It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making Profit Off Of Holidays Early Should Be A Crime

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil12day

Then when the day comes that Christmas is year round, and the true meaning of Christmas is long forgotten,

Consumerism in the guise of "giving" after being taken and renamed by the church, what was a pagan solstice festival?

Your righteous anger amuses me.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

It is REALLY sad to see how many of you are actually ok with this or who just don't care

I think it's sad that you're in such resistance to it. Why should I care? Who is it hurting? Why does it matter? Why should it be illegal? It's not that I'm ok with it. It's just not my place to butt in and try to change it. We have a society that supports Christmas ads in September. What's the big deal?

I honestly thought that of all people who would be more apt to positive change would be ATS people but obviously I was wrong.

I don't think there are many of us who see making more laws to control what people do as "positive change".

That or you're all a bunch of depressed saps who want Christmas early as if the shopping is supposed to make your lives better.

I don't celebrate Christmas. I don't shop for Christmas. I'm not a control freak. I don't care how people celebrate because it's NONE OF MY BUSINESS.
If you don't want to buy presents, don't. No one is forcing you.

Because scrooge's hate big business abusing holidays for profit.

How is business 'abusing' the holiday? How is advertizing considered abuse? You're not making sense.

edit on 9/12/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I work at a retailers in the UK and from the very beginning of september, we had Christmas stock.
Started off by putting the crackers out and low and behold, people have started to buy them!!

I am on the same page as you, but as a poster said above, customer mentality, all they wanna do is consume - Its part of their identity.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Because scrooge's hate big business abusing holidays for profit.

How is business 'abusing' the holiday? How is advertizing considered abuse? You're not making sense.

edit on 9/12/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Christmas isn't essentially about buying things for others. I suppose you could class it as abuse as the holiday has been hijacked by people wanting make alot of profit. Though considering the downfall of religion the customer is just as bad as the business for playing along.

You know what does piss me off? the Adverts. "Christmas wont be perfect unless you buy this useless piece of #" Gimme a break, Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'z

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

All you people are doing is making excuses for why it's ok

So what if there was a factory that made Santa Hats out of seal puppies, would you say it's ok because it makes jobs?

Because it stimulates the economy?

Basically what you're all saying is this:

"It's ok for greedy business bastards to abuse a holiday to make money off of idiots like ourselves because it makes jobs and gives us what we want whenever we want it. We are pro freedom for feeling this way."

Either you guys are in denial, idiots, or internet trolls.

edit on 12-9-2011 by evil12day because: (no reason given)

Did you stop to think maybe they are starting early to get an edge on the competition so they could keep a few people employed longer or pay the rent on that huge store? It is not always the way you see it. Some business owners are actually barely getting by in this economy. Selling Halloween or Christmas stuff early could be the difference between making it to spring buying season and bankruptcy.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

You DO realize it's because of your thought processes that are giving them convenient excuses to pull this crap right? You're adding to the problem not fixing it.

That assumes it's a "problem". It's only a "problem" because you decide to make it one. It's only a "problem" because some of you want to make it illegal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join