It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Unassuming Weapon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by neo96

Right, but this is more about "unassuming" weapons...or weapons that don't necessarily appear to be weapons or very discrete weapons.

The cane is a great one (especially if you opt for a quality sword cane). The Kubotan is great if you know how to use it, but in the average Joe's hands, useless.

Brass knuckles, of course, can't be denied either.

Most unassuming weapons will be melee weapons, of course.

Another great unassuming weapon and extremely versatile, the spork! If you have to question it, you just aren't ready to know...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

yeah i know all about illegal full automatic machine guns are legal in my state

but an automatic knife is illegal go figure the current laws on the books are outrageous

from brass knuckles to machines guns and everything else in between.

*edit to add back in the day simple throwing stars were legal once upon a time however now?

illegal.

edit on 12-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I feel comfortable with my bare hands enough to not need a weapon. Maybe a lighter as a fist filler at most.

But I understand most of these are a deterrent rather than a direct fighting weapon (albeit they work both ways).

Should it come time to draw a weapon (can't see myself in a position where i'd need to), i'd be fine with a stick or blade of any kind.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I feel comfortable with my bare hands enough to not need a weapon. Maybe a lighter as a fist filler at most.

But I understand most of these are a deterrent rather than a direct fighting weapon (albeit they work both ways).

Should it come time to draw a weapon (can't see myself in a position where i'd need to), i'd be fine with a stick or blade of any kind.

Really where a cane is the most valuable is against an assailant with a knife. There's nothing that makes me cringe more than the idea of going hand to hand against someone with one. You're going to get cut. Period. Having a cane keeps the attacker at distance and you can safely defend yourself. Gun against a knife is no good. You'll be cut before you draw if he's within 20 feet and you risk losing it and being in even worse shape. A cane though gives you THE best odds in a knife fight.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Gotta mention the Unbreakable Umbrella.

Plus you don't have to fake a limp.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

That's good too! Though I think I could get by without much of a limp with a cane and no one think anything. A cloudless sky carrying an umbrella though is going to look funny..

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ajax

I had a guy in high school that was severely bipolar. You would be surprised all the things they had to keep away from him. He sunk a pencil in a guys arm one day and they about never got all the graphite out.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by PayMeh

Originally posted by yourmaker

Really where a cane is the most valuable is against an assailant with a knife. There's nothing that makes me cringe more than the idea of going hand to hand against someone with one. You're going to get cut. Period. Having a cane keeps the attacker at distance and you can safely defend yourself. Gun against a knife is no good. You'll be cut before you draw if he's within 20 feet and you risk losing it and being in even worse shape. A cane though gives you THE best odds in a knife fight.

very good points.

the cane definitely is a good distance weapon. wish I had one when some dude tried to get my ipod for free like a week ago, but it's cool, I just ran, didn't feel like getting shanked that night. I felt like I could've knocked him out but really who wants to risk getting knifed over an ipod when running works.

I like how you added the 20 feet part, that is so true! the average person can close a 21 foot gap in 1.5 seconds.

Originating from research by Salt Lake City trainer Dennis Tueller "rule" states that in the time it takes the average officer to recognize a threat, draw his sidearm and fire 2 rounds at center mass, an average subject charging at the officer with a knife or other cutting or stabbing weapon can cover a distance of 21 feet.

this is where my tactics and fighting philosophy change though, it's very subtle.

To counter someone closing a 21 foot gap in 1.5 seconds, you need to move a foot back in .5 seconds. Easy.
My fighting style revolves around milimetres and seconds. In close combat, everything can be predicted and maintained within constant distance parametres between you and your attacker. As he attacks, you attack and parry him in his moment of weakness. Good shot to the throat, fight over.
If he is bigger and stronger, you can defend by reading his movements, staying always just out of reach.
There are characteristics we all carry, that can be read and manipulated. (A step forward, fists up, he looks here, he's thinking this/that)

For me, everything the attacker does, and can possibly do is in his little box that I can move at will.
It sounds strange, but it works. I'm 5'10, 150 pounds.
No one has been able to hit me, except my best friend, and thats cause he threw sand in my eyes.
So unless your attacker throws sand in your eyes or you aren't aware you're even in a fight, this works.

if you aren't a natural fighter though, use anything that will help you survive.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I carry a deer antler spike about 6 inches long that has a natural curve and handle, its quite the little nasty and its non metallic so it can easily be walked passed any metal detector and it stronger than wood, plastic,or aluminum

I'd say a good heavy leather, nylon or kevlar belt with a heavy quick release buckle might be more appropriate and totally unassuming.

The only other thing i could suggest would be to modify a cellphone to shoot 22 cal. most people are never going to see a cell phone as a gun and with a laser, it would be lethal

oh i forgot to mention stainless steel car keys with big fat thumb handles that are extra long. you can either have them made special or order them from the chinese. you don't even need to sharpen them or have them cut as a working key, its the ultimate unassuming weapon and totally legal....its perfect for popping eyeballs out

edit on 12-9-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

Good point but if someone is younger or a lady then a walking stick may look out of place. I live in a very sunny area and the ladies use umbrellas to keep the sun, as well as rain, off. A guy world get funny looks though.

I have always like the idea of extending batons. Maybe hidden in something that you would naturally have in your hand like a cellphone, water bottle or a portable audio player.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Just to share a story about an unassuming weapon. Back in my younger days I knew a few pro-wrestlers. Yes, 99.99999% of everything you see is a "work". That is pre-planned, punches pulled, etc. However, something to keep in mind is the vast majority of these guys are large, athletic and many do have at least some type of training. Also, they will occasionally get upset at each other and that will on occasion turn physical.

One of the worst whuppings I ever witnessed was backstage at an event years ago when one of these broke out and one of the guys grabbed a mop.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I agree 100% with you on it all. I grew up in martial arts and years upon years later did I actually have to use it for the first time. From the training I expected my attacker to be much better at fighting than he was. It was almost laughable. 99% of the people are easy to control that way. It's the 1% you have to worry about. And again, someone who knows how to use a knife is really dangerous too.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

Very good points! Belts come in handy for blocking attacks and catching limbs.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
You can make your own weapon. Go to a home improvement store, purchase one of those citronella candles, but make sure its one with a bamboo stick holder.

Cut the candle off the bamboo stick and then cut the stick in half. Make sure you cut the bamboo stick at the join. You want to Have a 3-4 foot stick with one end closed by a join, and the other end open. It should be hollow inside the bamboo cane.

The hole at the open end of your cane can be filled with either BB pellets or Lead pellets. Either one works, I use lead pellets because lead is softer and you can jam more lead into the cane. With lead pellets, I took a screwdriver and pushed pellets down for maximum density. This way you can fit more in and at the same time, prevent the rattling from your pellets inside the cane. Seal the open end with melted wax or whatever you like. Use electrical tape and wrap your bamboo cane at both ends up to the center joint.

I made one of these the other day. There is a good weight at the end of the stick and the damage results are devastating. it is easy to carry and people just think its a regular stick, not expecting the surprise impact. I tested this weapon on a watermelon, and I'm still washing my patio off.
edit on 12-9-2011 by LeTan because: Spelling errors

edit on 12-9-2011 by LeTan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I once used a rubber hose to beat the snot out of someone, hehe...

He was threatening my little brother with a pretty big stick. I grabbed the hose, swung it around a few times (the metal nozzle on the end working as a weight), and knocked the stick right out of his hand.

Then, I went to town beating him with it as he cowered away and ran home. Never did have any trouble with him after that. I warned him not to step in the yard...so it's on him.

Just about anything can be a weapon if you think fast enough.

An earlier poster said throwing stars are illegal....really?

I'm a damn good throw with those, but even I could only hope to slightly wound someone with one of those.... I mean sure, I suppose if you got it in their eye...but even still....(and I'd be aiming for center of mass, not extremities)..

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Bamboo is painful alone! Much less jammed with pure weight. I can imagine that's one heck of a tire thumper!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

About the worst beating I ever got was an angry woman with a vinyl window blind stick. You know the ones that open and close the shades. Good grief those things have some flex to them!

And I've never really had much faith in throwing stars either. Then again, I suppose if one had enough weight to one and sharpened them good they would be devastating. I've never really seen what kind of damage they can do to a body, so it's hard to make a call on it.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

i always wanted to make custom throwing stars and put some real weight in them so they have some force. think about having throwing stars that are a 1/4 inch thick in the middle with some real weight behind them. 4 points is probably the best design. you could do some real damage. if you hit someone in the head, they'd pierce the skull.

as for what i carry, i usually have a telescoping baton in my pocket. they're completely legal to conceal carry (where i live atleast) and if you have some lead and a means for melting it, you can fill the third section up so it's solid and heavy.

here are 6 by cold steel. the heavy weight ones are 6mm thick (1/4 inch is 6.35mm). they get some pretty impressive penetration, and would do some serious damage on someone.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have studied a bit of cane fu, it's very useful as a weapon. Though my most powerful Unassuming Weapon of them all is my steel toe boots. If you have great balance and good kicking power it's very handy to have some nice boots! I have put my boots through car windshields and knocked down house doors for demonstrative purposes. I consider myself a natural athlete, I have no problem sticking my boot up someone's arse.

edit on 13-9-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The strategic advantage of the shuriken isn't the damage it does. It's a great way to get poison in someone's bloodstream from a distance, and the rolling action of the star once it hits the target creates multiple puncture wounds which would make the opponent's elevated heart rate work against him and tire him faster in a combat or chase scenario.
Still a great unassuming weapon nonetheless.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join