It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something bright, something large, and it’s moving through our solar system very quickly.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Something bright, something large, and it’s moving through our solar system very quickly.

The faint blur indicates that it’s a comet, an icy visitor from the outermost reaches of the solar system. And it’s headed straight toward Earth.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5dc0ca0ff69a.jpg[/atsimg]

Exhaustive calculations are run and re-run. Computer simulations are executed. All possibilities are taken into consideration, and yet there’s no alternative to be found; Our world will face a close encounter with a comet in mere months’ time.
Phone calls are made, a flurry of electronic messages fly between computer terminals across the world, consultations are held with top experts in the field. We are unprepared… what can we do? What does this mean for civilization as we know it?

What will this speeding icy bullet from outer space do to our planet?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de1d726da3b5.jpg[/atsimg]

The answer? Nothing.

Nothing at all. In fact, if you can even find it when it passes by, it probably won’t even be very interesting to look at.

Sorry for the let-down.

There’s been a lot of buzz in the past several months regarding Comet Elenin, a.k.a. C/2010 X1, which was discovered by Russian astronomer Leonid Elenin on December 10, 2010.

Elenin spotted the comet using a telescope in New Mexico remotely from his location in Lyubertsy, Russia. At that time it was about 647 million kilometers (401 million miles) from Earth… in the time since it has closed the distance considerably, and is now around 270 million km away.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a13b0abbdbaa.jpg[/atsimg]

Elenin is a long-period comet, which means it has a rather large orbit around the Sun… it comes in from a vast distance, swings around the Sun and heads back out to the depths of the solar system – a round trip lasting over 10,000 years.
During its current trip it will pass by Earth on October 16, coming as close as 35 million km (22 million miles).

Yes, 22 million miles. That’s pretty far.
Way too far for us to be affected by anything a comet has to offer. Especially a not-particularly-large comet like Elenin.

Ok, but how about the gravitational and/or magnetic effect of a comet passing by Earth?

That’s surely got to do something, right? To Earth’s crust, or the tides?

“It will have an immeasurably miniscule influence on our planet. By comparison, my subcompact automobile exerts a greater influence on the ocean’s tides than comet Elenin ever will.”

And as far as the effect from Elenin’s magnetic field goes… well, there is no effect. Elenin, like all comets, doesn’t have a magnetic field. Not much else to say there.
– Don Yeomans, NASA / JPL

Absurd Claims

But the claims surrounding Elenin have gone much further toward the absurd. That it’s going to encounter another object and change course to one that will cause it to impact Earth, or that it’s not a comet at all but actually a planet – Nibiru, perhaps? – and is on a collision course with our own.

Or (and I particularly like this one) that alien spaceships are trailing Elenin in such a way as to remain undetected until it’s too late and then they’ll take over Earth, stealing our water and natural resources and turning us all into slaves and/or space munchies… or however the stories go.

(Of course the government and NASA and Al Gore and Al Gore’s hamster are all in cahoots and are withholding this information from the rest of us. That’s a given.) These stories are all just that – stories – and have not a shred of science to them, other than a heaping dose of science fiction.

The bottom line is this: Comet C/2010 X1 Elenin is coming, and it will pass by Earth at an extremely safe distance – 100 times the distance from Earth to the Moon.
It will not be changing direction between now and then, it will not exert any gravitational effect on Earth, its magnetic field is nonexistent and there are no Star Destroyers cruising in its wake.
The biggest effect it will have on Earth is what we are able to learn about it as it passes – after all, it is a relic from the earliest days of our solar system and we won’t be seeing it again for a very, very long time.

“This intrepid little traveler will offer astronomers a chance to study a relatively young comet that came here from well beyond our solar system’s planetary region. After a short while, it will be headed back out again, and we will not see or hear from Elenin for thousands of years. That’s pretty cool.”
– Don Yeomans

For more information about Elenin, check out this JPL news release featuring Don Yeomans, and there’s a special public issue of Astronomy Beat, a newsletter from the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, that features David Morrison of NASA’s Ames Research Center discussing many of the misconceptions about Elenin.

comet-elenin-just-passing

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Scare those fearmongering comet elenin folks away!

Aha,ha ha.

As many readers already know, Comet Elenin has begun the irreversible process of breaking up. We spoke earlier about the probablility of such an outcome, but I considered it less than 50%. On the graph at left you can see a selection of ten comets that approach the Sun closer than 0.5 a.u.

It's breaking apart,so no worries.
spaceobs.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
its either nibiru or captain planet.

wait...we didnt do the ring thing yet...

has to be nibiru.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
You disinfo scum! Who do you work for NASA? Perhaps the reptilian overlords that at this moment are trailing the comet so as not to cause alarm until it's too late?

Thanks for the thread. I would love it if the Elenin crazies would just go away, or at least be a little more quiet.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
its either nibiru or captain planet.

wait...we didnt do the ring thing yet...

has to be nibiru.

Lol Captain Planet

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
some links .

link
Fate of comets ^^

link
near earth asteroids

link
highly rated comet risks no elenin

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
No,but seriously,the ice is breaking off the mothership to reveal itself and we should be picking up her signals soon.
The earth is expanding,like a big balloon,and humanity will die,and she has come to save a few of us.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
You know I get tired of the Nibiru nuts, if they turn out to be right half of us will be too mentally distraught to say you were right.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

No,but seriously,the ice is breaking off the mothership to reveal itself and we should be picking up her signals soon. The earth is expanding,like a big balloon,and humanity will die,and she has come to save a few of us.

So... The rapture is real? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ittabena
reply to post by kdog1982

No,but seriously,the ice is breaking off the mothership to reveal itself and we should be picking up her signals soon. The earth is expanding,like a big balloon,and humanity will die,and she has come to save a few of us.

So... The rapture is real? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep,should be here in October.
Can't remember the exact date.
I think that guy already died and ascended into heaven.
You know,he predicted the end in May?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Once the Federal EPA detected Tellurium 132 on American soil at the end of March....they were ordered to shut up and quit releasing data.

Tellurium 132 only has a half life of 100 hours....pretty bad stuff. Only found after nuclear reactors go critical.

Found in the mainland US, Hawaii, Marianas Island chain.

Now why would your Government refuse to tell the public there was a dire threat to them?

You don't have the Right to Know. Same applies to all objects in Space.

There's a nuclear reactored satellite that went into melt down decades ago, its right over your head. Snap-10a.

You weren't told about that either. Any Comet coming within striking distance won't be disclosed to you either.

You're going to go about and live your life and spend money to keep the economy going no matter what. We got +70 million Baby Boomers to pay SS to. 30 million older than those Baby Boomers who need their SS. 40 million Federal/military Retirees who need their retirements. 7 million Veterans needing disability checks. 50 million needing Food Stamps. +40 million illegal immigrants needing free school, healthcare, section 8.

Who the heck do you think YOU are? Get out there and keep buying and shopping and working no matter what. Or else. You don't want the Government to trump up charges on you and take your kids away from you do you?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Once the Federal EPA detected Tellurium 132 on American soil at the end of March....they were ordered to shut up and quit releasing data.

Tellurium 132 only has a half life of 100 hours....pretty bad stuff. Only found after nuclear reactors go critical.

Found in the mainland US, Hawaii, Marianas Island chain.

Now why would your Government refuse to tell the public there was a dire threat to them?

You don't have the Right to Know. Same applies to all objects in Space.

There's a nuclear reactored satellite that went into melt down decades ago, its right over your head. Snap-10a.

You weren't told about that either. Any Comet coming within striking distance won't be disclosed to you either.

You're going to go about and live your life and spend money to keep the economy going no matter what. We got +70 million Baby Boomers to pay SS to. 30 million older than those Baby Boomers who need their SS. 40 million Federal/military Retirees who need their retirements. 7 million Veterans needing disability checks. 50 million needing Food Stamps. +40 million illegal immigrants needing free school, healthcare, section 8.

Who the heck do you think YOU are? Get out there and keep buying and shopping and working no matter what. Or else. You don't want the Government to trump up charges on you and take your kids away from you do you?

Already known,already taking care of.
Got your address now,and I'm coming to take yours.
Got my underground bunker,lead-lined of course.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Finally Elenin thread I like
Its fact and not just fearmongering.

Comet that passes more than 100 Lunar Distances from Earth can't affect us gravitionally. And since it has disintegrated partly, its too faint for even binoculars to see, might only see with good telescope.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Just curious, but if I'm wrong please correct me.

Is it possible for a type of bacteria to be present in the core of the comet and somehow when it passes us this bacteria will make it to the Earth? Could this bacteria pose some kind of threat?
cs.astronomy.com...

edit on 9/13/2011 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Congratulations, maybe you should try the search bar next time as I believe this has been covered about 22,000,000,000,000 times in the last 8 months.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

Prove it

edit on 13/9/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by IEtherianSoul9

Yeah i think it would be possible
Not sure if it would be harmful, might be the elixir of life?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Your wasting your bandwidth on these people. They don't want to know the truth.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Is this thing somewhat visible now? only wonder because here in newfoundland past few weeks there has been somethiny really really bright and getting closer to the area of the moon, i only noticed this because around 2am i went out for a smoke and was looking around the sky (which i usually do) and i just said that was more east to the other side of town and now i could just seem them two together looking straight on, i will take pictures tonight see if you guys can tell what this is might have some rellevance might not.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Boring.

Did you just want attention? Did you do a search on "Elenin" in the the search bar before posting a redundant thread?

The first page alone in search has 10 different threads on this, and there are 10 more pages after that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join