It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Approves Lawsuit Against Toyota Over Cyberstalking Ad Stunt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Court Approves Lawsuit Against Toyota Over Cyberstalking Ad Stunt

www.wired.com

Amanda Duick sued Toyota in 2009 over its intrusive “Your Other You” campaign, after she began receiving frightening e-mails over a number of days from a strange man. The man, who had her home address, told her he was on the lam from the law and needed to crash at her place for a bit to hide out with his pit bull, Trigger.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is a strange one.

Toyota's "Your other You" ad campaign (creepy name, much?) involved an elaborate prank, whereby this woman began receiving unwanted email from what "appeared to be a 25-year-old Englishman and soccer fanatic with a drinking problem." The prank involved him telling her he was going to arrive at her place soon, and included a faked communications from somebody posing as a hotel manager claiming the traveling creepy vagabond had put her name on the hook for trashing his hotel room...

Obviously she was weirded out. What kind of ad campaign is based around being stalked by a violent, hotel-trashing alcoholic on the run from the law and slowly making his way toward you, the focal point of his obsession...

You really have to wonder about people sometimes. I mean really.

Turns out the campaign was aimed at 20something males who like to prank each other, and somebody had signed up Ms. Duick as a joke. But even so....doesn't this strike you as advertising run amok? I don't really approve of people pulling lawsuits willy-nilly, especially for emotional things, but I think I sympathise with the woman in this one, poor thing.

Advertising has really gone toooooo far....

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12-9-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Glad the court approved the case.

Whoever approved the ads should be fired. This ad not only scared the person but probably others and I guarantee it did little to no good in moving product.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
no doubt toyota will make enough money off her pain with all the free advertising her and everyone else(ie the media, you, everyone else who posts this "news" around) is giving them, to amply compensate her for it.

whats that old saying? ...theres no such thing as bad publicity?
edit on 12-9-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWorldSpins
Glad the court approved the case.

Whoever approved the ads should be fired. This ad not only scared the person but probably others and I guarantee it did little to no good in moving product.

fired? LOL

you obviously dont know how advertising works.. no doubt the guy will be promoted.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
i mean, for craps sake, look at the news article.. it has a huge bright shiny picture of the car.. its pretty much just a big advert.

trust me, the people this gimmick was supposedly intended for, will not care about that ladies confusion or worry. they will just think she was a loony, and they will make a point to send that same email to their friends.. and they will all look at that bright shiny car and consider buying one themselves,

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
whats that old saying? ...theres no such thing as bad publicity?
edit on 12-9-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

Also
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
Oscar Wilde

top topics

join