It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'The Sound Of Silence' - Paul Simon___ ___ p.s. 'you can call me Al'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Earlier today, Paul Simon performed 'The Sound Of Silence' during the ceremonies in New York, commemorating the 10 year anniversary of the events which took place on 9/11/01.

[color=BED9D9]Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted
In my brain still remains
Within the sound of silence

[color=BED9D9]In restless dreams, I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash
Of a neon light that split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices
Never share and no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools", said I, You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach out to you
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed its warning
In the words that it was forming
Said the words of the prophets are written
On the subway walls and tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds of silence

Supposedly, that song was not the original choice. In my opinion, it is an extremely appropriate song for this occasion, and the decision to change songs, was the correct decision.

NPR's Margot Adler, who has been covering the New York ceremony, tells us that Simon (according to the official program) had been expected to perform Bridge Over Troubled Water. The response to his choice to do The Sound of Silence instead, though, indicates it was a good decision.

"Many family members were crying; many others were singing along," Margot writes. It was, "perhaps the most moving moment of the ceremony in New York."

www.npr.org...

I am not trying to take anything away from that event, the ceremony, or from his performance. However, we can't frown all the time, and I cannot look at Paul Simon, without instantly envisioning Chevy Chase.

Paul Simon - 'You Can Call Me Al'
Official Video

Live Performance in Central Park, NYC. 1991

edit on 9/11/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
such a beautiful song.
Of course, I can't help but thinking of "The Watchmen" now when hearing the song, but actually, even that scene is somewhat approprate.

A Comedian died last night, and nobody cares.

Interesting btw, the twin towers are in the background of the cemetary during that song as they are burying a soldier...coincidence? perhaps...but its still interesting.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I didn't watch much of the 911 coverage, but I happened to be in front of the TV when Paul Simon did his number. I was indeed moved.

Seeing as he wanted to do Bridge Over Troubled Water, originally, here it is......
youtu.be...

Also, here's one for Izzy, a man that I knew personally.....
youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I had not heard of Iz before. At first, I thought maybe he died on 9/11, but I see that he did not. I am assuming that there is no actual connection, other than that song reminded of you of your passed friend. You have made me curious now though, so I am just wanting to see if that assumption is correct?

That's not exactly my preference of musical style, but I can definitely say that I liked it much better than I thought I would. Peaceful & very soothing. Any suggestions for other songs of his?

I was looking around on the Iz Hawaii website.
From what I can tell, this ↓youtube comment seems to be true.

It was the biggest body they couldve give him and his heart still doesnt fit there

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

It seemed like a fitting addition to the memorial and a suitable option for future 911 events. "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is an iconic memory of America's remeberence of WWII and Pearl Harbor, and Hawaii's place in history.

Hawaii has an earlier version of the events the parallel with 911. So does Japan. I just wanted to corelate those dates and times and real people.

I'm looking for some post Pearl Harbor, Brothers Cazimero stuff, where Izzy come from. It's totally spiritual. Will post when I find the "right stuff."
edit on 13-9-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join