It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capture 360º videos from an iPhone 4

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
How would you like to be able to take 360º videos with your iPhone? Sounds cool to me and...
wait for it... there’s an app for that. Almost. As far as I can tell, it’s still under development, but they hope to make it available soon. Not only will you be able to take full panoramic video, you can pan left, right, up and down using the phones touch feature.

I found a couple of short articles that talk about it.

pcworld.com

Utilizing a specially curved mirror, the 360-degree lens collects light from all directions and sends it into your iPhone 4's lens. From there you can preview the 360-degree video as it records. You can then return to the video and view it from any perspective and at any angle and at any time.

gizmag.com

The current prototype attaches to the lens of an iPhone 4, via a custom case. Users then simply record a video, simultaneously catching everything visible within a 360-degree horizontal loop around the lens (they can select what point of view appears on the phone's screen as they're shooting, but that doesn't affect what's recorded). When they're done, proprietary software allows viewers of the footage to navigate within the panorama using the phone's touchscreen, panning left or right whenever they see fit. The company is also developing a web platform, where users can share their videos.

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing nor otherwise promoting this product. This post is for educational purposes only.

There's a demo video on the pcworld site, but it's actually a fundraising promotion. Under T&C, I don't think I should show it here.
. Mods, if it's a problem and you feel this post should be removed, I understand.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Here are some examples you can control:
store.gopano.com...

Kind of cool, but if you leave them completely zoomed out, you get a weird distortion around the edges that makes it look like you've been drugged.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I remember reading a "hack a day" article that allows you to turn any camera into a 360 camera. They just used a reflective Christmas ball ornament to reflect light from all directions into the camera. Then they did simple image manipulation to stretch the image out. I guess it can be done with video if you made an application do the image processing in real time...

Here is the article:
hackaday.com...

Here is a D.I.Y. 360 video hack:
hackaday.com...

edit on 11-9-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Microsoft also makes a free 360 panorama maker called Photosynth, I think. I use it almost daily to record where I've been.

..for the iPod's.. idk about android, though its likely.
edit on 12-9-2011 by BornParadox because: (no reason given)

wanna see my house? where I work? the lake I swam at last night?
edit on 12-9-2011 by BornParadox because: (no reason given)

top topics

join