It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina to consider banning same sex marriage with constitutional amendment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
North Carolina to consider banning same sex marriage with constitutional amendment

North Carolina House Majority Leader Paul Stam said that same sex marriage needed to be banned to protect children.
"We see in countries around the world where they legitimize same-sex marriage that marriage itself is depreciated," he said during a press conference. "I think you'll find that the impetus for same-sex marriage is not for same-sex people to get married – very, very few of them do – rather it is to delegitimize marriage as an institution, as a whole."

I cannot believe I am reading such ignorance in 2011 and these are our politicians in NC.
So same sex marriage harms children? I believe Paul Stam is a threat to gay and lesbian’s equal rights.
In fact he is a threat to all children. He speaks of one way ignorance, insinuating that gay marriage will harm family stabilities. The only reason few gays marry, is because most states do not allow it yet and he knows that, this is one of the poorest excuses I have heard yet.
If gay and Lesbian’s want to get married or have a reunion let them, it certainly does not depreciated the marriage itself.
Now if Paul Stam wants to pick on gays and lesbians because they want nothing more than to be treated with the same respect as everyone else that holds a marriage certificate, I mean look how many straight people who disgrace their marriage values, the many that who give marriage a bad name. It is disgusting if you ask me. Perhaps Paul Stam believes gays and lesbians shouldn’t marry because people like him have stigmatized the gay and lesbian people as second class citizens. Can anyone say prejudice?

“That will affect your children and grandchildren, because all social science research demonstrates that's the best way for children to be raised. So you have to look to the future to see the true advantages of this."

Paul Stam believes in teaching our children ignorance and has clearly demonstrated in the above quote that gays should not be parents.
Perhaps Paul Stam believe that straight parents that abuse their children physically and sexually are better qualified since straight parents have the most history of terrorizing their children, I should know mine did it to me!

Stam added that any argument used to support same sex marriage could be used to support the practice of polygamy and incest.

Paul Stam stating that supporting same sex marriage could be used to support the practice of polygamy and incest, is absolutely nonsense and again it is the straight families that have the history of polygamy and incest, not gays and lesbians.
Paul Stam has demonstrated that he dislikes homosexuals, what next Jews, blacks…
Here’s my opinion about People like Paul Stam, they are a threat to democracy.
www.rawstory.com...
edit on 11-9-2011 by impressme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
How does a gay couple getting married affect a straight couple getting married? Homophobes like him shouldn't be allowed to hold office. Because they do nothing but teach our children hate and intolerance.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Religious intolerance by extremist "Christians" that have zero clue what the word of Jesus was really about. Not to mention that making gay marriage, or civil unions, whatever you want to call them, is a violation of the liberty of contract. Gays marrying causes no harm to anyone.

It's fallacious, and an outright lie, to suggest that it does. The 9th commandment, indeed.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Gay marriage, the very nature is the essence of social change, the likes of which has not been seen since the civil rights demonstration of the 1960’s. Historically, social change is something that the general public fears, as it challenges the very concepts of what people believe as being right or wrong, within their view of morality.

Everyone has their right to their opinion, and this includes public and private officials. Just cause someone is in public office, does not mean that they are not entitled to their opinion or to voice such. And we as the people should remember that. However there is a fine line between an opinion and when it affects the people who they are suppose to represent.

The representative has chosen to take on a hot bed issue, namely gay marriage, will ultimately force another judicial show down in another court of law. While this may seem like a bad thing, ultimately it is not, as it has to go through the courts, and here is the reason why. Every time one of these goes into the courts and gets defeated and overturned, it adds to the list of precedents that are on the law books that are used to justify the courts decisions. And ultimately, the more court cases that rule in favor of gay marriage, means that such will be a futile to try to get passed.

But beyond that, it bears to watch, and see how the law is written as well. Any form of discrimination, and it could end up going bad for the state of North Carolina, and the person involved. As with everyone involved, it will also show who all supports and who does not, and that too bears to show what organizations are involved in such.

And there is one other aspect, which is the question, what else is that state up to, knowing that this hot bed issue will draw attention away from other things that they may not want the public to know about.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I agree with most of what you stated, but remember North Carolina House Majority Leader Paul Stam is supposed to be representing all the people, not just the straight people.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by impressme

North Carolina House Majority Leader Paul Stam said that same sex marriage needed to be banned to protect children.
"We see in countries around the world where they legitimize same-sex marriage that marriage itself is depreciated," he said during a press conference. "I think you'll find that the impetus for same-sex marriage is not for same-sex people to get married – very, very few of them do – rather it is to delegitimize marriage as an institution, as a whole."

I cannot believe I am reading such ignorance in 2011 and these are our politicians in NC.
So same sex marriage harms children? I believe Paul Stam is a threat to gay and lesbian’s equal rights.
In fact he is a threat to all children. He speaks of one way ignorance, insinuating that gay marriage will harm family stabilities. The only reason few gays marry, is because most states do not allow it yet and he knows that, this is one of the poorest excuses I have heard yet.
If gay and Lesbian’s want to get married or have a reunion let them, it certainly does not depreciated the marriage itself.
Now if Paul Stam wants to pick on gays and lesbians because they want nothing more than to be treated with the same respect as everyone else that holds a marriage certificate, I mean look how many straight people who disgrace their marriage values, the many that who give marriage a bad name. It is disgusting if you ask me. Perhaps Paul Stam believes gays and lesbians shouldn’t marry because people like him have stigmatized the gay and lesbian people as second class citizens. Can anyone say prejudice?

“That will affect your children and grandchildren, because all social science research demonstrates that's the best way for children to be raised. So you have to look to the future to see the true advantages of this."

Paul Stam believes in teaching our children ignorance and has clearly demonstrated in the above quote that gays should not be parents.
Perhaps Paul Stam believe that straight parents that abuse their children physically and sexually are better qualified since straight parents have the most history of terrorizing their children, I should know mine did it to me!

Stam added that any argument used to support same sex marriage could be used to support the practice of polygamy and incest.

Paul Stam stating that supporting same sex marriage could be used to support the practice of polygamy and incest, is absolutely nonsense and again it is the straight families that have the history of polygamy and incest, not gays and lesbians.
Paul Stam has demonstrated that he dislikes homosexuals, what next Jews, blacks…
Here’s my opinion about People like Paul Stam, they are a threat to democracy.
www.rawstory.com...
edit on 11-9-2011 by impressme because: (no reason given)

It's really hard to discern what the outcome of same sex couples will have on future generations,if there be any at all.Personally I think that all humans should have equal rights,and if that means homosexuals can get married then that's what it is.Guess we'll see the social impacts or enlightenment in 75 years or so.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Paul Stam stating that supporting same sex marriage could be used to support the practice of polygamy and incest

They're afraid that if people aren't enslaved to monogamy and raising kids, then they might have time and money to get educated and find out how terrible conservative policies are.

It's hard to enslave people who aren't a slave to something already.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
Religious intolerance by extremist "Christians" that have zero clue what the word of Jesus was really about. Not to mention that making gay marriage, or civil unions, whatever you want to call them, is a violation of the liberty of contract. Gays marrying causes no harm to anyone.

It's fallacious, and an outright lie, to suggest that it does. The 9th commandment, indeed.

/TOA

You are bang on. The enemy of us all in this day and age is religious extremism. Christian, Muslim, whatever.

"True Believers" are the most dangerous people on the planet.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I swear - - the anti-gay religious wackos are the best supporters for gay rights.

They're ridiculousness shines like a beacon - - - and is starting to really piss a lot of people off. Even believers.
edit on 11-9-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by impressme

He's not a threat to just gay and lesbians equal rights. He's a threat to everyones rights.
If he doesn't see gay people as equal.. well who can say what other prejudices he has tucked away?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by impressme
I agree with most of what you stated, but remember North Carolina House Majority Leader Paul Stam is supposed to be representing all the people, not just the straight people.

This is what happens when you vote for true 'conservatives', people that put their God before their country.

Christian conservatives a screeching about Shari'a law but are perfectly happy with banning gay marriage because 'the bible says it's bad.'

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
What's funny to me is how politicians like this actually LIE to the American public.

www.time.com...

In this study, it was found that children raised by lesbian parents actually tend to be more socially competent than their peers. It's because gay people marry for love, since why else would they marry? It can't raise their status or 'continue a family line' or anything weird like that, and they certainly don't marry because one of them got pregnant, haha, so they actually truly care about family values, much more than people who marry out of necessity or ambition. (not that there aren't good straight marriages, but with the rate of divorce these days I am not so certain straight marriage is all that sacred or amazing.)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

Christian conservatives a screeching about Shari'a law but are perfectly happy with banning gay marriage because 'the bible says it's bad.'

But Muslims are the antichrist, right? Or something? (wait, they believe in the same god???? And the Qur'an is remarkably similar to the Bible? And they think Jesus is important, more important than Jews think Jesus is?? Nah, this is totally not possible, they're Middle Eastern)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

He's not a threat to just gay and lesbians equal rights. He's a threat to everyones rights.
If he doesn't see gay people as equal.. well who can say what other prejudices he has tucked away?

Star that one.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I am not pro-gay marriage, I am just not anti-gay marriage. I frankly just don't care what gay people are up to. I do not see why everyone else just does not care about what gay people are up to.

Gay people however, for obvious reasons, really seem to care about gay marriage and want it to become law. In a completely rational world, gay people would have their way because nobody would bother to resist them.

So while I understand why gay people would head a pro-gay marriage movement, I cannot understand why anybody would lift a finger to mount an anti-gay marriage movement. It makes me wonder whether the anti-gay marriage movement has ulterior motives, or is worried their favorite toe tapping buddy might get married off.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I wonder how much North Carolinian tax money is being thrown into this.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Well.. because a progressive gay christian church will marry gay people and then the news will spread daisy chain style turning all the christian children to homosexuals who will all marry until eventually satan has succeeded in making all christians go extinct the same way the dino.. uh..er dodo's did.

Or something like that. Maybe Christians are just bigots. meh.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Well.. because a progressive gay christian church will marry gay people and then the news will spread daisy chain style turning all the christian children to homosexuals who will all marry until eventually satan has succeeded in making all christians go extinct the same way the dino.. uh..er dodo's did.

Or something like that. Maybe Christians are just bigots. meh.

Not all of us.
Just the ones that haven't actually read the Christian bible, but only have gotten sound bites from the 700 Club.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
yep sure is alot of bigotry in this thread

altho its not agianst gays

funny about that word choice it works so many ways

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
First they came after the gays, but I wasn't gay so I didn't say anything.
Then they came after the smokers, but I wasn't a smoker, so I didn't say anything.
Then they came after . . . . . .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join