It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun-Moon-Venus Trinity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Goddesses were important before God the Father, Sun and Holy Spirit trinity took over religion-politics-economics. The trinity that interests me right now is the ruling pantheon of Sun-Moon-Venus - and especially Venus. I like it that this trinity respects two female dieties but am most interested in why Venus is seen as having similar power to the sun and moon to affect our planet.

Called Astghik in Ancient Armenia, Venus was goddess of water, war and love, sensual love, beauty and fertility. Importantly, she is the third deity in the ancient Armenian trinity after the male sun god (Aramazd) and female moon goddess (Anahit). "Astghik" translates as "little star" and is assumed to be Venus - considered a planet in the Calendar of the Mheri-Dur.

Astghik is one of the astral trinity in the pantheon of Armenian deities, together with Aramazd (the sun, the father of deities and the creator of heaven and earth) and Anahit (the moon, the Great Lady and Mother Deity). …

Velikovsky aside, I do wonder if maybe there is another planet or body that occasionally "follows" part of Venus' orbit, and appears to be that planet for a time, before affecting Earth.

Venus is an important planet in many cultures' myths, legends and calendars, like the Maya. I have no doubt there is good reason for this.

Does anyone know of other Venus trinities in other ancient cultures? Or myths that describe the Goddess as both a harbinger of war AND as the goddess of love and fertility? Legends that outline her role in causing radical change? Stories that say she shepherds in times of great peace and fertility after causing upheaval?

Thanks,
~ sofi

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Venus is an important planet in many cultures' myths, legends and calendars, like the Maya. I have no doubt there is good reason for this.

Venus is much brighter than any star. It doesn't 'twinkle' and more importantly it goes from being the Evening star to the Morning star on a regular basis. Other than the Moon and Sun it is the most noticable thing in the sky -ancient people noted this and awarded it high status in their religious imaginings.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Other than the Moon and Sun it is the most noticable thing in the sky -ancient people noted this and awarded it high status in their religious imaginings.

I suspect there's much more to it than just that. ...Many myths accord Venus a great deal of power. Of special interest are the ones that give her credit for being alternately destructive and life-giving fertile. Methinks the notion that the ancients were simply describing her regular 'disappearances' misses the mark.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Other than the Moon and Sun it is the most noticable thing in the sky -ancient people noted this and awarded it high status in their religious imaginings.

I suspect there's much more to it than just that. ...Many myths accord Venus a great deal of power. Of special interest are the ones that give her credit for being alternately destructive and life-giving fertile. Methinks the notion that the ancients were simply describing her regular 'disappearances' misses the mark.

Most religions give their gods great powers and reflecting the powers of nature, which are alternatively destructive and life giving.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Most religions give their gods great powers and reflecting the powers of nature, which are alternatively destructive and life giving.

Hmmm. I would say that the ancients observed powerful phenomenon, investigated cause-and-effect, then assigned anthropomorphically flavored deification for teaching purposes. Anthropomorphic deification being a way to package and communicate fairly abstract and inaccessible knowledge. Early marketing as it were.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Hmmm. I would say that the ancients observed powerful phenomenon, investigated cause-and-effect, then assigned anthropomorphically flavored deification for teaching purposes. Anthropomorphic deification being a way to package and communicate fairly abstract and inaccessible knowledge. Early marketing as it were.

Religion was our first attempt at explaining nature and the forces around us; why did my neighbor sicken and die, why I did not? What causes thunder, etc, gods especially ones with human like failings seemed to have been a good start, religions have evolved over time to reflect common sense, observations and to take in bigger questions. Science is our second attempt

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Some ancient cultures' sciences, especially astronomy, were exceptionally advanced. I think there's a difference between how knowledge and wisdom are packaged and presented 'for posterity,' and the background knowledge upon which such 'explanations' are based. ...It's the background knowledge that interests me - even tho it's mainly accessible through myths and legends created for ordinary folk.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Howdy

What do you mean by ' exceptionallly advanced'? Compared to what?
edit on 12/9/11 by Hanslune because: Added 'compared to what'?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

alternately destructive and life-giving fertile.

In other words...female.
Let me soften that a bit. A spoiled female. A diva.
edit on 9/12/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

alternately destructive and life-giving fertile.

In other words...female.
Let me soften that a bit. A spoiled female. A diva.

Dogmatic, pedestrian, culture-bound, unoriginal interpretation.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Howdy

Hi.

What do you mean by ' exceptionallly advanced'?

They did math.

...' exceptionallly advanced'... Compared to what?

Erm. Half the population of the continental USA?

edit on 12/9/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Howdy

Hi.

What do you mean by ' exceptionallly advanced'?

They did math.

...' exceptionallly advanced'... Compared to what?

Erm. Half the population of the continental USA?

edit on 12/9/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

I understand the reference but in reality only a tiny minority of people could do math in ancient societies - not counting those doing business arrangements

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I was joking. It was late. And I don't do math.

...I'm intrigued by Astghik, and looking for other cultures/subcultures with a similar Sun-Moon-Venus trinity. ...I'm also looking for a topographical map of the region including Van/Mheri-dur and Gobekli Tepe - and any evidence the centers were linked by rivers during flood times - the ancient land "Nairi" translates as "land of the rivers." I suspect the important pre-Neolithic centers are high and relatively inaccessible now that the rivers have dried up. ...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Just adding an interesting facet regarding the geocentric movement of Venus. Click on 'Start' and let the applet run a while and you'll see an interesting and very symbolic feature take shape.

Certainly this was noted by very old cultures and meaningful as one of humanity's most universally accepted symbols.

How this fits into what you're looking for, I don't know, but I'm certain that motion played a huge role.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Oh my. Certainly reminiscent of much 'folk art' - thinking Islamic art, Celtic knots...

So great. Another distraction. Thanks so much masqua. ...Really. Tres cool!

THANKS - great link.

edit on 13/9/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

This shape can also be seen in the synodic points Venus makes with Earth at close approaches. There are 5 such close approaches (inferior conjunction) over an 8 year period with a return to near the same location which is shown in your applet.

These dates and positions are accurate.

This five pointed star repeats every 8 years as it advances clockwise 2.44 days each time. Each point of the star moves to the top position in 243 years (5x243=1215) making one complete rotation in 1215 years.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Thank you very much Devino. S&

...also note that according to some sources, Comet Elenin (aka Nibiru, Planet X) might be in alignment with the Sun and Earth around that time too (June 16, 2012), along with Venus / Atsghik.

The Search for Planet X: INTERVIEW AT NASA ABOUT PLANET X

ALSO NOTE: The Venus / Atsghik myths clearly indicate that times of plenty (fertility) follow the period of upheaval (war and conflagration). ...An important footnote, imho.

edit on 14/9/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a few years ago i was quite obsessed with Venus and i could have some info that may help you. Venus can be seen as the "morning star" and the "evening star" and in some cultures Venus had two names, one for each phase. Sometimes you see Venus right before the sunrise, and sometimes you see it setting with the moon. This is the main reason for the dual nature of Venus.

www.johnpratt.com...

There is so much to Venus, and it kind of upsets me that people do not discuss it as much. Like a previous poster mentioned, Venus makes a Pentagram with the earth.

www.lunarplanner.com...

There is something crazy about the Earth-Venus relationship. We are locked in with Venus. We are also locked in with Mercury and (almost no one talks about this) similar to the Venus-earth pentagram, there is a mercury-earth hexagram (six-pointed star).

www.mikecrowson.co.uk...

Remember that about every 120 years, viewing from earth, we watch Venus cross in front of the Sun.
Ancient Greek, Egyptian, Babylonian, and Chinese observers knew of Venus and recorded the planet’s motions. The early Greeks thought that the evening and morning appearances of Venus represented two different objects, Hesperus - the evening star and Phosphorus - the morning star.[8]Pythagoras is credited with realizing they were the same planet. There is no evidence that any of these cultures knew of the transits. Venus was important to ancient American civilizations, in particular for the Maya, who called it Noh Ek, "the Great Star" or Xux Ek, "the Wasp Star";[9] they embodied Venus in the form of the god Kukulkán (also known as or related to Gukumatz and Quetzalcoatl in other parts of Mexico). In the Dresden Codex, the Maya charted Venus' full cycle, but despite their precise knowledge of its course, there is no mention of the transit.[10]

There is so much more to Venus. The mayans built part of their calendar around Venus, they waged war when Venus wouldn't be around for awhile and worshiped it.

I can babble about Venus for a long time. You can check a few of my threads about Venus if you would like more information and i can recommend a few awesome books. Venus & the pentagram go back over 4000BC, the freemasons understood it and many more civilizations.
edit on 19-9-2011 by BeastMaster2012 because: (no reason given)

Here are my 2 venus threads, worth checking out:
When was Venus first seen? - Discussing the origins of Venus
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Lucifer = Planet Venus, Not Satan
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 19-9-2011 by BeastMaster2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

Thanks BeastMaster! S&
...much to discuss there! btw - am looking at ancient cultures using Venus and Jupiter in their calendars - suspect Mars important too, but not there yet. ...I will be back tomorrow - right now have major sniffles, foggy brain and screeching birds that need covering. 'nite

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

I too have been a little obsessed with the study of planet Venus. It all stared for me with the thread "Was The Planet Venus a Comet?" It was from that absurd question, or one I thought was absurd, that led me into this revelation of understanding about our closest neighbor.

It was through the research for the information in that thread, and talking about it with a friend, that I was given a book to read, by that same friend; "Worlds in Collision" , by Immanuel Velikovsky.
More information here, Velikovsky Archive.

I was amazed at the information in that book that Velikovsky presents that correlates to recent evidence of Venus possibly being a relatively new planet to our solar system, Venus having a comet tail, of Venus possibly being responsible for the near complete destruction of Earth and the renewal of life.

I very much enjoyed participating in your thread, "When was Venus first seen?", yet missed the other thread you linked, "Lucifer = Planet Venus, Not Satan". I'll have to read through that one now. My interest in the planet Venus is still alive although rather dulled. Perhaps with your reply here that will change.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join