It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: The Last Hours in Najaf

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Defense Minister Hazim al-Shalaan said "We are in the last hours. This evening, Iraqi forces will reach the doors of the shrine and control it and appeal to the Mehdi Army to throw down their weapons," and told reporters, "If they do not, we will wipe them out."

www.reuters.com
NAJAF, Iraq (Reuters) - Iraq warned Shi'ite rebels besieged in a shrine in Najaf to surrender or face an attack later on Tuesday that would "wipe them out," as government forces entered the battle zone for the first time.

U.S. attack helicopters fired missiles and strafed militia positions in an ancient cemetery that adjoins the Imam Ali mosque, where most of the Mehdi Army loyal to radical cleric Moqtada al-Sadr have holed up during a three-week rebellion.

With fighting raging in the city, U.S. tanks reinforced positions along the southern flank of the mosque. Black smoke rose from the area and automatic gunfire crackled after a bombardment from U.S. warplanes and artillery that lasted well into Tuesday morning.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The battle is coming to a head and this looks to be the final chance for Al-Sadr and his army to surrender. Reports on FNC also say the battle is intense and that the US has stopped using it's tanks to avoid damaging the Holy shrine where the militants are holed up.

Related News Story:
Iraqi Troops Will "cleanse" Shrine Of Militia Soon

[edit on 8/24/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I think there are too many differnt post about this. I'll be glad when it's over. This is like the OJ trial or that other nut in California that killed his wife and unborn kid. I'm sick of it. They need to take them out so I wont have to hear about the Muslems whinning about their stupid shrine anymore.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut
They need to take them out so I wont have to hear about the Muslems whinning about their stupid shrine anymore.

I'm curious. How would you feel about Russian tanks rolling into the Vatican with helicopters and soldiers shooting up the place?

This is a serious crisis.

If the US so much as scratches that shrine they will have a Shi'ite uprising all accross Iraq and Iran.

The US has been tightning the noose for two weeks now. I sure hope they know what they're doing.

I guess we will find out in the next 48hrs.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I dont believe in God so I could care less. It's nothing more than a building to me. So is the Vatican. I do see your point. I don't think there will be a major uprising if it is damaged. I do think it would be a shame to damage such an historic place though because of a bunch of spinless trash that can't be trusted by their word.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Mahdi army flees shrine as US steps up offensive

"Mahdi army fighters loyal to the Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr had largely abandoned Najaf's Imam Ali shrine yesterday before American forces launched a massive offensive, which was under way last night.

Sources inside the resistance movement said the majority of the militiamen slipped out of the complex after a secret order by Mr Sadr five days ago.

Mr Sadr has not been seen in public for many days, and police drove around Najaf with loudspeakers yesterday declaring that he had fled towards Sulaimaniya in northern Iraq. His aides denied that.

"Moqtada al-Sadr is still in Najaf and is still supervising the operations," Aws al-Khafaji, the head of Mr Sadr's office in the southern city of Nassiriya, told al-Jazeera television."

Who to believe?
They might have wired up the mosque and are ready to blow it up (and blame the americans for it)...

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by esther

I'm sick of it. They need to take them out so I wont have to hear about the Muslems whinning about their stupid shrine anymore.

Thank God that not all people from Texas are as ignorant and uncultured as you.

Perhaps "stupid" is relative. A Muslim shrine should not be considered any less worthy of worship than say... an American Shrine to the Almighty Dollar, otherwise known as the Twin Towers? Seems like a shrine to me.

Oh, but that's right. Americans are always right and Muslims would do us all a favor just to kill each other off all by themselves. Might even save us some good ol' American cash, eh?

Real compassionate, man.

Get a grip and find some perspective.

esther.

Homerun. We're all humans and not caring is just selfish and arrogant and WRONG. That is undisputable.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   

I dont believe in God so I could care less. It's nothing more than a building to me. So is the Vatican. I do see your point. I don't think there will be a major uprising if it is damaged. I do think it would be a shame to damage such an historic place though because of a bunch of spinless trash that can't be trusted by their word.

You don't believe in God, but you probably believe a lot of people do. So, you have to acknowledge that it would be a massive mistake to destroy a place many people hold very important. Winning a foreign war involves winning the hearts and minds of the people, because the only alternative is to commit genocide or leave. Winning the hearts and minds is the smartest way to do it.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
More news on this... Grand Ayatollah Al-Sistani has returned to Iraq from his London op and is asking Iraqis to march on Najaf to defend the city. They will as well.

Soon the place is going to be crawling with civilians and press - need to go in asap.

Will be an interesting 24 hours...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It's funny that everyone thinks I'm uncaring because I said I don't believe in God.

As for the shrine, what I said was it would be a shame for such an historic place to go up in smoke. Some of you turned my statement around and made it out like I think it should be blown up.

If anyone does blow up the shrine it wont be the Americans, it will be the coward stupid muslems that are following the crazed nut cleric to a certain death.

Everyone says there will be an uprising if the shrine gets blown up. I don't think so but if it does then what are you going to do about it? Post another 10 post here one after the other talking about it? There is nothing any of you can do about it. The ball is already in play.

Do you people see where I'm coming from now?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hey tex try not to take what they say to heart,
anything and everything in iran,iraq is a f!%$#* holy site its a bunch of bs
I understand that people have a right to their own belives but come on this is war

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Imam Ali mosque is sacred to a lot of people, that's a good enough reason to excersise a bit of caution and treat it with respect (which is more than Moqtadar Sadr has been capable of).

I think US & Iraqi troops have shown admirable restraint.

They need to take them out so I wont have to hear about the Muslems whinning about their stupid shrine anymore

Who are these whinning muslems of whom you speak? Whinnying muesli perhaps? Some sort of horse breakfast cereal... hmmm...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattpryor
Imam Ali mosque is sacred to a lot of people, that's a good enough reason to excersise a bit of caution and treat it with respect (which is more than Moqtadar Sadr has been capable of).

Good point matt

Moqtadar Sadr has been using this Mosque and surrounding compounds as a bunker.

I'm certainly not saying the Iraqi and Coalition forces should bomb it or anything,
but on the other hand can anyone who is a Muslim show me where it states in
the Koran that it's ok to use a Mosque as a bunker.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The BBC 'ticker' is reporting a march to Najaf, but i can only find this,

"We were heading towards Najaf but when we reached the Al-Abassiya bridge, Iraqi police opened fire," he said.

He said the demonstrators had not passed a multinational force position, where witnesses had said the gunfire broke out.

news.com.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The demonstration by hundreds of apparently unarmed Sadr supporters was headed to Najaf from the neighbouring city of Kufa, with plans to break the US-led siege there, witnesses said.

The demonstrators' chants praised Sadr and condemned interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi.

"Allawi you are a coward. You are an American collaborator," the demonstrators chanted.

A US military spokesman had no information on the incident.

news.com.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It's their country, their city, their shrine, their people, their religion, their land.

So forgive them if they don't line up in straight lines to be murdered by American troops.

Cry me a river. You have no right to be there in the first place.

Again, let me remind you, it's THEIR country, and this mosque is full of artifacts about THEIR history and THEIR culture and THEIR religion.

So get off your high horse, because guess what, you are an illegal invading force.

[edit on 25-8-2004 by Jakomo]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Jakomo, I totally agree. That is why Operation Iraq Freedom has become a debarcle.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
sanctum, Jakomo

I totally agree too, I don't understand how so many people still can think that what is going on in that country after taking Sadam is justify.

Some body with very sticky hands in this administration can not stop until it does whatever it can to get his hand the Iraqi oil, to much money at stake and to much to loose, and this will take me to how desperate this politicians and cronies are to do anything during this elections to get bush elected this elections are going to be a circus.

When large sums of money are involved people start getting concern and eventually they turn dangerous.

I think I have my own conspiracy theory about bush, cheney, big business corporation and Iraq.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

can anyone who is a Muslim show me where it states in
the Koran that it's ok to use a Mosque as a bunker.

Sanc'.

Can anyone answer my question?
Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattpryor

I think US & Iraqi troops have shown admirable restraint.

They need to take them out so I wont have to hear about the Muslems whinning about their stupid shrine anymore

Who are these whinning muslems of whom you speak? Whinnying muesli perhaps? Some sort of horse breakfast cereal... hmmm...

LOL!

I will say I hope nothing happens to the place. I hope everything works out for the better for all. We'll just have to wait and see.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join