It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14,000 Assault Rifle Rounds Are Missing From Fort Bragg North Carolina

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

Point taken. Thank you. I found this comparison:

On the low side, for target shooting, a 22 round has a muzzle velocity of 1,080 fps, making it just barely subsonic and 104 ft/lb of energy delivered to the target. Higher performance 22 rounds can have muzzle velocities of 1,750 fps and a little over 200 ft/lb of energy.

That doesnt include variants like the 22 Winchester Magnum or the "crowd control" pellet rounds used in the 1940s.

Now, on a 223 bullet, also known as the 5.56x45mm NATO, the muzzle velocities can be anywhere from 2,750 to 3,750 fps and deliver between 1,124 and 1,333 ft/lb of energy. The bullets also weigh considerably more than standard 22 rounds.

Source

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

No Problem, a couple of other factors include the tumbling roll of the 5.56 induced through the barrel rifling and the hydrostatic shock brought about upon impact. It will get the job done.

Troops that may think it is underpowered never had to hump 7.62 rounds. That is the price you pay for a bigger bang.
edit on 10-9-2011 by whywhynot because: sp

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

14,000 is only a handfull when compared to the stock piles at Bragg ... I remember being stationed at Camp LeJune when an officer had his men bury a dragon missle for later practice..... at the K-ranges outside Jacksonville...... we would be shooting the mortars and civilians would drive up behind the firing line and watch us ... the good olde days of Weapons Company, 1st btn 6th Marines.....

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Fear mongering by CNN. This is not that big a cache of ammo and is probably an accounting error. Why bring that level of heat on yourself for stuff you can buy with cash at a gun show or at Cabela's?
And it isn't enough for a battalion. Probably not even for a company.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I understand that numerically 14,000 doesn't sound like a lot but in a loaded gun.. in a place like a mall..it's 14,000 to many. Does anyone remember the Ft. Hood shooting?
edit on 10-9-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
They were probably miss placed,

They should really check the aspirin bottles... Some army brat must have dumped them down the toilet shouting at the top of his lungs "Fire in the hole!!!!"

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
...numerically 14,000.. in a place like a mall...

That would look like Left 4 Dead come to life... I usually dislike the whole violent-game-causes-violent-reality idea... but it's possible....

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

yer an idiot.
They are machine gun bullets and they are far mre powerful than a 22 LR.(Used in the Minimi squad automatic weapon.....)It can shoot belts or mags or assault boxes of hundreds of rounds.
If you look at the size of the case youll see they pack many times more explosive than a 22LR.
these rounds are sufficiently stepped out to pierce a kevlar army helmet at 800 meters,,,they travel well above 3000 ft per sec.will go through a car bumper at an oblique angle.....rather than ricochette
The trade off is small bullet go very faster or big bullet go much slower....both may have identical ft lbs of stopping power.
But the faster one is usually more accurate over unobstructed ranges.
Usually shoots farther, and makes better wounds than slow and big.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

A battalion in the US Army can range from 300 to 1000 soldiers, and with the lower number in mind 14k rounds is only enough to arm each soldier to the tune of 466 rounds or 15.5 magazines assuming a standard USGI 30 round magazine (and not something absurd like C-Mags). That is all of course is all going on the assumption of using the M4/M16 weapon system and standard magazines, if you add in things like say a handful of M249 SAWs then you are going to have far less for the M4 weapons since the standard for a M249 is a 200 round belt.

Furthermore the rate of fire for a standard issue M4 is between 700 and 950 rounds a minute, so 14k rounds could be cooked through by a 300 man battalion in short order if every person is only carrying 466 rounds each.

I would put my money on a simple error in paperwork or even more likely some supply clerk thought he could fudge the numbers and abscond with 14 cases worth of ammo which could net him a cool 5 grand on the civilian market, maybe more if they were some kind of special purpose round like the M855 penetrator rounds or M955 black-tip AP.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

Depending on how its packed,

this can be either 7 or 14 boxes.

Not hard to misplace.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Little known at the time...CPT Steele of B Co. 3/75th RGT RGT was dismissed shortly after Somalia because of White Supremacy Group connections and missing ammo!

Look it up. Why would a "HERO" of Somalia be dismissed so quickly?

Former 3/75 RGR RGT...Truth hurts! See who his father is...

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

You made the point I was going to make, but I think your math is off. Assuming the lower number of 300 troops, 14k rounds would only spread out to 46 rounds each. That's only 1.5 magazines worth of ammo, and only assuming its all M-16/M-4's.

14k isn't much. It is barely enough to stock a platoon of 42, not including SAWs.

It's either an accounting error, or some dumb private stealing to sell or going plinking on the weekends.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

So it seems I did, figures math was never my strong suit.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
www.argusleader.com...

This just happened - A man was arrested in SD for killing someone in a collision, they thought there were explosives in his car but it turned out to be a case of this same ammo.

Moreover, the guy was bat# insane and probably was going to do something had he not crashed...

Tasers had no effect on him, and he was not under the influence of any drugs.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Silly Govt. They aren't missing. Operation Fast and Furious needed some rounds to go with the assault rifles they sold to Mexican drug gangs.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by whywhynot

Originally posted by AgentC

Originally posted by orbitbaby

14,000 Assault Rifle Rounds Are Missing From Fort Bragg North Carolina

www.businessinsider.com

Army investigators are searching for 14,000 rounds of ammunition missing from Fort Bragg, NC home to US Army 82nd Airborne Division and Special Forces teams.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

Well heck. They're "machine gun bullets"! Rats. That means I can't use them in my bolt action rifles. Hey, anyone with a machine gun want to buy 14,000 rounds of "machine gun bullets"?

And has anyone found that 2 Trillion dollars missing from the Pentacon yet?

Okay, here is my theory. Jihadi Hajji stole 14,000 rounds of "machine gun bullets". They are packing them in oxygen tanks with C4. Timed to go off throughout the uSA at 9:11AM on 9/11/11.

Look out for Jihadi Hajji's dressed as welders.

If you had bolt action rifles chambered in .223 they would work perfectly.

Just saying

I was being sarcastic.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by AgentC
Well heck. They're "machine gun bullets"! Rats. That means I can't use them in my bolt action rifles. Hey, anyone with a machine gun want to buy 14,000 rounds of "machine gun bullets"?

No, they are NOT "machine gun bullets." They are used in typical rifles such as an M-16. They are automatic, kinda, but they aren't "machine guns." They'll fire a three round burst, or can be set to semi-automatic (one trigger pull = one fired round)

14,000 rounds = 14 boxes. If anyone did steal them, as opposed to them being mislaid, they'd have a nice cache of ammo for their AR-15, but that's about it. At today's prices it's worth $3,000-$4,000 or so. A survivalist would feel very comfy with that stash in his basement, but the fact is you can buy 1,000 round boxes of this stuff at nearly any gun store: Cabela's has it on the shelf.

This round is on the small side. A lot of soldiers think it is underpowered. It has 55 grains compared to a .22 with 40 grains, so you see it really isn't that much more powerful than a .22 long rifle.

This stuff happens all the time. Every training program, every field manuever, ammo is counted out and in, and many times, they have to slog back out to the field to "find" it.

IMO this is not a particularly big deal. Irksome and eye-rolling: yeah, but it doesn;t affect national security.
edit on 9/10/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

Oh heck. I know that. Did anyone read the article? Did anyone look at the link? Did anyone note it said "machine gun bullets"? Is a "machine gun bullet" any different than a bullet you chamber in your bolt action? Bullets are bullets. The only reason "they" called them "machine gun bullets" is because it sounds so much sinister than it really is. Psyops 101.

Never mind. Some of you lost the sarcasm.

By the way, I was in the 82nd Airborne. A mini-gun will expel 14,000 rounds in just over 4 minutes. I've done it. I can take that same "machine gun bullet" and put it in my semi-auto - ya know, one pull one round - M14.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
alright

like whats already been said 14,000 rounds isnt nothing what that means is simple

14 50 cal cans of 1000 each or saw cans.

man i forget how they are packed but thats like 2 or 3 crates or 4 easily miscounted.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join