It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Your Current SUD's Score (Subjective Units of Distress)?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I've put this in DISASTERS/CONSPIRACIES because there didn't seem to be a better slot for it. However, I don't intend that the SUDs scores reported should be exclusively tagged or attached to ONLY DISASTER/CONSPIRACY traumas.

Many of the people I know in all walks of life and a variety of value orientations from SPIRITUAL to RELIGIOUS to relatively nothing . . . in terms of spiritual/religious values . . . have been reporting a rising sense of unease, wariness, apprehension--particularly about the near future.

Many reporte being outright convinced--just "KNOWING" that things are going to change super dramatically much sooner than most of us realize.

40 years ago in my PhD program, we talked about SUD's scores--SELECTIVE UNITS OF DISTRESS. It was merely a self-report scale of how much distress one was feeling at the moment on a scale of 1-10. It wasn't all that elaborate but it tended to be quite reliable in a number of aspects.

I've only been able to find one current mention of it on the net--amazingly. Here:

Subjective Units of Distress Scale

0 No distress at all. Feeling okay and calm.
1 Feeling little if any stress. Not quite fully calm.
2 Faint tension or mild stress.
3 Feeling slightly unpleasant or uncomfortable.
4 Growing distress or discomfort. Mildly agitated.
5 Verging on becoming very uncomfortable and distressed.
6 Very uncomfortableaffecting my attention.
7 Emotionally painfulbecoming severe.
8 The emotional pain is taking over my attention.
9 The emotional discomfort is almost unbearable.
10 The emotional pain is overwhelming me--the worst possible

this New-agish site:

www.freewebs.com...

My thought is that this thread could serve a couple of worthwhile functions:

1. It could serve to affirm that individuals are not alone in what they are feeling, sensing--and thereby lessen their sense of distress as they realized how many shared their feelings currently.

2. It could serve, probably, over time, as a kind of barometer--perhaps even a predictive one. If a significant or majority percentage of ATSers commenting on the thread began suddenly--say within 24-48 hours of each other to feel significantly higher levels of distress--inexplicably--PERHAPS that could be indicative of picking something up from the spiritual realm about impending traumas.

It's just a hypothesis.

If you care to participate, please consider the scale above and use that as your guide OR--just select a number from 1-10. Either way works fine.

You might say something like:

--I've been feeling, on average, about a 4 or 5 for say a 4.5 average. Yet, recently, I've noticed a bit of a bump up in my wariness, anxiety, sense of unease--probably to about a 6-8. . . . or whatever.

Feel free to add any other description of narrative that seems fitting to you.

IF enough participate and IF I can manage the time amidst a rather full plate, I'll try to run some averages on the data every weekend or every other weekend.

Thanks in advance for considering this quasi research project.

edit on 10/9/2011 by BO XIAN because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/9/2011 by BO XIAN because: Fixing redundant title

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I'm at about a six or so. I feel like something is going on, but I don't know exactly what it is. Perhaps it's just a bit of indigestion.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I operate at a constant state of 0 on your scale.

But I will let you know if anything changes.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Thanks much to all who respond.

It just occurred I should own my own . . . LOL.

1. I probably routinely run around a 1-1.5

2. This past month or so . . . there have probably been some blips up to a 3-4 or so.

3. IF I really ruminated on a lot of what I know and think I know, and avoided focusing on God and the Peace He provides, it could likely soar to a 6-8 range.

4. Thankfully, HIS PEACE that passes understanding is an authentic and foundational sort of peace. It has overtaken me in a lot of life and death situations. Am quite thankful for that!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
normaly 1-2
lately around 4

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I guess i would have to say i would be at 3 or 4, but i wouldn't use the word discomfort so much as a sense of anticipation. Can't honestly say what i feel might be on the way just have a feeling of some sort of impending situation that will have some profound effect. Must admit that i have felt this way for some time but the world never fails us as there are really never any shortages of hardships to go through. Would like to say I have a sixth sense but more likely just have a dim outlook on peace and harmony. The next bit of craziness is always just around the corner.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Don't know if you can put any further impressions to it or not . . .

1. Have any recurring images accompanied such feelings?

2. Any particular emotions?

3. Any particular memories been triggered?

4. Any particular relationships been tweaked?

5. Any particular thoughts about preparing in any specific ways?

6. Any particular impressions about changing any of your routines or any of the givens about your life?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

In addition to the following posted just above, I'd ask you . . . (see end of items)

6. Any particular impressions about changing any of your routines or any of the givens about your life?

7. Any particular sensations accompanying such impressions?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by regor77

I can certainly identify with those feelings.

Has this last 30-90 days been 100% similar to a past 90 day period . . . or 75% or 50% similar or what?

If not so similar . . . how different--what ways might distinguish the recent 90 days?

Have you thought or done anything differently about such feelings recently compared to your past routine?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Not really.

A growing sense of anticipation, like the world is on a cliff and about to drop into the Grand Canyon.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, though not in any major way.

Most of them, though in a small manner.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

In addition to the following posted just above, I'd ask you . . . (see end of items)

7. Any particular sensations accompanying such impressions?

1. not that i am aware
2. uncertain, uneasy
3. no
4. no
5.no just waiting
6.no
7.not sure

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

It fluctuates wildly.......depending on the amount and type of chemicals coursing thru my system.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Thanks for your kind reply.

Have your preparations--regardless of how minor, left you feeling more confident in the face of the increased unease?

Do you think you are MORE alert; LESS alert or the same as most of those in your closer social network, about such things?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

How many (or what %) of those in your closer social network would you guess are about the same in their impressions, SUD's on such scores?

How many (or what %) of those in your closer social network would you guess are significantly MORE uneasy, concerned?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Hmmmmmm . . . chemical 'realities' do tend to fluctuate . . . as well as habituate.

So, are you saying the fluctuations are so . . . wide . . . that it's more or less impossible for you to attribute any impressions, feelings of distress to your 'sensings' about the near future?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by whaaa

Hmmmmmm . . . chemical 'realities' do tend to fluctuate . . . as well as habituate.

So, are you saying the fluctuations are so . . . wide . . . that it's more or less impossible for you to attribute any impressions, feelings of distress to your 'sensings' about the near future?

I'm pretty pessimistic about the future if the present is any indication of things to come. Something wicked this way comes.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

...usually, i'm a zero on the suds scale... when that changes, it has nothing to do with anything esoteric, the current state of humanity, politics, the latest doom and gloom prediction or concerns about my future...

...sleep deprivation is usually the culprit that cranks me up but not always... i'm quite capable of hitting 10 and even exceeding that level if things keep messing with my sleep cycle or if something big happens, like the hot water heater exploding last winter, but i get over it purty fast...

...interesting idea you got there...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Something wicked this way comes is something that I can pretty much agree with. Don't exactly know what, but all the weird stuff that's been going on lately don't look good.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Probably about a 3.
However, I've been trying to avoid all media lately.
If I hear one more thing about remembering 9/11 I will puke.
I think most of this stuff is more about ratings and money than remembering a tragedy.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Sleep deprivation has a bigger impact than folks realize. I think alcohol, sleep and anger problems are the 3 biggest cause of auto accidents.

Congrats on your serenity.

If things dramatically change for any of the . . . troublesome geo-political etc reasons above, please let me know.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join