It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Closer Look at Multiculturalism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Put simply, multiculturalism is such a well-known and familiar facet of the modern world that most could hardly imagine life without it. Likewise, most could hardly imagine how anyone would dare to criticize such an institution - indeed, we are taught from day one that "diversity" is a good thing, that the only ones who could actually doubt this are hateful, uneducated bigots and nothing more.

This is the popular, accepted viewpoint these days; one that (seemingly) few even bother question. But I am doing just that.

A few decades or so ago, multiculturalism was apparently not held in the esteem that it is today. It was in those days that people were free of such influences, free to embrace homogeneity without being accused of bigotry. I've been told of how my town was in those days - different groups of people had their own space and minded their own business. Believe it or not, it worked beautifully.

Then, something happened. Basically, a group of people came to the brilliant conclusion that letting different groups of people have their own space and mind their own business just wasn't cutting it. The rest is history.

Now here we are, at a point that was quite possibly unimaginable back in the day. I don't need to break it down for you; the state of things is clear.....and I think we can assume that all of this is due to "diversity." Now tell me.....just HOW is this a "good thing"? Just what are the benefits of diversity anyway? I gotta say, I am not getting it. Why is it that the most "diverse" areas seem to be the most dismal? Is that just a coincidence? Furthermore, I must ask why this is all apparently mandatory - if multiculturalism were so great, people would run to it; they wouldn't need to be brainwashed from birth to embrace it.

Anyway, I've got a proposal for all the liberals here: if you love multiculturalism so much, come and partake in it. Leave your high-end suburbs and come to a town like mine. If you insist on doing nothing of the sort, I ask you one simple question: Why? Are you a proponent of diversity only when you don't have to put up with it? Regardless, I'd like to hear from you.

Now to anyone here who wants to blast this as just "intolerance" or "bigotry" - nonsense. Truth is truth, end of story.

That is all.

Mod Note: The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS
edit on 9/12/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
multiculturalism in theory means appreciation, acceptance and promotion of the different cultures present in a locale simultaneously, regardless of percentages.

multiculturalism in my many towns across USA as i see it today, is the smothering of minority cultures by the loudest, most numerous, and most dominant. at least in nyc and los angeles and miami, those cultures are all bla/tino.

i believe in LA, nearly 90% of the residents have some mexican,. and in NYC, the 2 largest ethnic groups are puerto ricans and dominicans. that is, 9 in 10 LA people are mexican! that's hardly multicultural, because again muticulturalism is the simultaneous appreciation & expression of ALL different cultures in that locale.

i think if you're 'white', black, and/or hispanic you probably find your city in USA rather multicultural. those of us that are asian/pacific, unfortunately we make up only 5% of Americans and whilst we may see USA on whole multicultural, we will always be the microculture in USA compared to black white & hispanic cultures here.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I'll put it like this, everybody has something to add to this world whether they are black, white, yellow or green.
In the end we are all human, why keep separating people and making each other miserable ?
Some people are just disgusting, absolutely disgusting regardless of what colour they are.
edit on 12-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Oh yes. My high-end suburbs.

So OP, what area do you occupy that's so dismal? What exactly makes it dismal? What traits do other cultures posses to make you feel this way?

From my experience, diversity is beneficial. Also from my experience, some of the newer concocted cultural traits are absolutely sickening.

Feel free to elaborate.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
It's really human nature to want to segregate each other. Have an 'us' and 'them'. Thought of logically this doesn't make any sense anymore. The problems arise with multicultralism because of mainly two reasons. 1; because governments get involved and legislate it, which puts contraints on, which against the point entirely, and 2; because certain people hold the emotion and not the logic to heart.

It's hard to make it work because the two above reasons get in the way, though on the whole - atleast here(uk), most people couldn't care either way. The apathy towards the situation is the best solution, total indifference to evvery culture is the best way forward, no preference, no demonising or stigmas attached to any group.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Multiculturalism is a tool that was created to destroy the western world(divide & conquer by bringing in those who are not of our own) from the inside and under the right conditioning the western people would believe that we are all the same so now they are either brainwashed or afraid to stand up and talk out about it......therefore the demise of the western world is inevitable.

A culture is a way of life based on the natural mentality of the people and should not be mixed.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleak
A few decades or so ago, multiculturalism was apparently not held in the esteem that it is today. It was in those days that people were free of such influences, free to embrace homogeneity without being accused of bigotry. I've been told of how my town was in those days - different groups of people had their own space and minded their own business. Believe it or not, it worked beautifully.

...dont know where you live but thats not how it was in the usofa...

...economic segregation worked "beautifully" for middle and upper class whites but not for poor white folks... in addition to economic segregation, racial segregation was forced on most everyone who wasnt white... there was even segregation based upon religion because many white christians didnt want their kids exposed to jews, not even the lily white rich ones...

Then, something happened. Basically, a group of people came to the brilliant conclusion that letting different groups of people have their own space and mind their own business just wasn't cutting it. The rest is history.

...never heard of a country like that...

...in the usofa, genocide of the indigenous population was the first agenda of the whites who invaded / immigrated here, then forced assimilation and segregation of ndn survivors, which included outlawing indigenous religions and sacred rituals... during that time, black africans were imported like livestock and treated much worse than any reasonable person would treat their four-legged livestock...

...then the whites decided they were temporarily satisfied with genocide and slavery of non-whites but segregation was still the law of the land in public schools, neighborhoods, medical care, restaurants, theaters, even at sports events... the only time non-whites were allowed to be among prim and proper white folks was if they were hired help and they were rarely paid the same pay a white person doing the same job...

...the civil rights movement of the 60s was a very good thing that was LONG over-due for a country that liked to brag about how free everyone was, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, equal and fair due process in the courts and all that other patriotic bs that never was true for all citizens...

...so, now, we have open multi-culturalism and thats another very good thing...

Why is it that the most "diverse" areas seem to be the most dismal? Is that just a coincidence?

...maybe its poverty... maybe you're exaggerating... maybe you need to get out more...

...i live just outside of one of the oldest cities in the usofa... my hood has almost every ethnicity there is and its very typical of middle class hoods all over this area... we dont have any serious problems... we all share a nice park and party together on 4th of july and new years eve... hell, kids still go trick or treatin here on halloween and there are carolling groups who walk the sidewalks during xmas holidays... cant get more americana than that...

Furthermore, I must ask why this is all apparently mandatory

...multi-culturalism isnt mandatory in the usofa... where do you live and where are you getting this crazy stuff?... been reading the turner diaries?... that crap will rot your brain...

Anyway, I've got a proposal for all the liberals here:

...you're a conservative?... a neo-con?... shouldve said that first...

if you love multiculturalism so much, come and partake in it. Leave your high-end suburbs and come to a town like mine.

...so, you're a white seperatist in a multi-cultural town?... well, if you dont like it - move... no one's forcing you to stay... arizona and idaho have a big population of white supremacists... maybe you'd be happier there...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Multiculturalism is a tool that was created to destroy the western world(divide & conquer by bringing in those who are not of our own) from the inside and under the right conditioning the western people would believe that we are all the same so now they are either brainwashed or afraid to stand up and talk out about it......therefore the demise of the western world is inevitable.

A culture is a way of life based on the natural mentality of the people and should not be mixed.

So.............if I'm reading your statement right, I'm supposed to be sitting in a grass hut in a third world country while you live the better life ?
Is that what I'm getting ? If not please correct me so that I may understand your indigenous bull#. We are all humans, the way you make some of us sound like we are a kind of subspecies.

I know you have your right to opinion as do I but it is the point of the matter at hand itself, then answer me this, are you saying certain races are better than the other or are you saying we need our own separate countries with respectable leaders ?

And what about all the mixed race people and interracial marriages in the world, where are they supposed to go ? When people say things, they need to view the perception of the whole picture; not just part of it.

We are not Stormfront, we are conspiracy theorists not white supremacists. I'll be glad to listen to your view if you specify it, thank you.

As for you OP, it's like I tell people who don't like their situation in life, either move or deal with it. Minorities aren't going anywhere, if you don't like it, pack a suitcase and go.
edit on 12-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
sorry, i don't live in my "mother" country.

there is no problem here unless you are "ILLEGAL!"

if you can say, hello, how are you, thank you, with a smile,

you will get far in any country on good vibes and the right papers, lol!

obviously ya gotta learn more to integrate but for starters, that's ok.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Multiculturalism can work when the differences are trivial, like different clothing, food, skin color or moderate religions. Multiculturalism deeper than this superficial differences is a recipe for conflicts ultimately ending in civil wars (the worst kind of war) and violent separation or subjugation.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
sorry, i don't live in my "mother" country.

there is no problem here unless you are "ILLEGAL!"

if you can say, hello, how are you, thank you, with a smile,

you will get far in any country on good vibes and the right papers, lol!

obviously ya gotta learn more to integrate but for starters, that's ok.

Amen, you summed it up. I don't live in my "mother country" either and I do not intend on it.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I don't need to break it down for you; the state of things is clear....

I think you do need to break it down. You need to provide a valid connection between multiculturalism and ''the state of things'', and also explain the supposed negative impact which post-World War II ''diversity'' has created in Western society.

Your OP hasn't done anything to argue against multiculturalism, other than your question-begging assertion that multiculturalism = bad.

I think we can assume that all of this is due to "diversity."

I think that is an erroneous assumption.

Social inequality - and all the consequent problems which go along with it - has always existed, regardless of the cultures of the people who are affected.

The social problems which afflict societies are invariably caused by the inherent disparity between the ''haves'' and the ''have nots'' in any human society.

Now tell me.....just HOW is this a "good thing"? Just what are the benefits of diversity anyway? I gotta say, I am not getting it.

Britain has always been multicultural and diverse, long before the first boat hit Tilbury docks in the late 1940s.

Working class people are culturally different to middle class people who are culturally different to upper class people. Christians are culturally different to non-Christians. These, and many other, cultural differences have existed for centuries in British society.

I agree that it's an unfair and shoddy ''debating'' tactic to brand anyone who raises objections to multiculturalism as a ''bigot'', but it is hard to find any genuine and reasonable arguments against the concept of multiculturalism.

Why is it that the most "diverse" areas seem to be the most dismal? Is that just a coincidence?

That's not true. Some of the most affluent areas in England are extremely culturally diverse.

The ''dismal'' areas are that way because they are populated by people of a lower socio-economic background. Economic migrants tend to move to these areas because they haven't got much money.

If you think that slum areas of cities weren't ''dismal'' before recent multiculturalism, then you really need to think again.

Furthermore, I must ask why this is all apparently mandatory - if multiculturalism were so great, people would run to it; they wouldn't need to be brainwashed from birth to embrace it.

Given the choice, people don't want to live in areas which are infested with widespread social problems. These areas are bad because people don't have as much money - or other power-gaining commodities - as others.

You are apportioning a cause to an effect.

Leave your high-end suburbs and come to a town like mine. If you insist on doing nothing of the sort, I ask you one simple question: Why? Are you a proponent of diversity only when you don't have to put up with it?

I live in a decent suburb in a multicultural city in the English Midlands. My street, and area in general, is very multicultural.

You are under a false impression if you believe that less affluent, inner-city areas are synonymous with multiculturalism, and that more affluent, suburban areas equate to cultural homogeneity.

edit on 12-9-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It certainly is one damn complicated issue. One that I hope ATS can intelligently discuss - civilly and without hatred.

I really enjoy learning more about other cultures - history, language, arts, food, etc. But, to be very honest, I prefer or at least I am more comfortable, operating within my own culture. That is to say I like to dabble in other cultures. What I dislike is when other cultures are forced upon me, at least when it's done too quickly or the change is too great or inconvenient. I don't think this makes me a bad person or intolerant, just human.

But the only thing that is constant in the world is change and change will inevitably come. The question is only how we will deal with it, courageously and with grace and compassion or in a petty and fearful way. The upside is that changes - big and small - throughout human history have served to make humans and their collective culture dominant.
edit on 12/9/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Basically, a group of people came to the brilliant conclusion that letting different groups of people have their own space and mind their own business just wasn't cutting it.

What group of people? Who made this decision?

I don't need to break it down for you; the state of things is clear.....and I think we can assume that all of this is due to "diversity."

Wrong, wrong and wrong... You DO need to break it down - or at least explain specifically what you mean. The "state of things" is NOT clear. What are you addressing particularly? And an assumption that diversity is to blame for whatever 'state of things' you speak of, seems unfounded, unexplained and really, doesn't make any sense at all...

Now tell me.....just HOW is this a "good thing"? Just what are the benefits of diversity anyway?

Maybe you should have just looked it up.
Benefits of Diversity

Diversity is an inclusive community of people with varied human characteristics, ideas, and world-views and whose interactions both benefit and challenge each other to grow while making the community better.

Such a community will:

enhance access, attract and retain a diverse population and promote
equity and equal opportunity.
encourage interaction among diverse people to enrich the educational
experience, promote personal growth and enhance the community .
foster mutual respect, value differences and promote cross cultural
understanding
prepare leaders to live and work in a competitive global community.

So, if promoting equity and equality, education, variety of experience, personal growth, community enhancements, mutual respect and understanding are "the state of things" that you're complaining about, then I guess we'll just have to disagree.

I gotta say, I am not getting it.

That's pretty clear.

Why is it that the most "diverse" areas seem to be the most dismal?

Where did you get the idea that the most diverse areas are dismal? I live in a very culturally diverse area and it's wonderful!

Furthermore, I must ask why this is all apparently mandatory - if multiculturalism were so great, people would run to it;

People do run to it. (Try to remember that not everyone is like you...) Not everyone hides from and hates those who are different than they are.
I embrace multiculturalism because I've learned SO much, opened my mind, grown as a person, heightened my feelings of compassion and understanding and I feel more at peace in the world and with my fellow occupants.

they wouldn't need to be brainwashed from birth to embrace it.

What makes you think people are "brainwashed" to accept multiculturalism? More likely, some were brainwashed to be bigoted.
Variety is the spice of life and it's very natural to prefer a variety than to have the same experiences with the same kind of people every day.

Anyway, I've got a proposal for all the liberals here: if you love multiculturalism so much, come and partake in it.

I partake in it every day!

Leave your high-end suburbs and come to a town like mine. If you insist on doing nothing of the sort, I ask you one simple question: Why? Are you a proponent of diversity only when you don't have to put up with it? Regardless, I'd like to hear from you.

I don't know what town you live in, but I can tell you, it's probably less diverse than here. We have cowboys, lawyers, rednecks and doctors, white, black, Hispanic (majority), Asian, old, young, hippies and Quakers and good old boys, religious and atheists and we all get along really well.

Now to anyone here who wants to blast this as just "intolerance" or "bigotry" - nonsense.

Sorry, it's just intolerance. Fortunately, of the people I know, VERY few share your narrow view of how it should be...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

And another atempt to mainstream bigotry and racism
(Yes, the truth hurts!)

So riiiiiight, in the past people got along great because they were homogenous groups. Let's have a look at the facts, shall we?

LA race riots
Slavery in the US

And let's not forget the FACT that non-whites STILL earn less on average than whites for the same jobs. It's gotten (A LOT) better, because now at least they get to sit at front rows in busses, but still.

You are trying to mainstream racism/bigotry by asking people to go back to the "good old days". Beyond wrong

PS: The Norewgian shooter would agree with you, so at least you have some support

edit on 12-9-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I'm fine with having different distinct cultures which are separate, but all cultures need to be respected. Throughout history it's seems whatever culture has the greatest wealth and power convert other cultures into their own.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
To the OP, do you like any of the cultures that have mixed in with the native culture? Do you enjoy , curries, chinese food, Pizza's, Burgers, Kebabs, Hip Hop music, dance music, rock and roll, R' n B all of which have come from other cultures.

What parts of multiculturalism do you dislike the most?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
To the OP, do you like any of the cultures that have mixed in with the native culture? Do you enjoy , curries, chinese food, Pizza's, Burgers, Kebabs, Hip Hop music, dance music, rock and roll, R' n B all of which have come from other cultures.

What parts of multiculturalism do you dislike the most?

The funny thing is, it's multiculturalism that made the US great. Without all those immigrants bringing over influences from all over the world, the US wouldn't be the superpower it (still) is today.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I agree with you. Diversity quite simply makes life more interesting. It is a lot easier to learn something from someone who comes from a totally different life experience than you do and that is what makes life interesting, because people are the most interesting and effective assets society has for us to broaden our experiences.

I do think there are problems with some elements of diversity, or rather the diversity movement in that it looks to soften the edges around cultural differences, hence reducing that which is interesting to form some milk toast cultural identity, the goal seems to be some homogenized culture. That does a disservice to specific ethnic groups as well as society at large. When diversity is a code word for conformance, it is a negative force in society. People should be proud, loud and proud about their heritage. It is the differences after all that make culture an interesting topic. One of the reasons industrial cities of the East Coast used to be such cool places to live is that you had the Italian, Greek, African American, Chinese neighborhoods among others. All had their own scene, food, music and all were encouraged to go hang out and appreciate their culture. That unfortunately has largely been lost due to this conformance mentality.

Its fine to dislike cultures, to not embrace them. Ideally someone has learned enough about that culture to make that judgement and if that is the case, they learned something about the culture - a good thing.

It is when groups seek to force society to change rules mores to accomodate dramatic differences in cultures, such as Islamic women not driving and being educated, that the foundations of a society, in the case of the US, natural law has to come into play and trump culture. It is also when the "diversity police" use policy to cull honest opinion about culture that irks people. If attitudes and belief systems about a culture are founded on facts and and are made candidly, those attitudes should be able to be spoken publically and there should be absolutely no ramifications for doing so. Should someone be made "uncomfortable" by that expression, tough.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join