It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass DDOS Attacks from China - Should we be building a virtual Berlin wall?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Several of our servers have been hit with DDOS attacks from China recently and they continue to go on.

I have a file here that can block all incoming traffic from China. I feel crazy about contemplating such a thing. There is something unethical about building a virtual Berlin wall.

What are your thoughts? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

edit on 12-9-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Difficult to tell without any further background information...

I mean if you're selling apple pies and don't deliver no sense in having Chinese viewers.. If you sell cheap noodles perhaps it's a different thing altogether.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The wall kept people in as well. No. No I do not want the internet to be filtered by the government.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CodeRed3D

Explanation: Stop having secrets and there will be NO NEED FOR ANY WALLS!

Personal Disclosure: Nobody has a monopoly on information and if they can't get it digitally, then they'll remote veiw it and the secrets will be lost anyhow! Its only a matter of time! And slowing China down is like trying to stop a dam bursting after the fact!

Next Elections lets Vote 1 China OK! (by OmegaLogos posted on 8-2-2010 @ 11:07 PM) [ATS: US Political Madness forum]

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
You may want to look into something like this.
www.cisco.com...

A DDoS appliance.

Cisco Guard DDoS mitigation appliances from Cisco Systems contribute to the industry's most complete and powerful family of solutions for detecting and defeating today's highly complex and sophisticated distributed-denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks. Working in concert with Cisco Traffic Anomaly Detectors, Cisco Guards detect the presence of a potential DDoS attack, and block malicious traffic in real time, without affecting the flow of legitimate, mission-critical transactions, thus ensuring availability and business continuity. The Cisco Guard XT diverts traffic destined for a targeted device under attack (and only that traffic) and subjects it to the unique Multi-Verification Process (MVP) architecture from Cisco. The MVP architecture imposes multiple layers of defense designed to identify and block the specific packets and flows responsible for the attack while allowing legitimate transactions to pass, ensuring business continuity even while under attack. The Cisco Guard XT 5650 delivers multigigabit performance to protect the largest enterprises and service providers from distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks by performing per-flow-level attack analysis, identification and mitigation to block specific attack traffic.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
theres plenty of ways of bypassing a simple ip range ban, probably better of working out why you are a target and perhaps let the chinese officials know as they have people doing stuff without the party getting a cut

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
People should really prepare for things like this, its like opening up a grocery store and having no plan or protection for when a person decides to rob a place.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Hell!!!! Why be on the defensive????!!!

TAKE THE OFFENSIVE TO THEM BASTARDS!!!!

If they wanna play, then LET'S DANCE!!

(Just don't harm the China's social services networks. The rest of the Chinese people are our fellow human brothers and sisters. It's only the repressive corrupt and brutal CCP commies that NEEDS TO BE TAKEN DOWN - DEFENCE, ECONOMICS, POLITICS, PROPAGANDA NEWS MEDIA, CORRUPT CCP PARTY ORGANISTIONS!!!!)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Your OP has very limited information.

What servers have been attacked? Do you have a link or something that I can read about this?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Very helpful. I'll check into installing this.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I say it depends on the nature of your website. If it is a private site with user accounts and you know there is nobody from China going to access it then I would OK it as a last resort. A better solution would be to integrate a firewall than can detect and block DDOS attacks from any location. At least that would protect you from only those on the offensive regardless of location.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
DDoS attacks are difficult to stop by definition. Firewalls, IP block lists, etc won't do a hell of a lot when your upstream link that is provisioning your service is being hammered with massive amounts of bandwidth utilization. The source may be China but odds are its someone you know or pissed off.

brill

new topics

top topics

join