It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was the worst job you've ever done?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Mine was a summer job working at the Middle School I went to when I was around 13, 14. I worked with the janitors cleaning the school and you can imagine the crapppy jobs they gave me, the help. For sure the grossest was cleaning off spitballs and snotballs off the walls in the hallway. Disgusting, and now when I think back, I'm pretty sure I never wore plastic gloves. Scraping the gum off the bottoms of the desks and chairs still gives me shivers when I think about it. They gave me this "freeze" spray stuff to put on the gum first so it'd freeze but it never wanted to scrape off, it took forever. I wonder how many wads of chewed up nasty gum I took off? I should have kept track...
And let's not forget the bathrooms, ah those I think I will leave to the imagination.

So, who else can remember their minimum wage jobs they slaved over for pennies?
edit on 12-9-2011 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2011 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/9/11 by masqua because: Title edit by request

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Burning crap.
Instructions:
In large oil drum mix 1 part JP8 (fuel) for every 2 parts urine & feces. Stir with long stick. Drop a match. Wait for everything to burn.

Yes it smells.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I consider my worst job as one of my easiest jobs... I used to do survey drawings of properties on CAD software and that was the most mind-numbingly boring job i've ever done. Sitting for 8 hours a day playing "connect the dots" on a computer and staring at multicolored lines all day threatened to kill my brain. half an hour after showing up for work i'd already be struggling to stay awake and that continued through the rest of the day.

I still spend all day in front of a computer, but now i'm a consultant that goes around fixing problems with computer systems... it at least keeps my mind active.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Unfortunately, where I live, we still have a few holdouts on plumbing, and a "honeydipper" was needed... I hate my job.

edit on 12-9-2011 by ShadowMonk because: obligatory second line turned out to be a third line

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Telemarketing for a tax resolution service was pretty bad. then i got canned and got a job pushing carts at "MY" local Walmart Super Center. Talk about mind numbing and back breaking. BTW brain washing was pretty intense.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Working carcass disposal at a commercial hog farm when I was 17. The money was good, but dealing with dead rotting hog carcasses a day wasn’t. 60,000 hogs and dozens would die on a really hot day if the fans in the sheds went out for more than a few moments. The best part was sorting the carcasses. The highest grade went into feed for other animals, the lowest were bound for composting and we had grades in between for rendered products.

Honestly though, I was surprised how quickly I got used to the smell.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod
Burning crap.
Instructions:
In large oil drum mix 1 part JP8 (fuel) for every 2 parts urine & feces. Stir with long stick. Drop a match. Wait for everything to burn.

Yes it smells.

You win. I won't even bother posting mine now.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Disarming mines. But being married to the wrong woman was 10x worse.
edit on 12-9-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod
Burning crap.
Instructions:

Yes it smells.

No incinerators? Must have been one of those primitive forward deployed bases.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Worst place that I ever had to work was when I did a job at a rendering plant, working on equipment.

Lasted about a week. The place smelled like a rotting groundhog carcass in the summertime, but this job took place in the winter. Made you want to vomit, it smelled so bad. Had to store my work boots outside until the job was finished, then threw them away, along with my clothing. I used about twelve spray cans of febreeze and other odor eliminators on the inside of my truck after the job was over.

I put Vicks under my nose, but the smell even overcame that.
edit on 12-9-2011 by butcherguy because: spelling of course.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Unloading tires out of my own 53ft trailer on a Miami summer afternoon. There was nothing quite like 3-4 hours of swimming in stacks of rubber that occasionally fell on me in a trailer that felt like an oven on self clean after 8-10 hours of driving to get there. Working in a turkey plant is # 2...but those horrible tires will be with me to my dying day.
edit on 12-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I sat in a little cubicle watching a machine count microchips on these reels that looked like film reels. I wrote down the count on each reel and entered into a computer. I did this for 12 hours a day. We couldn't talk to each other and we could not have any type of music. I know what zombies feel like.
edit on 12-9-2011 by angrymomma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The worst place I ever worked was Mc Donalds when I was 15. It was so disgusting in there. After reading some of the posts above, I feel bad for complaining. But ugh. (also remember I was a 15 year old girl, so everything seemed extra disgusting to me)
We never cooked the burgers all the way. The timer would go off and blood would still be dripping off of the patties. They would "cook" in the heater things.
There was always some rotten green guck coming out of the ice cream machine. Nobody wore gloves! Not even the guy who just stood there passing buns through the toaster.

I must say though, I worked at Olive Garden about 5 years later and it wasn't much better in the kitchen!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

I worked the fry station when I wasn't working the back window at a McDonalds. No amount of showers could make me feel less greasy.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Financial Sales- Too much ass kissing and BS involved in the process.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The worst job I had was telemarketing for a place that's now out of business, and it's not for the obvious reason of annoying people or being boring. I was in the business of "selling" people credit cards and discount clubs associated with them. This was about 11 years ago, and now I feel horrible for my part in the system of putting people in further debt. I won't even keep a savings or checking account these days because of my hate for the banking system. The discount clubs were even worse since they implied you would get $40 in free gas with a free 30 day membership. What you actually got was four $10 coupons to be used quarterly, so if you cancelled during the trial period you only got $10 free. It would take three months to get the discount club off your credit card after you cancelled so you paid the interest on those three months of fees after being reimbursed for the club membership. The banks were also kind enough to re enroll you after a year even if you had cancelled it, causing you to have to go thru the whole process a second time.
edit on 12-9-2011 by wiandiii because: added content

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Worst job was at a "modeling studio" where we did prvate sessions. Spraying/cleaning jon's johnson with rubbing alchol, the taste of rubber, perverted ideas of "fun"... all while smiling and pretending its the best ever, even though your dyeing inside, and want to puke... I do not allow rubbing alchol in my house. Peroxide only. The smell brings such bad memories.

And this isnt a joke. I am dead serious. And it was a job. Got a w-2 and everything. Thank goodness that part of my life is over, and I got out healthy and alive!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
rebuilding burned down house for $180 per week fr a 44 hour week =[

they played me hrd body

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Being the Field Sanitation NCO during Desert Shield (additional duy, I was a scout during Storm) made for interesting business behind the berm. Whoever screwed up had stirring duty.

I gave them a Camo pole (they were hollow alum tubes back then) and whoever was stirring had crap steaming wafting up the tube into their face until they were done.

The smarter ones plugged the tube.
But I never told 'em.

Does that make me mean?

edit on 12-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join