It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial Anti-Religion Billboards Purchased

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeleneLux
Evangelical Christians is bad enough, but do we really need evangelical atheists? Whats the point? To make others lives that feel solace in a belief as meaningless as the atheistic life feels? The thought of there not being a higher power is very sterile and dead feeling.

Should they stay in the closet?

With the likes of politicos Perry and Bachmann - - - possibly running this country?

Are you Atheist? If not - - how do you know what an Atheist feels?
edit on 13-9-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ffman
I'm sure if a Christian group was to put a "pro-God" billboard, atheist groups would be in an uproar.

Excuse me??? Are you serious??? There are Christian billboards everywhere. In fact, I can see one from my house and I'm out in the country!
It's a HUGE rainbow JESUS.

Google Jesus Billboard and see how many you get.

Yet, they see no problem with these billboards of theirs.

These billboards are no more or less of a problem than the religious ones. They are the same. They both have the same rights to express themselves.

A bit of a double-standard, if you ask me.

What, exactly, is the double standard?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ffman

Is plenty of billboards around showing the wonders of God and organized religion, is nothing wrong with "groups" exercising their views, like I say it just takes the right amount of money.

The religious billboards do not bother me, neither the atheist as opposite to religious, because is a lot of propaganda posted all over in the roads and highways, but I wonder how much good can be done with all the money been spend on to put up those billboards.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99

Originally posted by jaynkeel
So I read this article and have to ask myself does it really even matter? Every time someone comes out and supports something thats not main stream it seems the rest of the world has a conniption fit.

What if someone made a billboard saying "Islam is stupid, there was no Mohammed, take off your towels"? Is that ok too?
Yes!!!

Let's take it further, to try to engage some small amount of neurons of the crowd listening -- a billboard that says "There is no Santa Claus, kids. No tooth fairy either. Your parents do all that stuff. Also, you will die someday and eventually no one will ever remember you or anyone you knew, your life is basically meaningless and pointless. Enjoy."
Just because life ends doesn't make it meaningless. The reason we *want* it to last forever is because it does have meaning while we're alive!

In the end, what matters about someone's beliefs is not whether they were true, but what effect they had on their lives.
I absolutely disagree. Beliefs are meant to model the real world. Also, you don't need to believe a comforting story is true to take pleasure from it.

I have met so many Christians with a positive spirit and who bring positive contributions to the world. I have met so many atheists who can't see beyond their own nose, whose only goal in life seems to be to spread misery, to destroy any and all faith and above all to prove to the whole world that they are right and everyone else is wrong. I know which of those 2 groups of people I'd rather be with.
Okay, Lol!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The reason it is meaningless is that the physical life is meaningless without spirit.

This is because we are all in school. Without evolution of the souls journey mans grubbing around this rock whether the deeds are good or bad has no meaning.

Personally I have witnessed many events and have had many sychronistic moments, I feel the vibration level rising, I feel the throbbing life force of Gia and the oneness of being part of Gia. This is what LIFE is all about, if you live a mundane life, most do, you are not going to feel it. Once you begin a true spiritual journey, one without religion you will have the veil removed and see the world as it really is.

It is like explaining color to someone born blind. Some do not have the capacity to see it or feel it.

Without it life is as sterile as a petri dish. It becomes nothing more than a science experiment.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The reason it is meaningless is that the physical life is meaningless without spirit.

What makes you think atheists have only a physical life?

The Center for Spiritual Atheism

Just because someone doesn't believe in gods or a deity doesn't mean they don't have any meaning in their lives. More importantly, there are plenty of atheists whose lives are VERY meaningful.

Woody Allen, Lance Armstrong, Isaac Asimov, Dave Barry, Ingmar Bergman, Richard Branson, James Cameron, George Carlin, Adam Carolla, Fidel Castro, Noam Chomsky, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Micky Dolenz, Harvey Fierstein,Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Gates, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais, Robert Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Katharine Hepburn, Christopher Hitchens, Jamie Hyneman, Eddie Izzard, Billy Joel, Diane Keaton, Michael Kinsley, Bruce Lee, John Lennon, Bill Maher, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur Miller, Julianne Moore, Rafael Nadal, Randy Newman, Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Paula Poundstone, James Randi, Ron Reagan Jr., Keanu Reeves, Gene Roddenberry, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie, George Soros, Howard Stern, Teller, Pat Tillman, Gore Vidal, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, Steve Wozniak and Benevolent Heretic...

Were (are) these people's lives meaningless? List of Atheists

This is because we are all in school. Without evolution of the souls journey mans grubbing around this rock whether the deeds are good or bad has no meaning.

That is your belief. We all have them. Yours are no more accurate than anyone else's.

Personally I have witnessed many events and have had many sychronistic moments, I feel the vibration level rising, I feel the throbbing life force of Gia and the oneness of being part of Gia. This is what LIFE is all about, if you live a mundane life, most do, you are not going to feel it. Once you begin a true spiritual journey, one without religion you will have the veil removed and see the world as it really is.

Oh, Lord! I thought you said "without religion" You have just preached your religion. But again, the above is your belief. We all have them. Yours are no more accurate than anyone else's. And your life is no more meaningful than mine.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Stay in the closet?!?! Who thinks they should do that? Why do they feel they have to be evangelical? I do not believe in organized religion but I am not about to try and shake someone faith that is religious. That is itself is wrong to do to someone.

How do I know what an atheist feels? My father was an atheist, I have been down that road and thought I was being more intelligent and logical than spiritual people.

Then I was given a series of gifts and insights over a seven year period that I cannot articulate nor will I cheapen by trying to help one that may be blind to it no matter what. Some people are able to be artists, some are not. Some have advanced enough in there spiritual journey to be past the blind faith, then past the atheistic stage and have broken through to something else.

Some just cant see it, just like some cant see art as it is supposed to be, some are just colorblind. We are all at different point of our sojourn.

Its all good.

Namaste

Oh wait I cannot say that, my God within may acknowledged your God within but you cannot feel mine?!?!?

So instead I will say:

Regards, Selene

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Oh, Lord! I thought you said "without religion" You have just preached your religion. But again, the above is your belief. We all have them. Yours are no more accurate than anyone else's. And your life is no more meaningful than mine.

Are you certain you are able to understand what religion is and what spirituality is? They are very different you know.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I am not about to try and shake someone faith that is religious. That is itself is wrong to do to someone.

Is it also wrong to try and shake someone's atheist beliefs? If it's wrong one way, then it's wrong the other way... Right?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
If I had tons of disposable cash, this is the type of thing I would do...but with many different types of topics. Nothing like creating a buzz not for the profit but for opening the minds of those who refuse to accept different perspectives.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You cannot remove something from nothing.

Please try and not be covertly hostile.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SeleneLux

So, I notice you haven't answered any of my questions. That's cool. They're tough, I know.

It's clear to me that you think it's OK to preach your religion to atheists, but for atheists to share THEIR beliefs in a billboard is wrong. That's highly hypocritical. And it's also clear that you're not as all-fired advanced as you think you are.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

reply to post by SeleneLux

So, I notice you haven't answered any of my questions. That's cool. They're tough, I know.

It's clear to me that you think it's OK to preach your religion to atheists, but for atheists to share THEIR beliefs in a billboard is wrong. That's highly hypocritical. And it's also clear that you're not as all-fired advanced as you think you are.

I have tried to answer your questions. I do not believe in religion so how have I preached anything that is religious?

Be careful I will bring out your true colors! Like this one: "And it's also clear that you're not as all-fired advanced as you think you are"

So what questions have you asked and how are the tough?!?!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Who says? You?

I happen to believe everything is energy. That consciousness is energy and energy is eternal.

I'm still an Atheist.

Like so many - you too are under the preconception that all Atheists are the same. You would be wrong.

Atheist has one meaning. Lack of belief in a Deity. That's it! That is all it means. It is the only common denominator - - - beyond that everyone is an individual.

Yes - there are "hard" Atheists who think you live and die. Which makes life even more precious. You don't live for a reward at the end. You live and contribute every day - - to the world and your own off spring. I want my contribution to count. To be something of worth to the next generation.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I have tried to answer your questions. I do not believe in religion so how have I preached anything that is religious?

You talk of Gia, vibration levels and other esoteric dogma. You have a set of spiritual beliefs. That's what religion is. And you speak it as though it's the Truth and applies to everyone. You preach about how advanced you are and that not everyone has the same capacity. I find it interesting and entertaining that someone who is so advanced spiritually feels the need to talk down to people who don't share your beliefs. It sounds just like a Christian witnessing to someone, to me.

Be careful I will bring out your true colors!

My true colors are very well known here. I have no fear that you will bring anything out that I haven't already put out there.

So what questions have you asked

Is it also wrong to try and shake someone's atheist beliefs? Yes or no.

Thanks Annee. I was trying to get around to that.

edit on 9/13/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Then I was given a series of gifts and insights over a seven year period that I cannot articulate nor will I cheapen by trying to help one that may be blind to it no matter what. Some people are able to be artists, some are not. Some have advanced enough in there spiritual journey to be past the blind faith, then past the atheistic stage and have broken through to something else.

I've had premonitions and experiences since birth.

My mom's best friend's - best friend was Gina Cerminera. My mom was one of the original members of Dr. Norman Vincent Peale's first church. My uncle was a lecturer for the Edgar Cayce foundation.

I'm still an Atheist. Which simply means I lack belief in a deity.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

You talk of Gia, vibration levels and other esoteric dogma. You have a set of spiritual beliefs. That's what religion is. And you speak it as though it's the Truth and applies to everyone. You preach about how advanced you are and that not everyone has the same capacity. I find it interesting and entertaining that someone who is so advanced spiritually feels the need to talk down to people who don't share your beliefs. It sounds just like a Christian witnessing to someone, to me.

How did I talk down to you or anyone else? It is not someones fault if they do not have the capacity to feel spirit. I am sure you are better at many things than I am. I bet you navigate the physical world much better that I do.

I am a spiritualist and that does not include dogma or religion.

Be careful I will bring out your true colors!

My true colors are very well known here. I have no fear that you will bring anything out that I haven't already put out there.

When I said bring your true colors out I was referring to an answer like the first quote of yours in this post. To walk a true path one must first "Know thyself"

So what questions have you asked

If you lead a spiritual life then you are agnostic not atheist. Spirit evolves and its ultimate goal is to be back as the one. It is a multidimensional sojourn that is infinite.

Is it also wrong to try and shake someone's atheist beliefs? Yes or no.

If you believe in nothing then how does one do that? NO it is not my path to divert or change yours, I am not trying to do anything but point out that the underlying motive. This cannot be told but only discovered. I am not a teacher, I do try and help others to discover truth.

edit on 13-9-2011 by SeleneLux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I've had premonitions and experiences since birth.

My mom's best friend's - best friend was Gina Cerminera. My mom was one of the original members of Dr. Norman Vincent Peale's first church. My uncle was a lecturer for the Edgar Cayce foundation.

I'm still an Atheist. Which simply means I lack belief in a deity.

Then you are a spiritualist with agnostic belief! Awesome! We are all part of the Godhead. We are all one. We just need to awaken.

I am glad you have acknowledged your soul.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Then you are a spiritualist with agnostic belief! Awesome! We are all part of the Godhead. We are all one. We just need to awaken.

I am glad you have acknowledged your soul.

I do not live/think/perceive from your perspective rules or your belief or what you think is right in your mind.

I am not a spiritualist or agnostic - - been there - - done that.

Can the "Awesome!" You're only patting your self on the back by trying to stick someone in your limited "box" of understanding.

I have not acknowledged a soul. You are interpreting from your own belief.

edit on 13-9-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Why is this controversial? I see pro-religion stuff all over the place and there's no controversy over that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join