It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Caught and Killed my First bit of Game

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

You have to look out for those superpredators! All you'd need is an intelligent. carnivorous race of apes Something like the newly discovered Bili perhaps, and we'd lose our coveted place at the top of the food chain.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
A lovely duck, a sharp break of its neck and hey presto. Took it home de-feathered it and cut the breasts out. The thing that scares me though is that I feel no guilt nor did it affect me as I killed the little fellow. No adrenaline rush, no nothing. Just pure cold killing. Now that makes me feel uncomfortable.

As it should make you feel uncomfortable. Killing animals unnecessarily and without emotion is a sign of lack of empathy, which is a sign of psychopathy, of which anywhere from 1 to 4% of humans have. Id bet a disproportionate number of hunters are actually psychopathic, especially the sport hunters.

And lets face it, it was unnecessary. If you were hungry, you could have boughten an apple for 60 cents.
edit on 9/12/2011 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

reading through the thread, what you first wrote, your responses throughout, i take this in and contemplate. clearly you are hunting the wrong game. you need more of a challenge. mentally and physically. you're young. you're bored. stop pussy-footing around and go sign up. you'll have the time of your life, you will be challenged, and your prey will be plentiful. you can enjoy facing the animal within without fear of prison or punishment for your actions. it's win-win.

otherwise it's the same old-same old, stupid games, 'net, pron, endless boredom and frustration, wasting time while your life slowly tick tick ticks away.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
"The predator does not mourn for his prey."

I don't remember who said that but it is apt. You had a need for food, maybe not at the moment, but in the near future. You fulfilled that need by taking a duck. You killed it quickly and cleanly, and you used the duck for your needs. That's called nature. Had you not taken the duck, another animal would have.

You should feel remorse if you kill for fun. You should feel remorse if you kill slowly and painfully. Those are the signs of problems.

So don't feel bad. It's natural. Humans are omnivores. Humans are predators.

"The predator does not mourn for his prey."

TheRedneck

I wonder if so many of you would still speak so smugly if the tables were turned, and you and your families were the ones who were looked upon as simply nothing more than essentially cattle to slaughter at the discretion of a group of beings you could not retaliate against in any way, shape, or form.

Would you all be so willing to just say "That's called nature" when say, your child gets nicked by one of these beings, and killed? Would you take solace that your child was killed "quickly and cleanly", and was used for a "need"?

The same attitude and justifications I see here in this thread and elsewhere with this topic, are pretty much the same attitudes and justifications I imagine kings use when talking about serfs; or the super rich use when talking about the financial bottom 99.9%, which is all of us on this board.

Its pretty obvious that none of you all are in a survival situation, due to the fact youre dinking around on the internet. Honestly, you kill because you can, not because you need to.

I really think humanity is much closer to its primitive, violent chimp cousins than it dares even contemplate acknowledging. Humanity has a long, long way to go.
edit on 9/13/2011 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

How we might perceive such a occurrence does not bear upon whether or not such an occurrence happens. When was the last time you watched a predator/prey battle play out?

I watched one yesterday. My cat caught a mouse. She heard the mouse moving around and went to investigate the noise. As soon as she located the mouse, she set up for ambush. She waited, until the mouse was within striking range, then pounced.

She did not quickly kill it. It struggled; she slapped at it again and again with sharp claws. She bit it with sharp teeth. She slapped it against a wall. All this time, the little mouse was no doubt as terrified as a mouse could be; judging from the constant desperate attempts to flee, that would be my guess anyway. Eventually, the mouse died of a combination of cuts, bites, and blunt trauma. The cat picked it up and brought it to us. We didn't want it, so she ate it.

At no time did our cat concern itself for the well-being of the mouse. She was in no danger of starving; we feed her pretty well. She simply did what she does. A cat is a predator and a carnivore. It kills to eat. It will kill even when there are other sources of food, as long as it can eat.

That's called nature.

A pack of feral dogs will track a deer, give chase, run it down, rip it's throat out, and typically start eating it before it is dead. That's called nature.

You ask how I would feel if I were the prey? I would probably feel terrified, like the mouse did. But I am not the prey. Pretending to be so is not only a worthless exercise, but quite probably counterproductive to survival. Nature doesn't care about some self-imposed morality about re-creating the way it works; nature is above us. Swim among a feeding frenzy of great white sharks and see how much compassion toward life you receive. Explain to a salt-water croc how much you care about the "sanctity of life" and see what it thinks about your ideas.

It sounds great on an Internet forum, talking about how much you believe in protecting wildlife and how compassionate you are toward those poor defenseless creatures. But it's all smoke and mirrors, with no basis in reality. Reality is that humans are omnivores; humans will seek out meat as a natural part of their diet; humans are therefore predators, and will kill for food. At least we (try to) kill without inflicting more pain than necessary. That's more than most predators will do.

The predator does not mourn for its prey. Even if you think it should.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

That's called nature. A pack of feral dogs will track a deer, give chase, run it down, rip it's throat out, and typically start eating it before it is dead. That's called nature.

hmmm..isn't nature a wonderful thing...
makes one wonder how a loving creator designed life to be in such a "natural" order.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I wonder how many bleeding hearts are going to feel remorse when they have to steal their precious mung beans to sustain their families. Or how many of those who take such a dim view on hunting for food have little to no knowledge about anything other than opening their soya milk carton and smelling their own self righteous farts..

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
I wonder how many bleeding hearts are going to feel remorse when they have to steal their precious mung beans to sustain their families. Or how many of those who take such a dim view on hunting for food have little to no knowledge about anything other than opening their soya milk carton and smelling their own self righteous farts..

I'm not a vegetarian..but if times got very tough.. I would prefer to fish, pick fruit, and grow veggies with these people, than hang out with people of your attitude. You make it sound like having remorse for killing is just so self righteous.

I think many non meat eaters could sustain themselves quite well when times got tough... and most likely wouldn't shoot a self righteous meat killer who came to steal their precious stash of food, when the hunting got tough.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

I think many non meat eaters could sustain themselves quite well when times got tough... and most likely wouldn't shoot a self righteous meat killer who came to steal their precious stash of food, when the hunting got tough.

The lesson from history is that hunters and herders are generally far less aggressive than farmers. The great totalitarian empires of Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Persia were only possible because of farming.

Human nutrition took a nose dive with the advent of agriculture, from which it has only begun recovering in the last 300 years. Hunters especially, are able to weather droughts much better than farmers, and are less prone to disease. Partly because they live in more isolated communities, but also because storing grain invites vermin like mice and cockroaches into human homes that have no place in a yurt or tipi.

Of course, none of us will be living like people in ancient times. But the idea that one group has the moral high ground because of what they eat is nothing but self-serving.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Of course, none of us will be living like people in ancient times. But the idea that one group has the moral high ground because of what they eat is nothing but self-serving.

My response was to susperia who said something to the effect of the non meat eaters,stealing their precious beans when times get tough.. because they didn't know how to sustain themselves .

As far as your hunter vs farmer stats..I don't buy any of it..

I think animals carry much disease.. and if they are not stored and cooked properly can cause many problems... just as food that is grown..if not stored and cooked properly ... can as well.

edit on 13-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

makes one wonder how a loving creator designed life to be in such a "natural" order.

I once bought a car that had a cracked block and burnt out transmission. Makes one wonder why Dodge would make a car with a cracked block and worn out transmission.

Just sayin'...

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

I once bought a car that had a cracked block and burnt out transmission. Makes one wonder why Dodge would make a car with a cracked block and worn out transmission.

Just sayin'...

TheRedneck

hmmm..not sure if I get the metaphor....maybe you could explain...

I was not sure how creation or a creator , would create a natural order of things..to be quite so ..heartless and cruel.... in its self preservation... if you can even call it that..

Why did some dinosaurs eat only meat...and some ate only vegetation?

If you care to explain your thoughts on it.. would love to hear it..but understand if you don't want to take the time.
edit on 13-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

i dont get it either.
why in gods name would anyone buy an american car when they can buy a european or japanese car?

back on topic, op why dont you just go the the shop and buy some food?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Sorry if you missed the point, but I don't really want to take this thread off topic any farther... especially into a religious discussion. Make a thread about that subject and send me a message if you want further clarification.

Suffice it to say we apparently disagree. I prefer to get meat from nature; some prefer to get it from a slaughterhouse; some do without completely. As long as no one in the other two categories wants to prevent me from getting my food my way, I have no problem with their opinion.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

The typical chicken breasts you buy in the grocery store get there like this:

The chicken house owner is leased out to a poultry company. Every few weeks he gets a shipment of chicks, tightly packed into small boxes. He then clips their wingtips to make sure they cannot fly and puts them in a overcrowded coop. Here they are fed processed chicken feed, containing growth hormones and medicinal agents to combat disease, along with fillers including processed feces from cattle. After a week or two, the growth hormones have done their work and the chickens are shipped off to the processors in open cages. Many of them die en route.

The processors field dress the chickens, sometimes while they are still alive. They are hug upside down on a machine that moves them from one process to another. The feathers are stripped off, they are skinned, and different cuts are taken from the carcass until there is little more than a skeleton and intestines left. These are processed into food for other livestock.

Compare that to the duck.

The duck probably lived its life free, flying wherever it wished, feeding on fish as it wished, living life as nature intended. At the end of its life, it's neck was broken. It felt no pain.

If I had a choice, I think I would rather be the duck than the chicken. But hey, that's just me.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
How is a duck a "prey" animal? And what did you do with it?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Have to say that was a great explanation on the differences of natural hunting, and buying meat from a processing plant..

I can see why you prefer natural..

Hopefully the food found in nature for the duck ..(such as the fish) are free of harmful toxins..etc.. because those problems can effect the natural food chain as well.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
All I can say,is,if I can't get a hotdog,a duck will do.
And,Redneck,a broken down american car is better than a new foreign car.
It's called pride.It's called the ability to sustain yourself.The ability that you know ,in your heart,that you don't have to rely on anyone else but your own two hands ,your heart,your brains,and your determination.

edit on 14-9-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join