It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Unassuming Weapon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I think we often forget that just about anything can be used as a self defense weapon. We simply overlook it because it isn't restricted or regulated. I took a few "theme" classes last year offered to black belts. This came up in one of those and I have to tell you it's remarkably good info.

I'll be taking an extended trip in a few months via Greyhound all the way up the east coast, into eastern Canada and ending at family in western Canada. I've been reckless in my youth when traveling alone, but this time I plan to carry a walking cane with me. There is nothing better nor more inconspicuous than this simple tool. It can be taken everywhere and in the right hands, it's a devastating self defense item.

This subject was brought up here: The Unassuming Weapon and I thought I would pass it along.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
When I was much younger, I used to carry a sword cane. It was stout enough to be an effective club, but also had a straight double edged 24" blade. I lost it years ago, but I used to take it everywhere. That was before I got a carry permit. In a real SHTF situation, I have to wonder if it might be very useful to have again while in the city away from my vehicle. Once I get to my vehicle though, it would be highly redundant. Maybe I could give it to my nine y/o son once I pick him up?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I have a Tactical...
walking cane made of THICK aluminum. There are sites actually dedicated to using canes as a defensive waepon. It actually saved me once.

They call it Cane Fu. Don't believe me? Google it.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Well, I agree with it being redundant once you reach your vehicle. It really shines everywhere else though. It's way faster than a hand strike, has way more force, and you already have your hand on it so it's faster than drawing a weapon right away if you CC. I'm not planning on taking one everywhere with me.. yet.. I'm still too young to fake it 24/7. However places that you're worried about that have posted "no concealed weapons" this gives you at least something. Self defense is really all about layering. Martial arts only gets you so far. Concealed carry only takes you so far, but you start stacking you options and you are exponentially better off.

Carrying a stick when you're hiking trails gives you the same added security. The way things are now, I'm always uneasy hiking populated trails. It's just an extra layer of security really. The older folk that actually need them, well.. Let's just say after the classes I stay a good 6 feet clear of everyone with a cane! lol I still remember the bruises.!!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
have a look at This company they have some 20 bore shotgun walking sticks for those who fancy letting their walking do the talking

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
I have a Tactical...
walking cane made of THICK aluminum. There are sites actually dedicated to using canes as a defensive waepon. It actually saved me once.

They call it Cane Fu. Don't believe me? Google it.

Nice!! I had no idea it was a dedicated practice or there were tactical models available! lol Sounds sort of funny, but it's a killer idea! I'm going to have to look into that! Thanks!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Yep, one of the best Unassuming Weapons made. And unless they are being especially like Equus Africanus Asinus our favorite bunch TSA/Homeland Security will allow these on board. And has been noted most people do not notice these or think of them as a weapon.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I dont play golf
but I have a putter that makes a perfect cane
It will be a first strike weapon alowing me time to draw my pistol

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by barkingdogamato

Exactly! No one is going to deny you taking one anywhere out of fear of winding up on the news as discriminating against the handicapped.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
You want unassuming weapons, you should see me on an airplane.

I always take with me a couple of pens and an extra pair of shoelaces.

I specifically buy new pens before I travel. I ensure that they have a rigid aluminum body and metal point. The reason being that if I need to jam it into someone's neck, it's not going to snap like a cheap plastic BIC pen.

I bring the shoelaces because they are fairly versatile. I can use 2 different knots which take just seconds to make and either turn the laces into handcuffs or into a garrote. The beauty of using a surveyor's knot is that the harder I pull and the more you struggle, the tighter it gets.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
My grandma hand a handle on the ultimate in nonlethal weapons years and years ago...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d24caa68a13b.jpg[/atsimg]

I can attest to the effectiveness of it too... more than once at some perceived wrong doing... she had me trapped cowering in a corner... begging for forgiveness
edit on 12-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
There are some good sword canes out there too. Just be sure to get a quick release one, vs. the ones you have to unscrew.

My personal favorite though, is my stun gun. It looks just like a cell phone, so I often just palm it in my hand whenever I'm walking in a dangerous area. a flick of the switch, and a quick jab, and my attacker is convulsing on the ground while I get me and loved ones to safety.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
yep golf clubs

do make an effective weapon

just ask tiger woods.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Explanation: Im not stupid! The HUMAN BODY is the most unassuming weapon that one carries at all times!

But I do see the value of using unassuming tools to augment that!

I recommend my fellow members invistagate the various types of stick and knife fighting techniques that exist i.e. Eskrima is a good place to start.

Eskrima [wiki]

I also recommend tessenjutsu!

Tessenjutsu [wiki]

And here is a great cheap solid robust walking stick that I offer up as an effective dual use tool.

Cold Steel African Walking Stick [coldsteel.com]

Ones jacket and or belt can act as a whip. If you have any keys ... put them in your fist and make them count!

Kubotan [wiki]

The Kubotan (sometimes erroneously spelled as Kubaton or Kobutan) self-defense keychain is a close-quarter self-defense weapon developed by Takayuki Kubota. It is essentially a derivation of the yawara (柔?) stick, usually 5.5 inches (14 cm) long and 0.56 inch (1.5 cm) in diameter, slightly thicker or the same size as a marker pen. Attached with a keyring for convenience and concealment, the Kubotan appears as an innocuous key fob to the untrained eye, although it may be considered an offensive weapon in some jurisdictions.

Personal Disclosure: I was recently watching some chinese hero PWN 2 thieves on a motorbike with his bicycle by throwing it at them and I use this technique when confronted with unleashed dogs having a go at me! Just raising it above my head increases my apparent size and yelling and advancing quikly [as can drop the bike immediately down in front of me as a shield defence] has saved me several times and possesing a bike generally means the dog owner can not escape my wrath either! Bicycle helmets are mandatory in Australia and the double as great unassuming head protecting in a fight.

Equipment:

1 x bicycle

1 x bicycle helmet

1 x walking stick

1 x keyring kubotan

1 x long key chain

1 x Jacket [might act as a shield against knives if used correctly]

1 x leather belt with metal buckle.

1 x drink bottle with nozzle [ I like to spray it at the enemies face!]

Be creative ok!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Only if you connect with the head of it. If you hit someone with just the shaft, won't be so effective. Still, better than nothing I suppose. Of course, even a well-aimed golf ball won't be welcomed.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Quite right Spetznaz has used the shovel as a weapon since their inception, and we all know of the simple walking stick as one as well.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

i do agree while bats and the 9 iron golf club with the right end hitting the target can be effective.

i consider them to be melee weapons which require you to be closer to your opponent than i normally like.

while they do in a pinch i prefer shotguns for up close and personal or handguns

my prefrrred choice of weapon will always be a gun altho alot of people dont have that choice but anything you deicide to pick up will get you one when used with the right tactics.
edit on 12-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Right, but this is more about "unassuming" weapons...or weapons that don't necessarily appear to be weapons or very discrete weapons.

The cane is a great one (especially if you opt for a quality sword cane). The Kubotan is great if you know how to use it, but in the average Joe's hands, useless.

Brass knuckles, of course, can't be denied either.

Most unassuming weapons will be melee weapons, of course.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

i have some brass knuckles also have a couple of rolls of dimes will also do

they also make cane guns was also a big fan of wrist guns those could be considering unassuming.
edit on 12-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The weird part about brass knuckles though, is that they are often highly illegal. I have no idea why though...when you get down to it, it's just a shaped piece of metal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join