It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's College Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Sen. Barack Obama explained why a college education is worth it at community college in Michigan Tuesday.

Going to school and worrying about money at the same time?
Working 20-30 hours a week and also studying and attending classes?
uhhh
ummm

"Just stick with it."

uhh
ummm

"There's still a million dollar difference...the best investment you can make..."

Good ole Barry and his smooth talking

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Agreed-America should just stay weak and stupid. That way its easier to export all the skilled jobs to foreign lands leaving the U.S. a nation of burger flippers.

The businesses certainly win.
edit on 11-9-2011 by lordtyp0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Op, I do not understand your stance, First I go to a michigan community college. So are you against it? Cause ITT Tech, or a trade, or going to the big 3 car, or college are the only way to live in michigan. Stick with it, obviously good quick advice for someone (Obama) who has more on his plate. I'm all for it

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
So what's the problem here? Or is this just complaining for complaining's sake?

Besides saying stick with it, what other options are there? If you want college advice, why not...idk, talk to someone at the college?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
or as Bill Gates might put it, take college courses until you know what you need to know then drop out and be an epic person.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

Hmm, I wonder what his response would have been to 80-100 hours per week plus 12-15 credit hours per semester?
edit on 11-9-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
well he did make a decent point and that is that people who are struggling in college just dont have their priorities straightened out. Of course its different when you are working and studying full time. I have the same issue being a full time student and working only 20 hours a week. Some obstacles really are just hard to overcome like that. But from my own experience, removing little distractions like a television and turning off the phone while studying really increases the efficiency of the effort. Make the extraordinary effort to do exceptionally well while attending the affordable community colleges so that you can be eligible for scholarships and grants at the larger institutions which means your financial burden will be decreased tremendously. it just takes a lot of sacrifice-that's the hard part. but he's right, it is worth it. not worth the "million dollar difference", but worth the satisfaction.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'm still trying to figure out how Obama paid for his college. It wasn't student loans because he never declared any in his Senate years yet he claimed to have just paid them off during the 2008 campaign.

a Newsmax review of Senator Obama’s financial disclosures found no trace of any outstanding college loans, going back to 2000.

Speaking at a campaign event in Haverford, Pa, in April of this year, Michelle Obama claimed that her husband had “just paid off his loan debt” for his Harvard Law School education.

In an appearance in Zanesville, Ohio, in February she bemoaned the fact that many American families were strapped with student loan payments for years after graduation.

“The only reason we’re not in that position is that Barack wrote two best-selling books,” she said. The first of those best-sellers netted the couple $1.2 million in royalties in 2005.

In response to Newsmax questions about the Obama’s college loans, a campaign spokesman cited a report in The Chicago Sun claiming that Obama borrowed $42,753 to pay for Harvard Law School, and “tens of thousands” more to pay for undergraduate studies at Columbia.

The same report said that Michelle Obama borrowed $40,762 to pay for her years at Harvard Law School.

www.newsmax.com...

I don't believe anything involved with this man's past.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Nothing in the world is worth less for the money than college.

You can look at successful people who didn't go to school. You can look at all the complete morons that have a degree. You can work with people who were trained and people who were taught and recognize a huge discrepancy.

It's all a giant scam. How many degrees are offered that don't even have any jobs? Zoology, Marine Biology, Art History, etc. The Universities rape you for 4-6 years and never mention that...it's criminal.

The "hard sciences" I understand to a certain point. But while some (like engineering for example) are worthy I think, med schools don't teach healing any more. They're run by Big Pharma for Big Pharma.

When my folks were in college a degree cost $25k and you'd get a $25k job for your efforts. Now a degree costs $250k and you'll be lucky to find that $25k job.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
i have some college advice

if your spending 100k on and education that pays you 35k in return

that in itself is an abject failure just goes to show college doesnt produce intelligent people

and its nothing more than a "Reducation camp"

scratch that if your paying 100k for an education where you have no job to go to is another abject failure

guess thats why the current potus took over the educational loans

"money for nothing and the chics for free"
edit on 12-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join