It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shape-shifting Octopus!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Most octopusses have very short lifespans so I wouldn't wish to be one ,
but it would be very interesting if some of their abilities could be harnessed..

...and many other types of sea creatures abilities have been ,so I'd say its a good possibility..

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
A very cool video..Thanks for posting this thread i learned something new today the octopus is amazing

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

thanks for posting !!

Just Imagine a Human or humanoid doing this ! Amazing
X-Men: First Class Mystique Spotlight

Mystique - I can be anyone

a few Reptiles have a similar ability like my bearded dragon but nothing that quick nor the texture

ive posted a similar video while back

well Humans can do it with technology well sort of

Invisibility Breakthrough for Japanese Researchers

Dear

Dr Morenu

Please Make a Human with Octopus cloaking and texture ! LOL

Well the truth is that they already Made Mice that Glows

why not a human with color & texture changing skin! seeing they have done this with a mouse
the next level

Growing Nerve Cells

Glowing Mouse
www.sciencentral.com...

a Connection with a Non diseased HIV Virus to Connect the Jellyfish gene with the Mouse DNA ! Amazing

Green Glow

The development of the new method, which was reported January 10 on the Web site Science Express, drew on Baltimore's pioneering research in the genetic makeup of viruses. Baltimore is now the president of Caltech.

In the Caltech experiments, the researchers stripped anHIV virus of its disease-causing elements and used it to virally infect single-cell embryos of mice with a gene from a jellyfish.

Any number of different genes could have been selected. For the purpose of the studies, the researchers chose a specific jellyfish gene that could serve as a "marker" to indicate whether the gene transfer was successful. The gene produces a protein that gives the jellyfish a green fluorescence.

When the mice were born, they carried the jellyfish gene in their own genes. Under fluorescent light, all their major tissues and organs—including skin, bones, muscles, lungs, liver, kidney, stomach, brain, and retina—emitted a green glow.

The trait became a permanent feature of the mice's genome and was passed along to many of their offspring.

Some of the mice glowed more than others, depending on how many copies of the jellyfish gene they acquired. But 80 percent of the original mice (14 out of 17) that received the gene transfer carried at least one copy of the gene, and most of them, 90 percent, showed a high level of fluorescence.

Source:

Fluorescent Mice Herald Gene-Transfer Breakthrough

D.L. Parsell
National Geographic News
January 11, 2002
news.nationalgeographic.com...
edit on 13-9-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Oh the amazing creatures hidden oh so close to oh so many of us. I've always wondered how many other creatures that we do not know of, that could possess this same fascinating defense mechanism. !!! S&F

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that, OP! I had seen some of these in a documentation late at night about a fortnight ago, but forgot to take a look at youtube for them.

Instead I found this funny one, which could explain the reason for the camouflage:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hopenotfeariswhatweneed
wow that was trippy...just how much of this world is an optical illusion....

peace

...if an octopus can do that, it's possible then that there are other earthly animals (creatures) that walk, crawl, fly around us but we can't see them.

And if you can believe that, it's highly possible then that extraterrestrial things, beings, etc are here among us shifting into animate or inanimate objects; ie the clouds, waves, smoke, etc.

Makes you wonder !

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

WOW... you guys are blowing my mind..... that owl has me crying laughing .... brilliant

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
been looking for a video of a show i seen on BBC, in it they taught an octopus to communicate by displaying symbols on its body would love to bring it here but couldnt find it but goy these instead:

and this aamazing web page:octopus memory

Thank you op and Page for the great vids will watch many times and share.

The comment on the owl looking like cat genius, great observation.

link for video and story about video:www.ultrafeel.tv...

edit on 13-9-2011 by GreatScot because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2011 by GreatScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I love the Octopus -- it's one of my favorite critters. They are intelligent and emotional, and have some sort of visual communication language they can use with other Octopi.

I'm glad it's on my list of "don't eat" animals -- anything smarter than a dog. That includes monkeys and pigs.

I love sushi -- but I wish that Octopus wasn't on the menu.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

That is really cool. I saw a video a while back about an octopus that can change color very fast of what ever thing it was by. It is amazing how nature is.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST

Originally posted by smithjustinb
That was awesome.

My question is:

Were they implying there at the end that it wasn't the octopus that was changing its form, it was the octopus that was changing the way we perceive its form?

What a bizarre creature.

Good question!

I think they said after studying it frame by frame, they came to the conclusion we should be able to see it but we can't?

Even though they are colored blind, I think they were the first to develop complex eyes? I think they suggested that the octopus knows something a little more to objective reality, at least visually, than we do. It's goal isn't to simple blend in, but to take away any information that would reach the potential predator's eyes.

Other animals are good at camouflage, but it looks like the octopus is the master of disguise.

ETA: It's colored blind and takes it's cues from pattern recognition, but it somehow knows the colors around it to match perfectly right?, so perhaps that is what they meant at the end? It's picking up some kind of information someway, or distorting it... I'm at a loss for words on how to explain...
edit on 13-9-2011 by AMANNAMEDQUEST because: (no reason given)

Yes! I read through all the posts up to this point waiting for someone to mention the consciousness aspect behind the cuttlefish's camouflage response. Does the cuttlefish tap into the consciousness of the observer and react to suit it? Mind blowing! Another astounding feat in the ocean that is along these lines is how a shark detects blood miles away. It's not as though they are getting a sample of the blood itself. There's more to this that is reminiscent of how sub-atomic particles behave quantum mechanically. Particles are potentially anywhere and everywhere when unobserved then presto magic present when observed then instantly back to the other end of the universe when unobserved. Mind blown!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I will now have nightmares.... that is really amazing.

Thanks .. I think.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

awesome video!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

that owl was like "hey don't mess with me man i'm all poofity.... if that don't scare you then i'l transform onto death metal owl""

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Everytime I see a title with "shape shifting", I click on it out of pure morbid curiosity....but WOW! Absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing and you too Phage. I've always watched the shows on wild life and have never seen these animals perform and I cannot for the life of me recall ever knowing that the octo could do that. I know of the ink but the camo has me floored.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Reminds me of this:
xkcd.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Wow, that is utterly amazing. It truly is.
That owl... was super scary though. Lol

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Go look at more of the videos on utube.
that was not the best.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I love Cephalopods. They are really intelligent too. I've seen video of them getting a twist lid off of a jar. Quite amazing animals.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
These animals are truly remarkable and a reminder of just how wonderful the wildlife around us really is.

Thanks for the video.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join