It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gene that can control chronic pain discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Gene that can control chronic pain discovered

m.ctv.ca

Scientists say they may have found a gene that regulates chronic pain, a discovery that could help researchers develop more effective and targeted painkiller drugs.

The research so far has been performed only on mice. But for the thousands of Canadians suffering from chronic pain, any research that lays the groundwork for better medications is always welcome.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
m.yaho o.com
www.indianexpress.com

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This is great news even though it is in its minor stages of development. The article goes on to discuss the targeted gene and some possibilities on how it can be manipulated. Imagine a way to kill chronic pain without the use opiates or other addictive and harmful pharmaceutical drugs. My only fear is that big pharma and friends will do everything within their power to lobby against the development of this treatment. I also fear that ithey do develop it, they would make the treatment difficult to afford. Let's hope for the best. I know plenty of people who suffer from chronic pain and would love to get off of the opiate based pain killers.

m.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'm sure DARPA or Army medical scientists found out about this eons ago.
Still, great find, hopefully this gets out to the masses!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

You are probably right. Anything we admit to having now, is probably derived from information we have secretly had access to for quite some time. It's a positive sign for this news to make the mainstream circuit though.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

even tho this will probably never come out to the public, unless its expensive..
it could be a bad thing, you could have something seriously wrong and not even know because you cant feel it

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

I haven't had the chance to look at it from that point of view yet, you may have a point. My joy of this news came from the fact that we might be able help people who are already in severe pain to get off the harmful meds they are currently prescribed. Of course the treatment mentioned in my OP has only been tested on mice. We have know way of knowing how it will affect humans. I am sure in depth research will be a requirement.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

This HCN gene codes for a protein that contributes to rhythmic activity in both heart and brain - necessary for life. When the protein is infected by a prion, the prion overrides the genetic code and the protein misfolds. The chronic pain tells the body that it's under attack.

Instead of dismantling the warning system, why not address the underlying disease? Instead of tinkering with a self-healing self-regulatory system that was millions of years in development, why not work on prevention?!?

Why not clean up the environment and stop creating prions?

Hyperpolarization-activated cation channels of the HCN gene family, such as HCN2, contribute to spontaneous rhythmic activity in both heart and brain.(supplied by OMIM)

Potassium/sodium hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated channel 1 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the HCN1 gene.

edit on 12/9/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thanks for the detailed response. Please forgive me for being such a simpleton, but are you implying this discovery would have a negative effect on humans and planet earth versus positive effects?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by UniverSoul

I haven't had the chance to look at it from that point of view yet, you may have a point. My joy of this news came from the fact that we might be able help people who are already in severe pain to get off the harmful meds they are currently prescribed. Of course the treatment mentioned in my OP has only been tested on mice. We have know way of knowing how it will affect humans. I am sure in depth research will be a requirement.

yes i agree
i would love to be able to get people of all the pointless meds.

hopefully the research gets done, cause no doubt it would be couple of hundred mil to get it into production

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Thanks for the detailed response. Please forgive me for being such a simpleton, but are you implying this discovery would have a negative effect on humans and planet earth versus positive effects?

Dhuu...

Removing the symptoms doesnt remove the cause..Right..
So before painreleave find out what is causing it, THEN
manage the symptoms...

BUT im not saying its bad, just, dont get a head of yourself on
this one...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

...are you implying this discovery would have a negative effect on humans and planet earth versus positive effects?

No kidding.

All of our industries, including medical and pharmaceutical industries, are changing the molecules that make up our planet - and our own bodies. Proteins are a key example - and "new" proteins can be infectious. ...Infectious proteins override the genetic code.

According to the source article:

What is exciting about the work on the HCN2 gene is that removing it – or blocking it pharmacologically- eliminates neuropathic pain without affecting normal acute pain.

Fact is, chronic pain is a DEW system (distant early warning) - that tells the body it's under attack. Why dismantle our bodies' warning systems? ...unless "they" don't care about our health, and just want us to keep working til we keel over and die fast. "Without any warning." tsk

Ask yourself, "What is the real goal here?" ...Because it is NOT a cure for the underlying disease.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Wonder when a treatment will be put together and implemented.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I've been living with and diagnosed with mild to medium chronic pain in my lower back. I have to take some drugs that mess with my emotions to get relief. Its eather be pain free but become a zombie, emotions wise, or live in pain and be normal. Plus on top of that im given narcotics for breakthrough pain and i have to watch myself, you can be adictied to them easy.

I really hope this discovery can help someone out like me. Im 25 years old and walk around like im 90
edit on 12-9-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TegReturns

Wonder when a treatment will be put together and implemented.

It's NOT about treatment - it's about dismantling the body's warning system by blocking the protein entirely.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Start by adding prion-inhibitors like turmeric and cumin to everything you cook. Don't forget cinnamon (anti-inflammatory), plus sage, oregano, thyme. LOTS of cinnamon. ...There are many more "super-foods" and spices that help - without mucking up the works and causing other all-new problems aka 'side effects'.

You'll feel a huge difference, I promise.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

I'm going to try and stay as polite as possible here. But you clearly missed the overall point of my post.

I agree that curing the cause of the symptoms is much better than masking the symptoms. I actually never hinted anything to the contrary. Anyone with basic medicinal knowledge knows that for some people the only way to cope is to mask the symptoms, because the symptoms cannot be cured.

So perhaps you my friend are the one who needs to not get ahead of themselves.

I know this is an open discussion board where people are meant to share their opinions, but no matter the subject there are always members who feel the need to play the devil's advocate on every topic.

Sigh, I guess that is what I set myself up for when I post any "news".

Have a great day nonetheless.

edit on 12-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: spelling

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Many people who are in pain are willing to sacrifice this. They have tried every method under the son from herbal to pharma. Regardless of impact on the environment, this treatment shows some promise. Perhaps in the future stages of development they may address the possible problems you have mentioned. Would you not agree that it would still be a better than pharmaceutical pills that not only harm the body, but also harm the environment during production?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I am sorry to hear about your predicament. I hope that something positive comes of this. I also know people in your age group who feel much older than their true age due to certain injuries/illnesses and the required medicines to treat them. It's almost a lose/lose situation no matter which way you go. Most of the effective medications are against T&C's

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul
it could be a bad thing, you could have something seriously wrong and not even know because you cant feel it

EXACTLY

Pain is the body's natural way of letting you know there is something wrong that needs to be looked at and addressed. I have an older friend who suffered from back pain going back decades [VET] he was prescribed a new pain patch [Which did the trick] so he became more active which by doing so eventually caused even more damage..

Caveat Emptor

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Many people who are in pain are willing to sacrifice this. They have tried every method under the son from herbal to pharma.

For decades I experienced the kind of pain that makes you want to get a scalpel, cut open the gut and take everything out just to make it stop. ...So yes, I was willing to try anything. ...And no, doctors and medicine never really helped - except that angioplasty was a bit of a miracle. Too bad I no longer "qualify" for that treatment.

...My own research led me to understand the underlying prion-cause, and to find natural treatments that inhibit prion propagation. ...These spices, herbs and foods really do work. 'Course they're not a majic pill, which hardline consumers seem to need.

Regardless of impact on the environment, this treatment shows some promise.

Do you get that I'm saying environmental contaminations create the "problem"?

Perhaps in the future stages of development they may address the possible problems you have mentioned.

"They" have been aware of the problems, effects and causes for more than a century - elucidated as 'protein' by Pauling in 1950. But instead of "prevention," they've been working "response for profit," aka a medical interventions and lots of pills. ...Focusing on treating the symptoms, while letting the problems progress - to "protect the economy."

Would you not agree that it would still be a better than pharmaceutical pills that not only harm the body, but also harm the environment during production?

No. In any event, the article says they're looking at removing the gene, or blocking it pharmacologically - that would be a pill. And more environmental contamination.

Again - look at the underlying goals and strategy here: Why dismantle the warning systems that tell us to stop working and let our bodies heal?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join