It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call of duty & console gaming destroying independent thinking

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I was told about a disturbing documentary on TV a couple of weeks ago regarding games and what they do to young personalities.

Games like COD destroy empathy in children.

My recall of the story might not be accurate but I think the gist is there.

Mighty bold claim however to make, when you yourself admit you're not sure on the accuracy of this and with a lack of reference to said study.

I submit that it's a load of twaddle!

I bet if you get a bunch of kids and put them in front of Spongebob for an hour, they'll be acting different to the kids who have just spent a boring hour doing boring arithmatic, to see just how bad spongebob is on kids and mental development.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
the only thinking i see from online COD players is racism, shouting excuses and some idiot playing music in game chat. do i have to mute everyone?

Get of hacked servers and dodgy setups without PB.

lol, man, I almost had an experience like you describe once.... But I quickly found the local cod2 servers, and never went back to those idiotic hack fest moron infiltrated servers.

"Real life, meh.. not much going for it really... I walked by an alley once, all I heard was screaming, swearing, and people fighting. Not my cup of tea, life... too many nubs..."

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

No.

Having been around when the first ones came out.

No.

Escape from Castle Wolfenstien, my first FPS. Unless you're suggesting that apogee and all the old software crews, filled with joyous teens and young adults who've spent far too long coding in z80 assembly on their commodore machine to have a tan but can squeeze every tick out of their code, were actually US Millitary personel, whomping out $49 titles for 10-17 year olds so they can learn to be cold hearted killers and fight for the nwo.

NO.

I'd have more confiodence that FIFA and the sporting games which are actually sponsored by the industry, would have such an eagenda.... but it's just ... you don't learn to shoot a gun or kick a ball with your right hand and wasd keys.

edit on 12/9/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: make sense damn it man!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

Are you sure it doesn't destroy thinking altogether and invoke mindless innate responses to substitute an individuals idea of intuitive thought for repelling of advances and coordinated killing.

OOOH RAAA!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

It's an example of your low intelligence that you're more concerned about a game than our crumbling school system and increasingly tasked prisons that seem to fill up the moment we build them. Maybe when people realize games don't matter then we'll have some progress.

But seriously, it's like two religious people fighting over which god is right.

If our world doesn't wake up, real life will become a warzone just like the games you play. But you'll quickly find out that real bullets hurt and this game called life doesn't care about you.
edit on 12-9-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I went from PC gaming to the PS3. I do see what you're talking about OP. With COD: Black ops I lost faith in the COD franchise. The only part of it I play anymore is the zombie portion. I mean come on it's slaughtering zombies!

If MW3 is on the same page as Black Ops I'll probably pass on it. I've heard good things about BF3 so I might give it a try.

I do miss the days of COD: United Offensive though.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

It's not the game in itself I find impressive it's the experience, I think the mass appeal is the fun of playing live matches against live people around the world. The main reason people keep buying them is to stay current and play a game that other people still play often. Overall I think you have an ok argument except that last bit on the PC's, people stopped playing on PC's because its expensive and very limited to what you can actually play. (not to mention many PC players cheat and mod constantly). Another thing building a pc doesnt make you smart it just proves you can plug things in lol.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

i agree, call of duty sucks. id rather play battlefield 3

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Until you've actually participated in the development of a multiplayer game, especially a combat sim - you have no clue what you're talking about.

The process of trying to "balance" a game is what ultimately makes or breaks it. COD has had an incredible run of success and that success enables them to do a lot of things they wouldn't be able to otherwise. As the franchise continues it will have its high and low points.

My COD preferred experience would be one of more strategy, with more intellectual players in true cooperation against historically accurate opposition.

Unfortunately, the people who pay the bills at COD Inc, the most prevalent group of consumers, are kids. Most of them have zero desire for a strategic or intellectual combat sim. They want to drop nukes on other players and be "Universal Soldier".

We're basically in a holding pattern until the next big leap in gaming. Every new console, better gpu, denser storage format = small jumps on the way to the ultimate destination of gaming.

With more storage and processing it would be great to see the inclusion of multiple user experience. This is including different versions of a game, basically. Various implementations of game balance, focus on different goals, strategic play vs. rambo style, etc.

We're probably less than 20 years away from being able to record directly from the human brain. Not too long after that we will be able to "play back" scenes recorded by one person into another person's mind. This is when gaming will become what it has always been meant to be. You will lay back, close your eyes and "dream" the game. It will be like a real life experience to you with all the senses of reality - sounds, smells, etc.

When that day comes there will be huge debate over people who prefer to "live" in a matrix than in real life. If we should limit the amount of time people spend in "sims", etc. It's much, much closer than you realize...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Its the obsession with graphics thats really killing games

because if i hear another dumbass from all my countless arguments who argues about how better graphics are and nothing else, i will skin him alive

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I kick ass at Black Ops, among many other Xbox-Live games, and I can tell you that I am much smarter than your average fella from the street.

But I will say that the people on Xbox Live are more often than not idiots, but lots of the time they're young. Lots of "your mom" insults, constant racism, non-stop arguments, I wouldn't be suprised if some kid got traumitized by some of the things that people say on there

edit on 13-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity
Until you've actually participated in the development of a multiplayer game, especially a combat sim - you have no clue what you're talking about.

The process of trying to "balance" a game is what ultimately makes or breaks it. COD has had an incredible run of success and that success enables them to do a lot of things they wouldn't be able to otherwise. As the franchise continues it will have its high and low points.

My COD preferred experience would be one of more strategy, with more intellectual players in true cooperation against historically accurate opposition.

Unfortunately, the people who pay the bills at COD Inc, the most prevalent group of consumers, are kids. Most of them have zero desire for a strategic or intellectual combat sim. They want to drop nukes on other players and be "Universal Soldier".

We're basically in a holding pattern until the next big leap in gaming. Every new console, better gpu, denser storage format = small jumps on the way to the ultimate destination of gaming.

With more storage and processing it would be great to see the inclusion of multiple user experience. This is including different versions of a game, basically. Various implementations of game balance, focus on different goals, strategic play vs. rambo style, etc.

We're probably less than 20 years away from being able to record directly from the human brain. Not too long after that we will be able to "play back" scenes recorded by one person into another person's mind. This is when gaming will become what it has always been meant to be. You will lay back, close your eyes and "dream" the game. It will be like a real life experience to you with all the senses of reality - sounds, smells, etc.

When that day comes there will be huge debate over people who prefer to "live" in a matrix than in real life. If we should limit the amount of time people spend in "sims", etc. It's much, much closer than you realize...

Well i frequently use the Unreal Development Kit, and Maya 3dsmax, photoshop and AAE on a daily basis, i know how hard game development is.

But your right, seems the majority of COD players are exactly that kids

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kojack
Its the obsession with graphics thats really killing games

because if i hear another dumbass from all my countless arguments who argues about how better graphics are and nothing else, i will skin him alive

Yeah so true.

D3h Sh4d3hZ Ohz Noz!!1

Yeah scrubs tend to hate the play balanced shooters like rainbowsix or socom with veterans. They know they will get exposed.

H--- even in Halo,Fear,GoW,Resistance they would get exposed by experienced vets and those games are very unbalanced.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
If you want a difficult game, try chess. You could play it for years and still not be anywhere near the best. There's also more strategy there than in any video game.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

Well i frequently use the Unreal Development Kit, and Maya 3dsmax, photoshop and AAE on a daily basis, i know how hard game development is.

You have Unreal 3.

LAN parties, Capture the flag + UT3 = basement game zombie for 8 months.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Originally posted by wigit
I was told about a disturbing documentary on TV a couple of weeks ago regarding games and what they do to young personalities.

Games like COD destroy empathy in children.

My recall of the story might not be accurate but I think the gist is there.

Mighty bold claim however to make, when you yourself admit you're not sure on the accuracy of this and with a lack of reference to said study.

Ooh, you read it wrong. They were making that mighty bold claim, not me.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
If you want a difficult game, try chess. You could play it for years and still not be anywhere near the best. There's also more strategy there than in any video game.

False.

While chess is one of the most balanced games ever created there are video games that are more advanced than chess.

Like say Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Imagine chess with match-ups,more pieces, and a constantly changing board. Oh and priority,2-3/60th of a second timing,baiting,wake-up,chains and mind games. Oh and your playing another human being. Oh and every (match-up) character the whole strategy changes.

Chess is more balanced than any video game. But there are games a lot deeper than chess. Because of the speed element.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kojack

True. Its not all about graphics and some of these games do need to put more or at least as much effort towards the fun of the game as they do graphics..
But on the other hand... These are modern gaming platforms, and I'm putting out some fat cash for these things, they better look pretty too! Like Crysis 2 ahhhh what a gorgeous game. I get distracted by water in that game.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
It is not the thinking they are killing it is the soldiers they are preparing. The future could be filled with war and the best recruits are the hooked on youngsters that want to hold a real gun.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

You have Unreal 3.

LAN parties, Capture the flag + UT3 = basement game zombie for 8 months.

I've had Unreal 3 on PS3, i never got it for the PC, since my PC back then was running on a Nvidia geforce 4 mx4000.
I never played LAN, but i did play online, yeh it was fun.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join