It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper could be the most powerful political executive in the world: professor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Harper could be the most powerful political executive in the world: professor

ca.news.yaho o.com

Stephen Harper has been accused of having a "my way or the highway" attitude towards governing the country.

Now with a majority government, some would argue that attitude has been exclaimed.

This past week, the prime minister has flexed his proverbial political muscle once again with the introduction of a draconian terror law which will allow for police detention of suspects without charges for up to 72 hours and for judges to compel witnesses to testify at trial.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This really is a surprise to me, I never really pictured Harper could have so much influence all over the world but seeing he has his majority it means a lot more vs having a minority government.

I wonder if that sort of power would have any swing on what lets say Obama does or what Gordon Brown does.

ca.news.yaho o.com

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
He doesnt have overly much influence in other countries, just his own. In that, he is indeed powerful. That is, he would be if 'someone' wasnt telling him what to do. All hail King Figurehead!!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'm a Conservative that doesn't support Harper. This is a hit piece that means nothing. You want to say something about the Draconian policy of this guy? Look at how he runs his own party. Look at him stating that the government watchdog, the Ombudsman, has to have anything they release be OK'd by the PMO. I'm sorry OP but that piece reads like it was written below the border. We've been Americanized enough.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
He is obliged by the laws of the land, his very narrowly defined role, the constitution and by the will of the Canadian people, and can be tossed quickly.

Any bill he passes is just that, a bill or pseudo. It is not a law, and may not mascarade as one.

If one follows a bill or order that is illegal, even if it is deemed to be a crime or illegal at a later date, they are breaking the law, even if they are ignorant of that.

A close representation of what I mean, is the law of virtues written in our hearts, and not to overstep basic and very grass roots common law. For virtues are agreements not stone.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypr2011

This really is a surprise to me, I never really pictured Harper could have so much influence all over the world but seeing he has his majority it means a lot more vs having a minority government.

I wonder if that sort of power would have any swing on what lets say Obama does or what Gordon Brown does.

ca.news.yaho o.com

Have you noticed the biased view point the AUTHOR of the article takes on Harper? The key words "could be" which implies also that he "may not be" powerful.

Don't be so naive and believe all that the author wrote in their article. Btw, this is NOT worth taking seriously. We all know how corrupt Harper is with regards to politics in Canada.

I am neither a Liberal or a Conservative fan. I still wish the Reform Party was still around with Preston Manning.

Conclusion...Harper is a fake, but Canada is still doing well economically...so at least he is doing something right for our country, but that does NOT mean he is powerful.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The reason its very important to speak up and directly confront these kinds of articles when they come is this.

Harpers aids will not pass on emails. But threads on top forums, discussing him are passed on. So get your message out.

This article is lying in that its not representing political reality or defined positions in the least, nor is its discussing law with any clue, such as the way lawyers would discuss in relation to the constitution and that all that is bills are not laws at all. They're not laws. And that even failure to understand what true law is and a crime is not an excuse. But even true law, very basic common law that is a light thing, tapping in lightly to peoples soveriegnity, is still merely agreements and not written in stone, so can be changed. But, bills are not laws.

The purpose of this article is to adopt and american idol type media that would promote fear and passiveness in a population that has never been as easily controlled by government as the US.

Its a FAIL.

This is written so the one who wrote that article knows that there are wide awake citizens who are staring at them with wide awake eyes, and they're going to sit down and shut up. I suggest you join the people instead.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Good point and I agree with your post. *S*

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

According to Evan Solomon's show yesterday or the day before, the Liberals introduced the clause in their anti terrorism act, but the clause was never applied or used, and was sunsetted. He's proposing it be brought back from retirement in case it's needed.

Methinks there was some scary stuff on the OBL hard drives, stuff that he was informed about.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
Conclusion...Harper is a fake, but Canada is still doing well economically...so at least he is doing something right for our country...

By not counteracting the banking policies that Paul Martin brought in.
Canadian politics. Funny #.

new topics

top topics

join