It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More corn issues causes more food price hike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

More corn issues causes more food price hike

finance.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (AP) -- Food prices could rise next year because an unseasonably hot summer likely damaged much of this year's corn crop.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimated Monday that a surplus of 672 million bushels of corn will be left over at the end of next summer. The estimated surplus is down from last month's forecast and well below levels that are considered healthy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Good news everyone, our food prices are going to soar, even more. We should all prepare ourselves with food. Buy as much as you can now before it is too late. a major disaster could cause shortages completely. Everyone should have at least 2 month supply for emergency . Be prepared for anything that may happen. U.s. alone is littered with nuke plants.

finance.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
...watch how quickly everything with corn syrup in it goes through the roof!!!

...maaaaan!!! I'll have to take out a loan to buy a Ju-Ju-Bee!!!

S&F

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Well that sucks!

But comes at no surprise,
With the flooding of the Mississippi earlier this year...
All the wild fires...
Now this

We're either gonna have to be able to grow it ourselves or do without...

To Note:
We grow a lot of our own vegetables...
Our corn did NOT do well at all... it was actually very sad

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Than just don't buy anything with corn it. Corn is what makes Americans Fat anyway. Corn is mainly used as a filler and to produce Corn Syrup. Less Sugar healthier people. Corn is def not the only food on the planet. We can always eat people!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
There will probably be some increases toward the end of summer and leading into spring, but I doubt it will be anything approaching catastrophic. A 5-10% increase due to increased importing of foods would be what I would plan for. Which is a pretty hefty increase that will sap resources from elsewhere in the market, but it will not bring in the Apocalypse.

Though compounded with our further weakening economy and worries about the inflation of the dollar - that could add up to a lot of increases in the cost of living.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Not being a speculator, I can't say that I completely understand how having less "extra" (surplus) corn drives the price for everyone else, up.

If I sell 100 pounds of apples every year, but usually my trees give me 150 pounds... then the year that I get 125 pounds from my trees doesn't actually change the 100 pounds I sell each year... but then this is corporate America where news releases and speculators rule our pricing....

Also, maybe if we stop using our corn to make unused (surplus) fuel alcohol, we might again, offset the 'dire' circumstance being described to justify more wealth-taking....

Never-mind..., price-hikers gonna hike.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Please stop making logical sense, it might actually be catchy.

Manipulation at its best.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
lol not to mention that most corn [maize for euros as corn means wheat over there]

is GMO anyways.

a nationwide boycott would bring the price down faster than when fred flintstone's prices came down
when he got in the pie selling business and for the same reasons

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bftroop
Than just don't buy anything with corn it. Corn is what makes Americans Fat anyway. Corn is mainly used as a filler and to produce Corn Syrup. Less Sugar healthier people. Corn is def not the only food on the planet. We can always eat people!!!

Are you forgetting that they use corn to feed animals? Meat, milk, cheese, butter eggs...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

Why yes I am. However most of those animals don't need corn. How do you think they survived before we started feeding them?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
A disheartening - if not educating graphic worthy of review... it's big... so I will just link it:

www.wdm.org.uk...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Not being a speculator, I can't say that I completely understand how having less "extra" (surplus) corn drives the price for everyone else, up.

If I sell 100 pounds of apples every year, but usually my trees give me 150 pounds... then the year that I get 125 pounds from my trees doesn't actually change the 100 pounds I sell each year... but then this is corporate America where news releases and speculators rule our pricing....

Also, maybe if we stop using our corn to make unused (surplus) fuel alcohol, we might again, offset the 'dire' circumstance being described to justify more wealth-taking....

Never-mind..., price-hikers gonna hike.

Alright, enough common sense. Back to the doom and gloom. On topic, this could be another kick in the paycheck. Food and pretty much all costs of living are rising, but when is the last time someone got a pay raise equal to the rise? I know my wife hasn't had a raise in 3 years, but our insurance premium has gone up at least once a year and food seems to go up every time we go shopping.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Just wanted to open the discussion about corn because of an article I just read about the extreme drought happening in the US corn belt due to dry weather, the meteorologist from the article stated that there is no significant rain in sight either!

My ex told me that they began feeding hay today where we live because the fields are all dried up and there is nothing to graze, this is significant and the worst year in decades.

Is there a dust bowl coming for the mid west? I think it is very possible and no amounts of rain will change that in the short term.

What will change are the prices of food at the grocery and the rising cost of ethanol based fuels.

Perhaps a new thread is needed here but I figured this one will do for now, as for me I am going out to plant a few more rows of sweet corn for my family. Grandpa says you can plant right up until the first of July for a late fall harvest.

My main concern is that with no winter to speak of last year we have huge swarms of insects that are hungry and eating anything that has liquid in it like my gardens.

Oh well, off i go back into the hottest day on record since the early 50's...

This is crazy people, get your gardens in, plant in boxes or bags, anything just get some supplemental food going if you have not already.

I am telling you, get off your butts and get outside, use your intuition on this one, Plant, Plant, Plant!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Just wanted you to know I have dusted off your thread and would love to talk with you about the danger of what we face this year. One year can make a big difference but now 2 years in a row, we are in deep trouble and it is not going to get any better.

You know it would be great to get a green house or 10 going to feed your neighbors locally this winter. I plan to grow for my family and friends, stuff like cabbage, turnips, spinach, kale, lettuce, radish, really anything that can be done by green house and cold frames to extend the fresh food I will not be able to afford this winter, plus it is so GMO I cannot stand it. really huge difference.

top topics

join