It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK severe weather warnings issued for Scotland and North England. Amber alert!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by wigit

warm you say ??? maybe i have been reading too much lately, but if its heating up AND this post tropical storm is coming in ... cant this intensify it? ... again, answers from weather geeks would be appreciated! (theirs only so much google listed sites and reaserch can tell us).

No, the warmth is simply due to some tropical, humid, air being brough north by the system. Makes it quite strange though since we usually only get winds like this when it's cold enough for a coat ....

Anyway, tropical storms do feed off warm seas, but the air tremperature itself doesn't make any difference. And the seas around Britain haven't been warm enough to sustain a tropical storm in at least 100,000 years and most likely more like 3,000,000 years.

However, other factors can cause normal extratropical cyclones to intensify - the pressure to deepen - as indeed happened in Oct '87. But with this system pressure is building all the time. So no need to worry on that score.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

thanks for the info essan

tbh, im not worried in the slightest, most times met office predict anything related to extreme windy events it leads to absolutely nothing worth or note happening... much like how if an event is predicted on ats its a dead cert it will not happen.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Since when did the UK, Scotland and Northern England start using the Amber Alert?

and besides, i thought the Amber Alert was an American invention used as a way to alert the public about missing children?

please clarify. i'm confused.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by lkpuede
Since when did the UK, Scotland and Northern England start using the Amber Alert?

and besides, i thought the Amber Alert was an American invention used as a way to alert the public about missing children?

please clarify. i'm confused.

The amber alert in the UK is completely unrelated to the US amber alert. No need for confusion. The UK Met Office amber alert is severe weather-related.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I can confirm that in my little part of England, (hertfordshire) is slightly blustery, but ultimatly it's a lovely day.

Pah, hurricains. I eat them for breakfast.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Very windy here in Lincoln at the moment but no rain oh well still gonna jump in my hot tub

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Just took this from newton shore at ayr!!

its just the beggning of the storm and it has worsened since :p

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Very windy here in n.ireland, seems to be getting worse as the day progresses.
Think ill just sit in today and take it easy.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Why are you issuing an Amber Alert for bad weather? Is it different over there? Because here in the United States, an Amber Alert is issued for missing children.
edit on 9/12/2011 by WarminIndy because: My apologies, someone answered it in an above post.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
In America an Amber Alert is when a child gets kidnapped.

en.wikipedia.org...

But anyways....I hope the weather reports are just precautionary and die down before they hit you.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Damn winds taken my foxgloves off!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaGremlin
In America an Amber Alert is when a child gets kidnapped.

en.wikipedia.org...

But anyways....I hope the weather reports are just precautionary and die down before they hit you.

I was looking for the description of the child, and almost panicked because there was none.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
A bit blustery here in Hampshire - but we aren't in any of the weather warning zones - so hey nothing to worry about - right?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

Looks like any summers day I've been down to Ayr

Dulled down a bit in Glasgow, and the wee tree is still bobbing about on the balcony but not any worse than usual.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

very much clearly, YES, we in the uk do use the colour amber for a different situation than in america!

if amber meant the same in the uk as in america , i think their would be mass panic over the pedophile storm!

UK have used a green/amber/red weather warning system for years!

sorry to say, but america do not have the monopoly on the use of the colour amber!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by AnalyticalDreamer

I just hope its not brining radioactive sh it with it!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet

very much clearly, YES, we in the uk do use the colour amber for a different situation than in america!

if amber meant the same in the uk as in america , i think their would be mass panic over the pedophile storm!

UK have used a green/amber/red weather warning system for years!

sorry to say, but america do not have the monopoly on the use of the colour amber!

That is true. But I think we also have a different system for calling emergency services.

We also use different colors for weather conditions. For instance, if we have a Code Black level emergency, it means that there is so much snow that emergency vehicles are the only ones permitted to be on the road.

And we don't use the color Amber, that was the name of a little girl. So it isn't the color, it is the name.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

its blowing the wrong way thankfully ... most weather systems we get in the uk move from a westerly position to an easterly position (flowing with the jet stream).

this one is coming from the west

if it was coming from the east, we could have been in trouble

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

ahh, most interesting, and confusing ... no wonder emericans get confused when looking at the met office lmao.

i would imagine usa has more levels of severity as well, as they get much more serious weather than us in the uk!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Well thats just great.. I'm meant to be going camping tonight!
Still gonna go though its a mates birthday.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join