It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supposedly the full moon causes people to act weird and strange things to happen. Thoughts?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
There is a full moon out tonight and my mother called my attention to it earlier in the night because it was a bright yellow color. That is no big deal but she also said that full moon causes people to act crazy. I have heard this claimed all of my life by several people. I also noticed when I was with the fire department we would get a lot more wild calls when the moon was full. My mother and grandmother also claim more babies are born when the moon is full. I have heard a lot of talk about the full moon the last couple days then even saw a few people talking about it on unrelated threads on here. When I hear a lot of something for a while then I usually create a post about it to get people’s ideas and feedback. That is what I am doing now. So what are your thoughts on the full moon theory?? Do you think it’s a crock? Do you think it has no, little, some, or much bearing on other things? Let’s keep it clean now folks but pleas share your thoughts.

Now if you'll excuse me I feel my transformation to werewolf about to take place

edit on 13/9/2011 by JROCK2527 because: spell check

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

everbody knows when it´s full moon, people turn to werewolves.

LOCK YOUR HOUSE EVERYONE!

ontopic:
i personally never witnessed any exceptional behaviour from people when it's full moon.
i'm not saying it's crock, i'm just not a believer

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Humans have evolved under the sun's and moon's cycles for hundreds of thousands of years. The sun has a huge effect on our biological functioning (circadian rhythm immediately jumps to mind).

Certainly, the effects are likely to be far less than those of the sun, but I think I would be remiss to discount the possibility completely.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

As a former bartender/bar manager I can tell you that it is true. Not only that but it seems like all the weirdos come out during a full moon. Everyone gets a little goofier, are more likely to get drunk, start fights, sleep with someone the wouldn't have otherwise, all kinds of crazy stuff.

I know, pictures or it didn't happen, lol. But I have seen it so many times.

Oh and BTW this seems like a pretty intense one to me. Been a while since I read up on magic, so I don't remember if this is supposed to be a powerful one, but it seems to be.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I never sleep properly on the build up to a full moon. The day after a full moon, I always feel drained and just want to sleep. I think that it tends to affect most of us on the planet.

The strange thing that I cannot explain, is the taste of raw meat in the morning and the blood in between my fingernails. That is the mystery.

No, seriously. a full moon certainly does affect people.
edit on 13/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Grammar

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
i think it full moons do make us act weird (no transformations tho!!)

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
love the full moon. with people getting slightly wild during it's course no wonder they connected it to madness.
luna-tic asylum comes to mind.
f

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
One hypothesis that I find compelling is this one-

Ionization in the ambient air shows to effect our physiological state. A higher positive ion ratio to negative ion stimulates certain glands, which secrete hormones with various effects upon our minds and bodies.

Air that has a high density of positive ions (is not balanced with an equal amount of negative ions) causes the body to produce serotonin.

How individuals experience this depends upon their own biology, how well their bodies can cope with this internally, and how well that person has developed ways of using that state. For example, some atheletes find their performance heightened in such conditions; very dynamic active people find themselves with more energy than usual at their disposal. If someone is very externalized, this can be okay.

For more internalized personalities, that energy can be problematic, causing anxiety, headaches, bad dreams, and for people with mood disorders or psychological dysfunctions, it can excerbate their inner conflicts.

During a full moon, the air has a higher ration of positive ions to negative ions.

Here's one article concerning this (there are others to be found! It is just the first thing I came up with on a search)
www.quantumenergywerks.com/documents/Ionization101.pdf

I personally get a surge of energy that I find delightful! I did so much stuff yesterday I am in awe of myself!-Of course I didn't sleep well, I was waking up each hour (at 1:11, 2:22, 3:33, 4:44.....
) and had lots of active dreams, so I guess that energy turns my physical as well as mental wheels!
edit on 13-9-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Is it just a coincidence that womens' period cycles go with the lunar cycle? Obviously the moon has a significant effect on humans and many other species of animals. Poo-pooing the notion offhandedly is just ignorant. As to it affecting crime, you can look at crime statistics and the connection is there. What more is there to debate?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Isn't it because of this that we have the words lunacy and lunatic? I haven't noticed it personally (but i've never looked) but my mam gets all the weirdos in her shop on a full moon. A friend of mine is also a paramedic and he swears its true! he hates working on a full moon because its manic with call outs.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

were all made of the same stuff, and that stuff is the same stuff that makes up everything else.
if it effects over stuff, then it would effect us

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
We had a very noisy block of flats at the end of our street and I asked my neighbour if she noticed the loud parties, fights, smashing glass, and numerous police cars and vans usually happened on the night of a full moon.

She wisely pointed out they always fell on giro week.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I played music in bars for 15 years...I can attest that they gave day passes from the funny farm on full moon nights. :sarcasm:

There was ALWAYS something/someone interesting on full moon nights.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Cool theory. Wasn't expecting to read anything that technical

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I now work in the hotel industry sometimes on the night shift. It seems that the wierdos always choose my hotel on full moon nights. I mean you never see these kinds of wierdos at any other time but ALWAYS on the full moons. so i guess you can say that I am a believer in the fact

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
i can feel the full moon, great time to party.......

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I don't think the full moon makes you act weird. I think it's you making yourself act weird. Personally, It has not affected me. (Non-Believer).

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
As a ex EMT i will have say yes.

But i also have noted that many criminals love the full moon.
Its also a time when its easy to see the criminals moving around outside.

So gunshot wounds tend to happen more on full moon nights.
Also broken bones by criminal running from the cops and jumping over fences into empty pools.
Dogs also find it easy to catch criminals coming over fences into THERE yards.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527
There is a full moon out tonight and my mother called my attention to it earlier in the night because it was a bright yellow color. That is no big deal but she also said that full moon causes people to act crazy. I have heard this claimed all of my life by several people. I also noticed when I was with the fire department we would get a lot more wild calls when the moon was full. My mother and grandmother also claim more babies are born when the moon is full. I have heard a lot of talk about the full moon the last couple days then even saw a few people talking about it on unrelated threads on here. When I hear a lot of something for a while then I usually create a post about it to get people’s ideas and feedback. That is what I am doing now. So what are your thoughts on the full moon theory?? Do you think it’s a crock? Do you think it has no, little, some, or much bearing on other things? Let’s keep it clean now folks but pleas share your thoughts.

Now if you'll excuse me I feel my transformation to werewolf about to take place

edit on 13/9/2011 by JROCK2527 because: spell check

Each muscle in our bodies and the brain, consist of more or less 80% water. Now we know that the tides are affected by the Moon's gravitational pull - especially on a full moon (Spring Tides - strong tides). If the moon can affect the sea tides (water), imagine what it can do to the water inside our bodies? Although you may not find a psychologist who would agree to this.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Having read numerous research articles on this very topic I can safely say that the full Moon does not affect human behavior. The sheer number of studies that have been done on this topic is mind boggling and pretty much all of them have come up with non-significant results.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join