It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potentially habitable "Super-Earth" is among 50 newly discovered exoplanets

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Potentially habitable "Super-Earth" is among 50 newly discovered exoplanets

io9.com

HD 85512 b is a rocky planet about 3.6 times the mass of Earth, located right at the edge of its star's habitable zone. That means it's capable of supporting life... and the early results suggest it's a very real possibility.

It's one of 50 new exoplanets discovered by the HARPS team at the La Silla Observatory in Chile, which is part of the European Southern Observatory. This is the largest number of exoplanets ever discovered at one time, and it brings the number of confirmed exoplanets up to about 600. (The Kepler Space Telescope discovered 1,200 exoplanet candidates at one time, as
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
They estimate that the surface temperature is about 77 degrees, and that suggests there is 50% cloud cover. Of course we don't know if that cloud cover is water or something else, but it's still very exciting either way. I wish we had the capability to go there and check it out. May be time for us to start destroying another planet pretty soon. I'm becoming more and more surprised how many new things we've been finding in space, and wonder if we're ever going to find other life. Also good news when you realize that Gliese 581 g does not in fact exist.

Recently, HARPS offered some of the most damning evidence yet that Gliese 581 g, the first rocky exoplanet discovered in its planet's habitable zone, does not, in fact, exist

io9.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Ooh, how I would like to move there and start up a new world.
Take some seeds with me (have you guys seen seeds that have been in space btw? the vegetables/plants grow far bigger than usual), and just build a small community that is based upon helping each other. Explore the surrounding areas and live in a pure environment that hasn't been ruined by us humans

On a more serious note,
that is a very interesting discovery.
Was this a part of the 'Extremely Large European Telescope' release that was promised for today?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Can you include the information that says that Gliese 581 doesn't not exist? I feel that it is important enough to warrant mention in the OP.

/Disregard, i read the article as soon as you posted and did not see your second post.

Other than that, thanks OP! S&F
edit on 12-9-2011 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Ideally I think finding a race at the same tech level as us would be the best. Once we confirm each others existence the goal would be to eventually meet up. Would he a hell of a space race.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

That would be absolutely amazing. Perhaps we could meet in the middle or something, share some technology, etc...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Just 36 light-years away.
Fire a danged probe NAO!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I know right? We're practically touching already!

FIRE THE PROBES!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Life is far too prolific to be rare, as Jeff Goldbum said, it finds a way.

We are not alone.

We may be unique, but we are not alone.

Ten years ago no mainstream scientist was willing to say they thought there was life on other planets. My how things have changed.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Now we just need to discover how to go into warp speed...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Very cool and has my imagination already running.

This is what people do not understand about exploration and science like this, though it provides no real benefits in the immediate. What it does do is expand humanities mind and provide a fuller more enriching life for ALL of us down here. Regardless of starving Somalians or high living hedge fund managers, discoveries like this let anyone who gives it a moments thought, some wonder.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It's probably taken already.

Are we going to do another North American Conquest like the europeans did? That will go over well.

How's the air up there anyhow?
edit on 12-9-2011 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

this same content was already posted
by another ats member 2 hours earlier

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 12-9-2011 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Estimate and suggestions. nothing more. No matter what, it will probably take another 300+ years before we can deep space travel. and the planet gravity is way stronger than earth, another issue

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

this same content was already posted
by another ats member 2 hours earlier

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Actually, if the planet also has a much greater diameter, the surface gravity could be approximately equal to or even less than ours.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If there is a mod available please consider closing this thread as it has already was posted hours earlier..
Thank you

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

So glad you're here to police the forums. It is acceptable to have this in Breaking Alternative News and the other General Conspiracy forum. Also instead of bumping a thread you want removed, try the little ALERT button instead. Thanks for your help.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

sorry, but its only fair when duplicate threads are closed on others you shouldnt be an exception.
Also, Thank you for your suggestion.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
Estimate and suggestions. nothing more. No matter what, it will probably take another 300+ years before we can deep space travel. and the planet gravity is way stronger than earth, another issue

Why has space travel made so little progress since the moon landings?

From first powered flight to a man on the moon was 66 years, and they didn't have the benefit of powerful computers.

I'm not convinvced that it hasn't moved forward, it makes no sense that they just stopped. But TPTB have become so paranoid they feel the need to classify every project as black.

I refuse to believe that the ISS is the best they could come up with in the last 20 years, and mothballing the shuttles without a replacement doesn't add up either.

Wouldn't it be nice if our leaders decided to just tell us the truth for once?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join