It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gene that can control chronic pain discovered

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by UniverSoul
it could be a bad thing, you could have something seriously wrong and not even know because you cant feel it

EXACTLY

Pain is the body's natural way of letting you know there is something wrong that needs to be looked at and addressed. I have an older friend who suffered from back pain going back decades [VET] he was prescribed a new pain patch [Which did the trick] so he became more active which by doing so eventually caused even more damage..

Caveat Emptor

Im 100% with you. Masking the pain will only hurt you later. Like for myself, I have degenerative disk disease (DDD) with a abnornal amount of nerve endings attached in the area. I already know this problem will get worse and worse until i have to get my disks fused one day but for now all i can do is try and hide the pain. They say at this point i might be in more pain after the surgery then i am now. If you talk to people with fused disks, they seem to be in the same if not in more pain then they are now.

for us with DDD, this is pain we have to live with for the rest of our lives. Im willing to try anything just to live a few hours with out pain and numbness
edit on 12-9-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Many suffer chronic pain through Fibromyalgia, arthritis, MS for these conditions there is no cure, any pain relief without the use of chemicals has to be a good thing.
~Then there are some like myself who has Fibro who are chemical sensitive, taking painkillers causes more problems than the pain.

I would think the underlying cause of a persons chronic pain would be investigated, before any gene treatment was carried out, just as it is at the moment.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I agree with most of your post, and am glad that you have had the chance to research this type of information. I feel that you might be missing my point still, oh well LOL.

Do you get that I'm saying environmental contaminations create the "problem"?

Yes, I get that. I even agreed. I will be blunt. I can care less about the possible minor contamination of the environment. These contaminant can't be any worse than the present pollution caused by current pharmaceutical products. You seem to be more aware than I am on this possible treatment may work on the body, so I am not in liberty to debate those details in much depth.

Give me a sufferer of chronic pain that has suffered for years. Tell them there is a way to kill the pain with out taking the pills they have been taken for years. I am confident they will graciously accept this new treatment as long as the tests were well documented and virtually symptom free. These people already know they are in pain, they don't need to worry about whether or not they will feel other pain. These people are living their life in complete unbearable pain. I personally cannot vouch for the decision they would choose, but judging by the people I know and the situations they are in, any similar type of treatment as mentioned in my OP is a god-send to them.

It's unfortunate that the world we live in does not allow to see any of the good. We all focus on the bad. That being said, it would be ignorant not to look for the bad. But we cannot ignore the good.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I can completely see the benefits of such a discovery. I do think that it should be made very clear to sufferers that this isn't a cure. But a mask. And they seriously need to know their physical limitations to prevent an exasperation of the underlying problem

edit on 12-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

I would think the underlying cause of a persons chronic pain would be investigated, before any gene treatment was carried out, just as it is at the moment.

The underlying cause HAS been investigated - they DO KNOW what the cause is - and they'd rather make a fortune treating the symptoms to keep us working, and let us die young, than clean up their crap and prevent the diseases.

"They" know - and they're blaming the victims.

today's children could be the first to die sooner than their parents

“We are in danger of raising the first generation of Americans who will live sicker and die sooner than their parents,”

today, children may die sooner than their parents directly related to obesity and other chronic illnesses. (pdf)

“We are in danger of raising the first generation of Americans who will live sicker and die sooner than their parents,”

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
I've been living with and diagnosed with mild to medium chronic pain in my lower back. I have to take some drugs that mess with my emotions to get relief. Its eather be pain free but become a zombie, emotions wise, or live in pain and be normal. Plus on top of that im given narcotics for breakthrough pain and i have to watch myself, you can be adictied to them easy.

I really hope this discovery can help someone out like me. Im 25 years old and walk around like im 90

Same here, 24 years old taking methadone and naproxen daily for pain. I would love for this new discovery to be a good thing, but quite often if it sounds to good to be true, it almost always is. Even more so when it comes to medical technology. I mean, if they could temporarily alter this protein for the precise reason of regulating pain it would be incredibly valuable. This usually translates to very expensive. However, as mentioned these proteins are also involved in regulating heart and breathing! Even if this was available to me, anytime something has a potential to ruin my heart or lungs I am more than wary. I know the medication I'm already on has a risk of damaging me as well, but I either don't take the medication and I can hardly move. Dressing myself is an astronomical task, eating even breathing hurts. However, if I take the medication I can do all of these things and more, so for now sadly I'm a slave to Long lasting Opiods.

This sounds like such an amazing discovery, I really hope that it can be a good thing, but as mentioned by another poster. Would this medication prevent us from early warning signs ? I know even after I take my meds, and it reaches it's peak effect if I twist the wrong way a lightning bolt of pain will still break through crippling me. As well, I can feel minor pain when I first hurt myself. For instance If I bang my knee or shin into a table, or stub my toe I still feel that. It just doesn't turn into a dull annoying pain after. If We could harness this protein would it cause our body to produce natural pain relieving endorphins ? If that's the case wouldn't it be only targeted to areas suffering from chronic pain? Our bodies are amazing things, hormones and enzymes can be released by glands into our bloodstream and only affect specific areas. Would this treatment work like this ?

If that is the case, I would imagine this would be even safer than current medication. Because if we got injured, we would feel the initial injury it just wouldn't stay painful for very long. Like I feel now, if I smash my knee into something I feel and react, but then it slowly dulls away. OR would activating this protein completely remove our ability to feel ? I would really hate that. When I first started my opiod pain therapy, I would get numb hands and feet by the time my pain was managed. Not to mention, sex was like beating a dead horse. It took almost a month for the rest of my body to adjust to the dosing. S&F OP, I can only hope this turns out to be a good thing. If not, I'll be making up a nice little tinfoil hat and setting up a pirate radio station in the attic.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I can care less about the possible minor contamination of the environment. These contaminant can't be any worse than the present pollution caused by current pharmaceutical products.

The contamination isn't minor - they are creating diseases and allowing them to be created as byproducts, so they can structure an industry - now an economy - around selling treatments for diseases they created.

...I know people are desperate - but there is no "good" in masks and other cover-ups.

[Great point about masks slayer, lots of stars for you.]

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

This is very inspiring. Suffering with Fibromyalgia for years on end gets to be very exhaustive. I hope whatever they get approved will also pass the FDA here in the US.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by makinit66

It is nice to see some inspiration. I hope for your sake that they come up with something that is safe and works.

It appears at least a few people would be willing to give this a try. Good luck.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
While I agree pain is there to let you know there's a problem, after the problems been identified, it can't always be helped. If you know what to do about it, but can't make the pain go away, obviously something like this is very promising.

At my young age, it's unfair that I can already say first hand that chronic pain really sucks. But, eh. The idea that modern medicine will grow so much over our lifetime, even if not immediately, is really helpful.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
You nay sayers suck big time.I am 65 yrs old and i KNOW whats causing my pain.Several heavy trauma injuries.
From years in the bush......
Ive been in pain constantly (on opoids etc) for more than a decade now.....
Ive had a few operations to kill nerves and all kinds of nerve blocks too.
Now i have to pay 150$ monthly for my own meds as the gov med plan wont cover the medicine.
The stuff is called tramadol.
It makes my gut bleed even, but im walking and managing my own life, doing stuff i couldnt do a year ago so as long as it lasts im all for it.
they can have at my genes anytime they want.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
How to use this to reduce pain

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I have fibromyalgia and neuro pain and many of the standard pain meds now just have too many side effects.

The only two so far that have worked to some effect without side effects are gabapentin and lyrica.

Opioids give me major constipation.
and they only took the edge off the pain not to any point i could ever thing about working.

Anti depressants used for pain give me BPH so bad that i took a book with me to read while i pee.
and they did nothing for the pain with me.

The only other thing that worked was MJ and i can not smoke it due to my sarcoidosis.
I would start coughing for hours from just one hit of MJ till my chest and diaphragm hurt for days,
MJ in butter or other food is the only way i can use it.

try to get good pain meds from a doctor and you can see what the problems people in chronic pain have.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It's nice to see input from both sides of opinion. Many members made good points from both sides. But it seems that anyone who suffers chronic pain is well aware of the risks of masking these symptoms versus curing them. Most obvious point is that most these diseases cannot be cured or the applicable people will not release the cures due to lack of profit. If I suffered chronic pain I would be willing to give it a shot. Luckily all my ailments are cureable with herbal remedies
(T&C's)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join