It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Caught and Killed my First bit of Game

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Did the first dissection not teach you that a live dissection would be rather uncomfortable to the frog/toad and pulling out a live heart would cause pain unimaginable?

I am like you are now though, stray from harming an insect and instead spend my time trying to trap it in a glass to take outside rather than a quick whack or squirt of spray.

In relation to the OP i would find it hard to kill the duck without any feeling or remorse, although if in a situation whereby food was scarce and it was to preserve my life and families then i might feel different.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Winchester_La

I think if you start getting pleasure from taking life then there is a cause for concern

As long as you respect life and what it stands for and allow other living things the courtesy of living when you can, you are doing well.

I also do not kill anything such as insects etc. I hunt and eat but I do it in a fashion that is humane as possible. I do not like the corporate livestock farms where they raise the animals in a cruel fashion and dispatch them in a similar way. Life is not inanimate such as a chair, those sadists and psychos etc are all ill.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Don't feel bad! My favorite food is deer jerky. Now how am I gonna get that without killing a deer?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 200457

I am actually feeling hungry as I'm contributing to this post. I think it's dinner time for me. If animals weren't supposed to be eaten, then why do they taste so good

To the OP, congratulations on your first kill, I hope you learned a lot and it teaches you life experiences that many will not experience themselves. Respect to you!

EDIT: I disagree with all those people saying ''It's JUST a duck''. It's actually more than that, it's a magnificent creature who was granted the gift of life, just a roll of the universal dice as to what species we are born as. If you were that duck think about how you would feel being killed. Show a little respect for life and then you can maybe appreciate your's more. It's not 'JUST' a duck.
edit on 11-9-2011 by AnalyticalDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
After reading the postings by other ATS members I have to strongly agree with ATS members Gannicus and Metaldemon2000 that it is about respect for the animal you are harvesting and also about how that animal was killed.

I have been hunting since a youth and the first thing I ever learned from my uncles and cousins when I first went boar hunting is that we must respect the animal for its sacrifice to feed and nourish those that will consume it and to be vigilant in taking that animals life in a humane and quick fashion.

This rule was demanded and ingrained in me and I am proud to have learned it. No wounding shots and no having fun with any dying animal ever.

This is why these days, even when I shoot fat squirrels, I give thanks for the cycle of life and do my best to always ensure a shot that immediately kills the animal. In such a way, the hunter has done his part by respecting the animals death and by showing to others that the taking of any animals life to sustain life should be taken with great concern for that key heart shot that immediately kills the animal and brings it down where shot.

I mention this discussion because in the many years after learning about hunting the many type of animals that can be hunted, only when one hunts an animal that can kill you does this ideology hold even more emphasis.

I took the hunting lessons I was taught by those much older than myself as a youth and as I grew into adult hood, those lessons even served me in combat while on active duty from Viet Nam until the first Gulf War in 1991 and even into Somalia in 1993 on a so called humanitarian mission.

Whenever I had to do what Infantry combat soldiers do, even then, I was always willingly determined to do what I had to do to survive and as part of that process, I gave respect to anyone who had to die as a result of such an encounter with me while seeking to become the survivor to our life and death encounter.

I respect human life and animals as I respect how human lives are taken in combat. I apply the same philosophy in whatever I seek to shoot, because I do so with concern for a merciful kill and a quick kill.

Kill or die comes to mind, but to me it was much more than being put in a life and death situation.

Only in such a way as i described have I been able to understand the lessons I learned as a youth with regard to respecting what you shoot for sustenance and because of that youthful lesson, I was better prepared to deal with the taking of human lives in any life and death combat situations that I would eventually experienced in my many years of active duty service and combat encounters.

Any long lived combat veteran will most likely agree, but if they don't that's alright as well, because I fully understand many don't adhere to my approach, but as many who know me would say, I made it where others didn't and I sometimes wonder regularly on a personal level if my philosophy just might be in agreement with a higher power.

I know that may sound strange to some, but because I am a believer, I believe there is nothing that is unknown about my inner intentions to such a higher power. As such, my confrontation with life and death is seen for what it really was and for that I sometimes think it is what allowed be to survive where others did not.

I don't know, but anyone who takes any animals life with respect for the cycle of life, will no doubt learn a meaningful lesson about life and about what others hunters respect when it comes to killing deer, boar, bear, or any animal for that matter.

I just wanted to add to this discussion, because too many will not see the significance in the sheer honesty of posts like Gannicus and Metaldemon2000 have made. Just thought you should know that after reading their postings, it made me think of when I first was exposed to such ideas. That is when I decided to add to this discussion.

Thanks for the thread and thank you for considering these thoughts on the subject at hand.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Although my initial reaction to your post was "how terrible!", on further reflection I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand there's plenty of food around for you to eat, so there really isn't any need to kill an animal in order for you to survive. Grocery stores are already full of dead animals that serve their purpose to feed us. Why pick off the ones in the wild as well?

On the other hand I'm not a big fan of the way animals "live" and die in the slaughterhouse. I'd prefer them to be wild and free, hunted down only when the need for food arises. Should I then feel guilty for every steak I buy in the grocery store? Although I did not kill the animal with my own two hands, my demand for it's meat is enough to force it to live and die the way it does. Is it not better to hunt an animal down rather than buy that steak in a store?

Ideally everyone should have to hunt down their own meat if they need/want it. I think it's more moral to kill your own meat by hunting it down than buying from the grocery store. I might change my mind again somewhere down the line, but that's where I stand today.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

This shows proper respect for the animal
Wanton killing of game is a shame..Eat what you kill or dont kill it !

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Look at it this way. You just practiced what could once again become a very important skill. Knowing that you can catch game and feed yourself and your family is one less source of stress if TSHTF. It is just a duck. Now, be sure not to kill the tame ones in the parks, save those for when you really need them. I would use the parts you don't eat as a contribution to your compost pile, and/or feed it to your cat/dog.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
You should feel ashamed ................ Murderer

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The only time you should feel guilty is if you kill just for killing's sake. If you consume your game and it's for your table there should be no guilt. The times I've felt bad is when I've seen deer poorly shot and they can't be tracked and you know they're probably dying some slow, miserable death. That's why it's really important to make a clean kill.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Originally posted by Gannicus
You shouldn't feel anything, except maybe some respect for the animals that will feed you. Its a prey animal serving its purpose in life, which is to be food for meat eating animals.

of course you should feel something... Unless there is something wrong with your prana flows..

I just meant he shouldn't feel bad.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PeterGriffin

To be fair mr griffin I have not indicated wether I have needed it or not. I do not need to explain myself to you but I actually cannot afford to buy meat from the supermarkets at the moment and this was my only way to get some. I actually think it is more respectful to nature to see what you eat from start to finish rather than allowing a slaughter house to do the dirty work for you and thus remove you from the relevance of the process. He was very tasty and I am now glad I have done it. I hate killing for killings sake but if you eat what you kill then it is good. I was just shocked by my lack of emotion that is all.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
You like jerkey go to Dunahms or another sporting goods store and get jerkey mix and mix it with hamburger. Roll it out between 2 sheets of wax paper and coo cut into strips and smoke or dehydrate it. Good practice year round.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AnalyticalDreamer

saw gruesome things... Didn't even raise my heartbeat or anything. I can watch beheading's and witch burnings all day without feeling squeamish or blinking.

??? That creeps me out...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

That is because the duck probably has more of a nurturing and loving instinct and capacity for tenderness than you. The duck is dead but it was still better than you.

The duck will re-incarnate into a more transcended being and you will probably come back as the duck.

Which was probably some little kid's pet.

Big brave man.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I killed a duck and threw it in the bin am i a bad man now ?

Regards
Lee

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
GET A GRIP !!

Second line.
edit on 11-9-2011 by h3akalee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Just a question to those that think I am pure evil. Have you ever eaten meat?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I really don't understand the people on here posting that the OP is inhumane or a murderer. Despite the fact that we live in concrete and steel structures, or drive to get somewhere, or most buy their food at a store, we are still animals. We have only been desensitized through social interaction and technology to feel that we are not part of mother earths food cycle.

Up until 100 years ago we received the majority of our sustanence from the land including plants and animals, most did not go to the corner market to buy our dead animal for dinner. I am half Lakota Sioux, 25% Apache, and 25% Irish and consider myself American Indian. My people understood, and the large majority of us still do, that the creator gave us all things for our survival and we should appreciate that they were given to us so that we may live.

I still provide the majority of our food from the wild whether it's from hunting, fishing, or trapping and would never consider changing that. The quality of our food is much better than the hormone and enzyme infested mass produced food that you get from the store. When I am hunting or fishing and kill something for food I don't see it as murder anymore than a Lion on the plains of Africa does when he takes down a Gazelle. I am appreciative of the food that the earth has provided me with and wish safe passage of their spirit to the after life and honor that animals life by letting none of it go to waste.

I laugh sometimes when I see comments on here and other sites suggesting that someone is evil or a murderer for killing an animal for food. That is the circle of life and by killing for food we are only playing our natural part in completing the circle, just as we will be doing when our time comes and we see our last day.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
Just a question to those that think I am pure evil. Have you ever eaten meat?

The better question is have they ever eaten fresh wild fed wild meat? Once you have you will know just what kind of garbage you are being fed at the grocery store.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join