are the exception, but burns are caused by heat from any source; that's not unique to microwaves. But if you believe the claims by the anti-microwave fringe, whom I call the Microwave Militia, practically everyone on the planet should be gravely ill with cancer, radiation poisoning, malnutrition, and mental retardation.

The same chain email, and many of these web sites, also state that giving a plant water that has been microwaved will kill it. There is even a series of unsourced photographs of two plants, one of which withers and dies while its sibling flourishes. The awesome web site Snopes.com tested this particular claim. They took three plants of each of several types, and watered one with tap water, one with water that had been boiled over a stove, and the third with water that had been boiled in a microwave. Unlike whoever took the pictures that often accompany the chain email, Snopes actually controlled for other variables. I'm sure you won't have to stretch your imagination very far to guess how the plants did. They all did exactly the same. Snopes has complete details and photographs on their web site. Somehow these plants managed to escape the guaranteed death sentence that believers say microwaved water carries.

Source

Not sure if there is a Russian study to back that claim up though

Don't get me wrong, I'm not banging on the OP for looking into it, that's what this site is for, and I'm not suggesting everyone microwave everything. I'm just saying the information being passed around, much like the elenin crap, is flawed at the core by someone misunderstanding the science, then "teaching" their warped misguided view to the rest of the internet.

See, now, most people read the OP and info and immediately believed it, didn't even bother to check the source, cause someone else did that right? No, no one else does that, YOU have to do it. This is the problem with ATS and the conspiracy/truth movement at large, everyone assumes someone else did the fact checking.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Are there any long term health studies carried out on this?

Microwaves have been commercially available for 64 years.

Plenty of time to see a trend.

I don't know. Many of the old folks mostly have cancers these days. It's impossible to tell where from, with 100s of different types of cancers in any organ conceivable.

I am just looking for proof that this isn't a likely source.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
not that ive ever studied up on the subject ive had my suspicions for some time now...radiating food just cannot be good for us......my partner has a bad habit of using the microwave,about 3 months ago after she microwaved my young boys milk bottle,i waited for her to go to work,cut the cord of it,threw it out,told it broke....and have refused to buy another,and never will,if another appears it will have a mysterious short circuit

peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join