It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers, Hackers, Hackers everywhere in the News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Just browsing through the news today and noticed a whole lot of Hacker articles in the media. Like a lot!

Man hacks into Australia network provider

Canberra - An unemployed truck driver was charged on Wednesday with hacking into an Australian broadband network provider in an alleged crime that police say could have caused significant damage to the national internet infrastructure.

David Cecil, aged 25, was charged in a court in New South Wales State with hacking into one of the National Broadband Network's service providers and numerous other businesses and websites in Australia and overseas since May.

www.news24.com...

UK teen activist in court for hacking

London - A teenager believed to be a leading member of the Anonymous and LulzSec online activist groups appeared in a London court on Monday charged with hacking offences, including an attack on Britain's Serious Organised Crime Agency.

Eighteen-year-old Jake Davis, who goes by the online nickname of "Topiary", was charged with five offences under the Computer Misuse Act and other acts, including unauthorised use of a computer system.

Anonymous and LulzSec members have been arrested in the United States, Spain, Turkey, Britain and the Netherlands in a recent crackdown on attacks against targets including the CIA, Sony and Rupert Murdoch's media empire.

The arrest of "Topiary" in Scotland's remote Shetland Islands may be the most significant to date in the global effort to end the cyber-crime spree by the groups, who describe themselves as fighters for internet freedom.

www.news24.com...\

Gmail users hacked by Iran

Amsterdam - Experts say the Iranian government may have been behind a hacking attack, allowing it to read Google e-mail from dissidents who thought they were using secure connections.

Chicago-based internet security firm Vasco said on Wednesday its Dutch subsidiary, DigiNotar, detected the hack on July 19, compromising its security guarantees for "a number of domains, including Google.com".

The company then quietly tried to fix the damage, but was alerted by the Dutch government on Monday that it had missed Google, and perhaps others.

www.news24.com...

Hackers gather at computing ‘Woodstock’

Finowfurt - With hammocks hanging from trees and the smell of marijuana lingering in the air, the summer camp organised by Germany's Chaos Computer Club (CCC) almost felt like Woodstock.

But instead of hippies, it was computer hackers who had flooded this year's summer camp. And instead of flower power, the talk was of the latest controversies in cyberspace, especially the legality of hacking and the role of famed whistleblower site WikiLeaks.

Organised by the CCC, which fights for freedom of information through hacking, the camp takes place every four years and is a venue for computer fans to meet, debate hacking issues and try out new technology.

www.news24.com...

Huge cyber attack network found

Boston - Security experts have discovered the biggest series of cyber attacks to date, involving the infiltration of the networks of 72 organisations including the UN, governments and companies around the world.

Security company McAfee, which uncovered the intrusions, said it believed there was one "state actor" behind the attacks but declined to name it, though one security expert who has been briefed on the hacking said the evidence points to China.

The long list of victims in the five-year campaign include the governments of the US, Taiwan, India, South Korea, Vietnam and Canada; the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean); the International Olympic Committee (IOC); the World Anti-Doping Agency; and an array of companies, from defence contractors to high-tech enterprises.

www.news24.com...

Cyber crime costs $114bn a year – report

Washington - Cyber crime claimed 431 million adult victims last year and cost $114bn, according to a report published on Wednesday.
The Norton Cyber crime Report 2011 said over 74 million people in the United States were cybercrime victims last year, suffering $32bn in direct financial losses.
Cyber crime cost China around $25bn, Brazil $15bn and India $4bn in the past 12 months, said the report from computer security firm Symantec, maker of the Norton anti-virus software.

www.news24.com...

This was promptly followed by articles on the need for better cyber security…

Study: US needs cyber intelligence[/headine]

Washington - A new study warns that the US must develop cyber intelligence as a new and better co-ordinated government discipline that can predict computer-related threats and deter them.

The report by the Intelligence and National Security Alliance says the dramatic expansion of sophisticated cyber-attacks has moved beyond acceptable losses for government and businesses that simply threaten finances or intellectual property.

"The impact has increased in magnitude, and the potential for catastrophic collapse of a company has grown," said the report, which is slated to be released later this month. It adds that it is not clear that the business community understands or accepts that.

www.news24.com...

edit on 12-9-2011 by Monkeygod333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Yes, they may be from the same site but each of them are from an original articles.
Do a Google search and see for yourselves, it's everywhere.
Now I’m not making any predictions but the MSM has become such a predictable machine that one can only imagine what kind of proposed bills and laws will come from this. Internet censorship here we come?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Who the hell are all of these people and how are they so technologically saavy?
I payed attention in school(lol, reference to my supposed intelligence?) and liked computers, but never got introduced to hacking or anything remotely close to it.

a couple of them have to be false flags or pissed off IT guys.

edit on 12-9-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I am wondering if anything major is going to go down in the IT field if #RefRef turns out to be a real threat from Anonymous. Sounds sketchy though IMHO. But if real then its gonna be a game changer for the script kiddies and will be saturating the news as well.

For those that never heard of #RefRef is is supposedly a new tool like LOIC (low orbit ion cannon). LOIC was a DOS attack program that was mostly responsible for the recent arrests in the "anonymous" busts. LOIC works only if used with a mass of people using it together or a bot net. #RefRef supposedly puts that same power in the hands of one individual on one computer.

RefRef is a revolutionary DoS java site. Basically, by using an SQL and .js vulnerability, you can send a page request packet from your home computer with embedded .js file, because of the vulnerability in the SQL/Javascript engine on MOST websites, the site actually TEMPs the .js file on its own server. So now the .js is in place on the host of the site. Next since you still have the request, it picks up the .js file, and all of the requesting for packets power happens on the server, not the requestee. I send two packets from my iphone, and everything else happens on the server. Basically eats itself apart, because since both are on the server, its all a local connection

Original Story

And is being discussed here at ATS on this thread.

I felt was an addition to this thread. But if not i aplogize, i am new here and im experimenting with how to properly post here currently.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hackers exsist everywhere... there not some super being, they are simply people who understand computers better than most... its actually a relativley simple thingto do with the site tools/attitude and understanidng, they are an easy target.. much more dangerous than terrorists... because anyone could be a hacker, they dont need, money, religous veiws training any of that... they just need a computer and more knowledge than.....YOU.....

2011... the death of the religous terrorist and the birth of the cyber terrorist... stay indoors, turn off your Pc's... there watching you

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I payed attention in school(lol, reference to my supposed intelligence?) and liked computers, but never got introduced to hacking or anything remotely close to it.

If you develop a passion and you are smart you don't need to go to school. I am a senior network engineer. My major was psychology - when I went to school there were only mainframes and punch cards and the only people who even knew where the computers were were in business school. I didn't know where the computer was.

Don't even get me started on what it is like to work with freshly minted network engineers.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

School doesn't teach stuff like this, these hackers you see on the news did their own research and schooled themselves. For some people its just hard to go to a library.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Nothing new, just the mainstream media is slow as always.

People have been hacking into major networks since the early 90's. Back in the days of dial-up it was all about ownin' PBX systems and making long range calls for free, these were the real masterminds (never got into the news either). Today, majority of cases in the news its about "ddos hackers hit [insert company]", which is barely hacking as there is no skill involved whatsoever.

I guess today, with all the publicly authored "tools" available anyone can claim to be a "hacker" by pressing stupid buttons and promoting some form of revolution (tsk tsk vast majority of anonymous).

Its odd really, real hackers don't get in the news, because they are smart and will not get caught. But MSM is happy to label a 14year old as a "mastermind hacker" after using publicly available software that even your 90 year old granny could learn to use on a rainy day.

When MSM mentions hackers, its just the tip of the iceberg, there is alot more shady stuff going on completely unreported 24/7, 365 days a year. The kind of actions that will never be in the news

new topics

top topics

join