It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

businesses pandering and/or promoting to our kids (?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
was running some errands ... store, gas, cigs and beer ... wrapping up on road trips for the day/weekend and whatnot.

walk into the beer store, and there's this guy with his likely 3-4 year old daughter at the checkout counter.

as i'm walking past, to the coolers, the clerk is presenting, from below the counter, a basket of lollipops and asking if she'd like one ... of course she does ... and proceeds to pick out her favorite flavor.

no reaction on my part, at first ... but as i'm walking to the cooler and back ... i couldn't help but pause to ponder/think something's just not right here.

bank drive-thru's and the like, hell. they even offer doggy bones at most anymore.

but at a beer store. (?)

i questioned/queried the clerk with regards their thoughts on the matter ... and, as expected, it's good for business ... what does it hurt? was the overall response

... even though we somewhat jovially yet seriously bandied about how, in actuality, it likely wasn't the best of ideas or practice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i'm by no means a prude, mind you,, but .... and at the same time, i just felt that 'lollipops at the liquor store' isn't exactly the best message and/or proclivity we can, could, should be passing along to our son or daughters ... our youth.

ATS? Your thoughts. (?)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Lollipops under the counter? In my state here in the U.S., it's illegal for anybody under the age of 18 to even set foot into a liquor store.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Did your parents ever tell you not to drink or smoke? Bet they did at some point, and at some point you thought you were old enough to make the dissension to drink and smoke. Kids grow up making their own dissensions, good or bad it's really up to them. I don't think giving a kid some candy when they are tagging along with their parents is a bad thing Plus it's not like he brought the kid into the store, the parent did.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoClue206
Did your parents ever tell you not to drink or smoke?

Of course they did.

I think it was just the walking in and seeing Dad paying for a 30-pak whilst little Julie picks out her favorite flavor lollipop ... that, i guess, is what took me a bit off guard ... had me questioning/querying. (?)

In her mind, and at that age, beer store == good stuff ... *when are we going again, dad*

*the associative aspect(s), i guess*

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Annie Mossity

questioned/queried the clerk with regards their thoughts on the matter ... and, as expected, it's good for business ... what does it hurt? was the overall response

... even though we somewhat jovially yet seriously bandied about how, in actuality, it likely wasn't the best of ideas or practice.

Those nefarious liquor store people, next thing you know they will be sponsoring little league teams. When will they learn we don't want them near our kids??

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

businesses large and small have been going after the lil ones long before we were born. they are the consumers of tomorrow. in many households these days the precious snowflakes have input on all sorts of decisions where money is spent: what sneakers get bought, which game console is most desired, etcetera.

i have a nephew who knew what The Golden Arches were all about before he could make complete sentences. speaks volumes for his grandmother who raised him.

there has been a long history of products made specifically for childrens enjoyment that for the longest time was mostly purchased by the well-to-do. not everyday toys and clothes, but upscale tiny furniture, designer clothes, you name it. daddy's dollars spent by doting moms has been commonplace since before women were predominant in the workforce.

there has been some toys so tasteless that "oh no! won't someone think of the children!" types have demanded their removal from store shelves. adult themes don't always fit in a child's world but many American corporations care for nothing but the profit. example: a Barbie doll packaged wearing extreme cut-off denim shorts, a halter style top, that included tattoos for Lil Miss to place on her doll. Just like Mommies!

last year there was an image on the 'net someone took of a cheap imported toy doll that came with her own Stripper Pole. nice, huh? a few years ago there was a large line of butt-ugly dolls named 'Bratz' that looked like little hookers. on the big picture, business going after the children has gone so far it's gone crazy.
edit on 9/10/2011 by LargeFries because: typo: wrote 'type' instead of 'top'

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
i agree it is odd, but maybe it was just the person at the counter, i know lots of people who TAKE in treat dishes into whatever job they are at, it keeps the environment friendly, but i do agree it does seem freakishly odd

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

thats nothing today ... look at how our government and business has merged into fascism ...... now watch over the next few years as the fascists that now control Washington DC are moving toward the takeover of state legistatures ....

new topics

top topics

join