It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK severe weather warnings issued for Scotland and North England. Amber alert!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

its blowing the wrong way thankfully ... most weather systems we get in the uk move from a westerly position to an easterly position (flowing with the jet stream).

this one is coming from the west

if it was coming from the east, we could have been in trouble

True but there has just been a blast at a nuke site in France!!! Luckily that happened on the Southern tip!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by WarminIndy

ahh, most interesting, and confusing ... no wonder emericans get confused when looking at the met office lmao.

i would imagine usa has more levels of severity as well, as they get much more serious weather than us in the uk!

It depends on where in the US you are. I think the UK is only as big as about 5 states on the East Coast. So I would assume different parts of the UK get different weather as well. We call our met office...The National Weather Service.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Here in the US we had an unusually hot, short summer. But at the beginning of this month, our weather in Indiana changed so drastically, we went from very hot to very cool in just a day and now we are at mild temps and have had rain for 3 days last week. That is unusual as well.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Haven't really heard anything on the news about amber alerts, but high rain and wind is pretty normal for the UK - especially the northern areas

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I've just been up town, thought I would put a T-shirt, jumper and waterproof coat on. By the time I got into town I had sweat pouring from places I didn't even know could sweat! It's very windy, especially the gusts, it's raining, but by 'eck, it's bloody warm!

Few tiles been blown off roofs as well.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
Haven't really heard anything on the news about amber alerts, but high rain and wind is pretty normal for the UK - especially the northern areas

Love your signature. Can I borrow that one for my facebook?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Yeah, it's not my quote. It's from the song Storm by Tim Minchin, if you're interested
edit on 12/9/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Neighbours fence just blew down. Getting strong gusts now, it's picking up even stronger as I type this. Saw three fallen tree's on my way to the gym this morning. Looks like there might be some localised damage in and around the vulnerable area's.

Stay safe.

PS: Don't bother with baggy clothes, I saw a reasonably young, fit woman blow over. She was wearing an anorak type thing, wind picked her up in it like a boat sail.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
well how no one was hurt in our garden today, i will never know. Been asking the neighbours for over a year now to get rid of this giant deathtrap of a tree to be cut down to a safe level, and the council wont get involved....now most of it has come down took a wall, a fence, the bairns 8ft trampoline is bent in two....but for some reason they stil not bothered. Any solicitors out their? lol

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Im in NE England, very windy here, lots of broken branches and all my cooking apples have fallen off the tree..runner beans are down and tomato plants have GONE.

Other than that, all is well.

Oh, my friend is in Montrose, Scotland, she fears she will lose her roof, wind's are very bad up that way.

ETA it is very warm, has been for a few days now. Could sunbathe if the wind wasnt so bad
wind has picked up a lot in the past half hour since I posted, all sorts of stuff flying around the gardens!
edit on 12-9-2011 by CherryV because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Oh damn,I left my washing out on the line this morning knowing it was gonna be a bit windy,probably be scattered to all points of the compass now,it real is getting blustery here(north of UK). Some of the local roads have been shut off for high sided vehicles and my mates mini green houses are irrepairable,even though they were weighed down with breeze blocks!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
In lincoln, winds currently 53 mph and its still a nice 20 degrees.

In other news...

UK shuts down wind turbines as storm Katia hits.

Makes sense, its windy after all?

af.reuters.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by butterflycatcher

Makes a lot of sense, have you ever seen one that failed to shut down in high wind? It's pretends it's a helicopter before shattering in lots of nasty dangerous fragments.

Theres a crap load of them off my town shore in the middle of the sea, inbetween here and Scotland (Solway Firth), I reckon if it wasn't for the exploding thing they could probably power the whole of the UK with these winds

edit on 12/9/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ayr to Largs Road has been closed due to flooding and the trains are not getting through either due to tree blockage. The wind gusts seem to be getting stronger but there are times now when the wind just stops for a few seconds. The apple trees have been wind picked and are now bare and my 4 chickens have moved inside with us. It saves them being blown round the garden...oh, they look really appreciative and have eaten the dogs dinners.

respects

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I live in Barnsley on the top of one side of the valley (on the edge of the Pennines) and i can see they have stopped the wind turbines on the wind farms i can see... No damage to report from me though

Stay safe

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It looked like it was calming right down early afternoon - now it's picking right up again.

Can see fences, trees etc coming down pretty soon (if not already).

Seriously warm though!

Keep safe people

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Watch this!!

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
N-East England calling in... Wind gusting something terrible!

These are the times when I rue wearing a dress and my kite-flying
is going to be on hold...

Roll on Summer?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
15 miles west of edinburgh calling in

decent wind, satellite dish holding up well with a crystal HD picture.

Seen a heck of a lot worse than this in scotland. A little brisker than a normal day.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zeetroyman

'They' say you'll be takin' the brunt of it -Sir...
Keep indoors!
(I won't draw a parallel with my dress and kilts!)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join