It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion at French nuclear plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Explosion at French nuclear plant

www.bbc.co.uk

There is a risk of a radioactive leak after a blast at the southern French nuclear plant of Marcoule, media reports say.

One person was killed and three were injured in the explosion, following a fire in a storage site for radioactive waste, Le Figaro newspaper said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.myfoxphoenix.com

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I'm not too sure how serious this is, but could be very problematic. There isn't too much details out there currently though - I expect more details will come out over the next few hours. Fingers crossed any radioactive material is contained.

According to Reuters local police have said it is currently contained, just hope it stays that way

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this..

Being a French site, you can expect that whatever the result is it will be minimized, justified, and wrapped up in the most attractive box they can fit it in.

I will be following this story closely - last thing we need is another radioactive release.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
thread up 30 minutes ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
The plant has a pressure water reactor used to produce tritium, RSOE Emergency and Disaster Information Service has rated the damage as "heavy" and seems to also be scant on details. The present update from them is here.

Please note, in the email alert it states "Damage level: Heavy (Level 3)" and the site moderate, 3 bars.
edit on 12/9/2011 by LilFox because: Explaining discrepancy in data

Another discrepancy in data: (statement claims no reactors)
At least one person has been killed in an explosion at a nuclear waste storage plant in southern France. Authorities said there was no leak of radioactivity after the incident at the Marcoule plant in the Gard region. "Right now, there is no release to the outside," a spokesman for the Atomic Energy Commission (CEA). Marcoule is a nuclear waste processing site that does not include any reactors. It produces MOX fuel from a mix of uranium and plutonium oxides recycled from nuclear fuel. The explosion took place near a furnace, the spokesman. At least three people were reportedly injured in the blast. A security cordon is in place.
edit on 12/9/2011 by LilFox because: Discrepancy

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Odd, officials are telling the MSM that there is NO risk of a leak, and that there ARE no leaks.

France depends on nuclear energy for about 78% of its needs... They also produce MOX fuel for their own use and sale to other nations...

No worries, move along now, if there is a leak it may take years to show damage in the human population.

Don't Panic!

Radiation can be good for you.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
aww i hope we dont have another major leak... we are messing are home up.....

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 281011

Oh god here we go.

There were no radioactive leaks after the blast, caused by a fire near a furnace in a radioactive waste storage site, a French nuclear official said.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Let's hope for once, in regards to the whole nuclear industry, that this is the truth.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 281011

You beat me to it!!!

Just saw this on:

www.thesun.co.uk...

The headline makes it look pretty bad but if its cntained already then i'm happy with that but what if its not?

The last thing we ned is another problem with Radioactivity in the Air and i live in England.... pretty sure i blow this way!!!

I still dont believe tptb went ahead with all this Nuke Power when there were plenty of protests about it in th early days!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Apparently this isn't important, no one is watching this.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
Apparently this isn't important, no one is watching this.

Yes, they are. There are many other threads that are already going before this one was posted.

But I live here, just a bit north of Marcoule, on the Ardeche side, and here they said it was an oven which exploded and from the beginning they have monitored it and claim there is no leakage. They took no measures to isolate the other employees or have them leave, and the explosion did not cause fire to spread or anything. It is being reported that the emergency is over. (not for the victims of the explosion, of course).

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
oh dear another japan

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
Let's hope for once, in regards to the whole nuclear industry, that this is the truth.

I would never trust the french. After chernobyl they were the only country in europe stating that no nuclear fallout came over their country and their population is safe.
They always lie, they are even worse than the japanese.

Living basically next to them, i hope it's nothing serious

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

I would just never trust anyone within the nuclear industry, full stop.

Private insurance will literally go nowhere near the Nuclear industry. That one massive corrupt industry (Insurance) will not go near another one (Nuclear) says it all really.

Here is a list of previous accidents in the massive French nuclear industry.

af.reuters.com...
edit on 12-9-2011 by Peruvianmonk because: Added Link

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 281011

i just checked to see how far the plant is from paris. it's 345 miles.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ozmaoz47

Doesn't really mean much if plutonium particles have been emitted in to the atmosphere. They can travel thousands of miles.

Why is plutonium a human concern?

Plutonium emits alpha radiation and low-energy x-rays, which are easily absorbed by tissue. The alpha radiation travels only about a quarter of an inch in air and cannot penetrate the skin. Therefore, if plutonium remains outside the body, it is generally not harmful. Plutonium is very toxic if it enters into the body because the alpha radiation can damage living tissue. The larger the "dose" in the body, the greater the toxicity. Human exposure occurs mainly by breathing contaminated air or ingesting contaminated food or drink. Breathing is generally the route of most concern.

When plutonium particles are inhaled and lodge in lung tissue, they continue to give off radiation internally. They can remain in the lungs or enter the gastrointestinal tract and the bloodstream. About 80 percent of the plutonium that enters the bloodstream goes either to the liver, bone or bone marrow, where it is retained for years, damaging tissue nearby. That damage may later develop into cancer. Common forms of plutonium do not dissolve significantly in water or body fluids, so little ingested material is actually absorbed into the blood from the gastrointestinal tract.

www.cdphe.state.co.us...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by ozmaoz47

Doesn't really mean much if plutonium particles have been emitted in to the atmosphere. They can travel thousands of miles.

Just as well no plutonium got released then.

Also jsut as well this is not a power station or a "nuclear plant", and it has no active reactors - phew........

top topics

join