It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighter damage by cannon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Just wondering how much damage any fighter could take by cannon fire before being totally wrecked?

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
it really depends on the fighter, where it gets shot, and with what....

for example: the f-105 had all of its hydralics in one area along the fuselage. one shot in those and the plane lost it.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Depends also on the plane and the speed. For example, on many planes if it were to get a hole in the wing or the control surfaces, the extruding bits of metal will be pushed by the airflow, and will eventually start "peeling back" with the force of the airstream, eventually ripping off a long thin strip of metal.

I don't think many carbonfibre materials have this property.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I dont know if this is what your talking about but heres a link to how much damage a A-10 took in Iraq and still flew home.

www.aircraftresourcecenter.com... 00/0016_A-10-battle-damage/story0016.htm

I think to answer your question you would have to state what type of plane you are talking about because they vary in armour durablity.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Only takes one bullet to kill the pilot.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Just gotta love the A10

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerb
Just gotta love the A10

The only tank in the world with wings.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Armored aircraft like A-10 or SU-25 are very resistant to small calibre cannons like 23mm, and high explosive rounds. So there are used 30-35mm cannons with HEAP rounds, and are very effective against ANY aircraft they hit with even few rounds. Damage is also very dependant on range and place where the round hit. But weapons like six barelled M61 vulcan having 6,000 RPM are just deadly to any aircraft in dogfight. If aircraft crosses line of fire of such cannon it is literally ripped apart.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu

Just gotta love the A10

The only tank in the world with wings.

Now that makes me think of the mi24 hind. That thing is one flying tank too.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Can't forget about the FW-190 and the Skyraider... Both tanks in their day as well.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Actually Mi-24 only looks like a tank, it is a very vulnerable helicopter.But Ka-50/52 is another story ...

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
20mm,23mm,27mm,35mm,ect. Missiles are the way to go. Armour piercing rounds are expensive and difficult to make,I believe the armoured forces always getting priority in these.Tngsten rounds,few and far between.
High explosive is cheap,and no amount of armour plate,tank or aircraft will save you from just several kilos of it detonating.
The cannon shells,it depends.Is it a contact fuse? Are the barrels the long ones for high velocity? Rate of fire? Reliability? You only have one Vulcan.But you have several missiles,each of which have a seeking capability at long range.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If you hit the jet along the Engine or in the engines then they will de straight for the ground. But it really depends where you hit them and big the caliber of the cannon is. Apaches can take some damage too

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

Actually Mi-24 only looks like a tank, it is a very vulnerable helicopter.But Ka-50/52 is another story ...

The AT helicopter with the dual rotor?

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The AT helicopter with the dual rotor?

Yes, and what?

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
If you hit the jet along the Engine or in the engines then they will de straight for the ground. But it really depends where you hit them and big the caliber of the cannon is. Apaches can take some damage too

Apaches? Like 2 shots from ak-74? Or was it hunting rifle

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beast

Originally posted by WestPoint23

No, just Bagdad Bob and his propaganda.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
"Arabic peoples are not fond of helicopters you will find.Clogged filters..."2IC

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beast

Thats the golden BB just about any aircraft can fall victim to this scenario. A bullet just has to hit that sweet spot and it will drop like you hit it with a SAM.

E_T

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I dont know if this is what your talking about but heres a link to how much damage a A-10 took in Iraq and still flew home.

www.aircraftresourcecenter.com... 00/0016_A-10-battle-damage/story0016.htm

I think to answer your question you would have to state what type of plane you are talking about because they vary in armour durablity.

"Anyone seen the wing?"

tailslide.firelight.dynip.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join