It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen if Elenin crashes into the sea?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Now i know Elenin probably won´t hit us, but after seeing this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... about Elenin slowing down, and may actually hit us sometime next month... i started thinking.

What would happen if it hit us but somewhere in the sea? Say in the middle of the atlantic ocean somewhere where it´s really deep. There would be a big splash of course, and probably some giant tsunami, but no explosion i´d wager, so it would be far better than if it hit land. Some countries maybe would get a little wet, like japan... That´s what i think.

Anyone know better? Just to hypothesize, what do you think would happen?

Earth still here? Explosion in the ocean? How many casualties?

I honestly have no idea.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
im no expert, hell i'm barely an amature but i think it'll be 100 times worse than the movie deep impact.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
There would be a big splash.
A hell of a lot of steam and debris, and probably a major extinction event, if not total.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Elenin is only supposed to be a couple hundred meters in size is it not? Most of it'd probably burn up on entry, and then, depending on the angle it hit, cause a little ripple, which may or may not topple a rubber dingy
Best you could hope for, is that it hits at a nice accute angle, skims a little, and bounces into Bushes face, taking it clean off.

link   
We will all f***ing die.
But let's not fear monger about the absolutely impossible.

link   
If you know the size, mass and speed and all that stuff, you could always try Impact: Earth!
linky
edit on 12/9/11 by LanceDH because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Hey, didn't you hear, Elenin is made of unobtanium and adamantium, it will not burn up in the atmosphere, and moreover will speed up upon impact to increase devastation.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
On a lighter side. Any ATSers into surfing? Ride that wave.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think this is wrong area, but i think we would all die.

*Blub blub blub*

Ima laugh if elinen gets melted down to a pebble before it reaches us

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Elenin isn't going to crash into anything. What is this morbid fascination with an unremarkable comet that has broken up and was never going to come anywhere near the Earth? Why are there so many lame excuses just to make another highly forgettable and lacking in substance Elenin thread. It's not like we don't have enough already.

IRM

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Nothing....a ball of ice...like Elenin would melt as it passed through the atmosphere.

I cant wait for this to all pass...then no doubt we will be on another thing

The world isnt going to end, you are not the first people to believe it would....its been going on for thousands of years...and we are still here

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Have you even seen a water mellon shot by a bullet?

The bullet in is only traveling several thousand miles per hour. The comet is traveling at 10x the speed of a bullet.

Do you think a bullet made of ice will kill you?

It has less mass but it still will pass through you with a similar effect as a bullet but with less kinetic energy.

The mantle is comprised of material with the consistency of chewing gum and should react to a large comet (50 miles wide) like the water mellon does when struck by a bullet.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
NIce, I woke up today. Got my coffee and pondered aloud, "I wonder what new Elenin threads there will be today". Another gem of a thread I must say.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
If my mother in law is skinny dipping at the time

Elenin should rebound off her huge a$$ and launch back into deep space

probably take out a nice chunk of the moon on its way

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

If it was to drop in the Atlantic Ocean America and europe will get wet not Japan, it would have to drop in the Pacific to affect Japan would it not?

Anyway I believe that if it did hit, on land or in the oceans, the whole world would feel the effects of it. Some more than others but overall global destruction will be the dish of the day.

link   
Elenin was less than four kilometers across. It now appears to be a dust cloud. If this dust cloud were to collide with Earth, we would have a meteor shower. The extra dust in Earth's atmosphere might lead to short term global cooling. Rather than cause doom, it might actually do us a favor.

link   
Honestly who cares about elenin if you have bought into this deep space bull crap good for you. Lets look at it this way it has never been proven of an asteroid destroying the earth why dont you worry about the things that are currently happenong like earthquaukes, tornadoes, tsunami have there not been enough "natural" disasters for you lately.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Check using this tool, you can calculate the effects of any type of asteroid/comet. Type in the various attributes of the object, velocity, angle of entry, material its made, if its going to strike the ocean or land ect, and it will give you precise data of the impact

impact.ese.ic.ac.uk...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

It's because it's the Holy Grail of a unified conspiracy theory. People were able to link this aliens, Nibiru, Calleman's Mayan calendar, 9/11, NASA, and even EU hypothesis. If these people finally admit that Elenin is just a harmless little comet it will mean that they pretty much wasted a year of their life chasing down a false lead. It's a classic case of cognitive dissonance. It's easier for the brain to come up with the most implausible scenarios than to admit that it was wrong about a belief.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
reply to post by Acidtastic

Hey, didn't you hear, Elenin is made of unobtanium and adamantium, it will not burn up in the atmosphere, and moreover will speed up upon impact to increase devastation.

How do u know of what is made? Have u or anybody taken example of it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join