It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've already googled "where to buy a gun" in my state

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Ok. Rip on me for being a dumb woman all you want.

Are you done? lol

I want to purchase a small to smallish hand gun. I've already done TONS of research and I understand my gun laws here in Colorado to a T. My best friends father is on the Swat team for Denver and I've talked with him extensively.
It's just obtaining one that's the problem. We have the Tanner Gun show that comes about once a month. That seems to be the only place where you can buy one here.
Anyone from CO know of other places? Legally of course. Is the process different if you get one at the show versus somewhere else? My friends brother was able to purchase a shot gun with $400 and a clean background check at the gun show.
My sole reason for wanting one is to ONLY use it SHTF scenarios.
Anyway, advice would be welcomed! Thank you in advance!

EDIT: After getting recommendations from posters, I realized I must have a weird search setting on my computer. I can click on "Denver Gun Shop" links that members have posted. But searching for that through google yields nothing but police dpt links and the gun show links. I am not sure why and am trying to figure that out!
edit on 12-9-2011 by PassedKarma because: edit

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I am not sure where in Colorado you are located but finding a place to purchase a gun is not hard for me. Wal-Mart sells guns, most sports/ camping stores sell guns. If you list your location I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

Look here for private owner sales armslist

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Vodo34861

Denver

When I've gone to Walmart, I see only hunting guns. But I have only looked at 1 walmart.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Give this place a call and see if they have what you're looking for.

www.gunsmokeguns.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Denver is kind of big but in general you are looking at Sports Authority, Dicks, Bass Pro Shops.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Plenty of gun stores around Denver.
I'm sure one of them could hook you up.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Private part sales are always a good option. Very discrete, completely legal, and since your friends father is on SWAT, you could probably arrange something through him.

Barring that, try Cabelas or Bass Pro shop.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
What search parameters did you use?

I don't want to copy/paste Google results here (not sure if it is a TOC violation) but by searching "Pistol Sales Denver Colorado" I immediately came up with seven hits placed on the map. One of them was mentioned by a previous poster, the others in order of presentation are:

Firing Line
www.firinglineonline.com

Scottie's Guns
www.scottiesguns.com

Denver Bullets Inc
www.denverbullets.com

The Gun Room
www.denvergunroom.com

Gunsmoke Inc
www.gunsmokeguns.com

G & G Guns
www.ggguns.com

Before you purchase, be sure to handle the weapon and preferably, fire it. You want to make sure it fits your hand well, that you can reach and manipulate the gear (safety, mag release, etc.) and that you purchase something that fits within your means. Different calibers of ammo have different costs, and if you are going to be proficient it adds up fast if you're using a round that costs $0.75 each. See if you have any indoor or outdoor ranges that rent handguns - a good way to sample a variety before you commit. Don't forget about a good cleaning kit/solvents and holster.

Good luck shopping and welcome to the club!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Maybe I'm showing some stereotyping tendencies here but I can't imagine there is any difficulty finding a gun shop in Colorado. Even in Denver it's still Colorado.

That said, have you taken the time to shoot any? Having any gun is alwYs better than having no gun but if this is really a first gun for a beginner shooter I strongly suggest finding a friend to take you shooting or a range youcan rent guns at and test drive the hell out of everything you can get you hands and make this first gun count.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tripnman

The craziest thing is going on! I can click on the link that the poster above posted for "Denver Gun Shops". But if I google it myself, all I get is the Tanner Gun Show. And then tons of Denver Police Dpt links on safety and laws. I don't have any parental settings on this computer... it's very odd.
So thank you all for the links! Without them, I don't think I would have found much. I will have to try from my desktop computer and see if that makes any difference.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I bought a .38 (right after the current Prez was elected) because it was relatively inexpensive. I wish that I had done some pre-purchase shooting with different weapons, because I finally was able to arrange to go shooting with members of the university's police force, and I've found that it's difficult for me to finish emptying the chamber. The first couple of shots are fine, but then I have trouble and struggle to finish off the rounds.

Wish I'd spent a bit more and gotten a semi-automatic!

I agree whole-heartedly that you need to do some OTJ (as it were) training...trying different guns until you find one that fits your needs.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Do you have pawnshops in your town? You can usually buy guns there.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Pawn Shops
Craigslist (private party, face to face sales)
Guntrader

There are certain options for online purchasing but they have to ship the gun to a Federal License holder who will run the background check and paperwork.

Face to face sales between private parties do not require the paperwork -but- you need to be very careful. People have been set up for robberies and even home invasions this way. If you do a face to face transaction make sure it's in a safe place other than your home and you should ask a friend to be there. (Preferably an off duty cop or someone with a concealed carry permit).

I've bought guns from licensed permit class teachers who work out of home offices and face to face. I've also bought components online to build my own and had them shipped to a pawn shop here who was willing to handle the paperwork and receive the shipment for a small fee.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
yeah well at my walmart they dont sell guns go figure they are suppose to sell them and they dont.

back in the day the op could have walked into any service merchandise,sears and jc penny and buy one

cant do that today the simple fact of today most people have no idea where to go buy one.

thats not their fault thats the last 20 years of not to make this poltical that party that starts with a D.

why i am even mentioning that is people have been brainwashed into thinking owning one is commiting a crime

when its not every person in this country has to right to buy one or as many as they want and not be told otherwise

that said the only places left are pawn shops i would buy one not a fan of used guns new guns sold by any ffl dealer.

yeah you need a license to sell guns now and find a ffl dealer

ffl federal firearms license and a search for them is easy but shouldnt be necessary

op dont let them give you any crap its not your fault its the fault of government knows best and we dont know nothing
edit on 12-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

ok .. i m done ripping you!... tell me the exstensive knowlegde from a Denver SWAT member from where you can purchase a weapon, and the state of Colorado gun laws...if this is true... you should most definatley know... ????.... umm because i know of tons of places, excluding your local walmart, dicks, sports, and etc... ... and all the laws in CO... ???

a list of Colorado Gun Laws
edit on 12-9-2011 by snowman9364 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Reply to post by neo96

Back in the day the OP could have cracked a catalog and had a full auto Thompsom sent to the door COD.

Funny thing, never had any gang-banger nonsense back then.

None of that crap started until the government thought it should start regulating consumables.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

true enough mailorder was still an option even right up until the mid to late 70s without much of a problem

cant do that today.

to the op i forgot the most important thing for new gun owners or would be owners get the proper training in safety and shooting.

that is a must one of the most important thing than the gun itself.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If your not going to use it to protect your own life if someone breaks in then why use it when the SHTF?

I would think that if someone broke in and stole your valuables, raped you numerous times and then killed you would fall under SHTF scenario.

I think your not ready mentally & emotionally to own a firearm yet...........just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by snowman9364

I meant knowledge ABOUT guns. Safety, laws, regulations. All that good stuff. In one of my posts above, I realized that when I search "Denver gun shops" I get nothing. I can click on the link a member provided for me, but if I search myself, I get a bunch of police dpt links, info on classes provided through the dpd, and one link about the gun show I mentioned. I am not sure why. I don't have parental controls on this computer. But now I know there are tons of places thanks to the members above.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join