It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Omega Point Already Happened -Our World is a Simulation in God's Mind.

page: 1
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Never watch this on acid:


The argument goes off of Bostrom's Simulation Argument but adds on one simple twist: The more advanced the civilization the MORE likely our world is one of its simulations!

Thus it is exponentially more likely that our world is a simulation of the most advanced civilization/state of existence possible than not!

Then taking Kurzweil's Six Epoch of Evolution we find that the most advanced state is the Omega Point.




posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ajax84
 


The end has a twist surprise. Apparently any simulation of the past produced by the Omega Point, due to some weird aspects of physics, will be identical WITH that point in history!

Following from this it follows that this Omega Point could have simulated the Big Bang, and thus created the universe.

Sounds a lot like God to me. This is going to put religion in a whole new light.



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ajax84
reply to post by Ajax84
 


The end has a twist surprise. Apparently any simulation of the past produced by the Omega Point, due to some weird aspects of physics, will be identical WITH that point in history!

Following from this it follows that this Omega Point could have simulated the Big Bang, and thus created the universe.

Sounds a lot like God to me. This is going to put religion in a whole new light.


Or, perhaps, its just a video on youtube.



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar
 


No I meant the Omega Point and in particular it's implications for the Simulation Argument in general. I've seen Bostrom mention the weird similarities this has for religion in his paper already.



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ajax84
reply to post by TsukiLunar
 


No I meant the Omega Point and in particular it's implications for the Simulation Argument in general. I've seen Bostrom mention the weird similarities this has for religion in his paper already.

Well, in all honesty there is something that might be relevant. Have you ever heard of the double slit experiment?

www.youtube.com...

What come to mind is a 'glitch' in reality.



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar
 


The major flaw with the double slit experiment is that they have to put a detector on one of the slits which actually closes the slit. Then you have a single slit experiment with a detector pretending to be a second slit. The reason the interference pattern happens when both slits are open is because there is a carrier wave around every particle. This carrier wave will interfere with itself as it goes thru the two slits.

So the major misconception when they say that observing one slit collapses a quantum state, what they should be saying is that we cannot detect particles going thru one of the slits without completely blocking it thus making the experiment invalid anyways.



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
reply to post by TsukiLunar
 


The major flaw with the double slit experiment is that they have to put a detector on one of the slits which actually closes the slit. Then you have a single slit experiment with a detector pretending to be a second slit. The reason the interference pattern happens when both slits are open is because there is a carrier wave around every particle. This carrier wave will interfere with itself as it goes thru the two slits.

So the major misconception when they say that observing one slit collapses a quantum state, what they should be saying is that we cannot detect particles going thru one of the slits without completely blocking it thus making the experiment invalid anyways.


Ah, i see. Not being rude or anything but can you point me to a citation for that? I really am interested and i have not heard that explanation before. Thanks in advance!



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar
 


physicsworld.com...

Just found an experiment that proves what I am saying. They found a way to plot the particles without disturbing them too much. And guess what they found...

Yup, there is still an interference pattern even when you observe the entire course of a particle.



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo
 


Thank you! It is still pretty weird though!



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo
 


Thank you! It is still pretty weird though!



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Fast forward to 6:48 to see what a carrier wave is and why it can interfere with itself.



Article discussing the experiment.
www.physorg.com...

Here is the contact info for the French scientist.
www.lps.ens.fr...



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo
 


Morgan Freeman's voice is so easy to listen too(surprised as i was to see him).

On topic(which is still technically off topic in this thread, which we have derailed): The idea that they behave both as a wave and a particle makes sense in context of the Double Slit Experiment. Thanks for clearing that up for me! I will be doing more research now that i know exactly what to look for. Thanks a lot!



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar
 


I don't think we derailed it too much. The idea of a world inside a computer was supported by the old double slit experiment which showed a glitch in reality. Now that we have proven the old double slit experiment to be flawed, its likely the world is a computer theory is bogus as well.



posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ajax84
 



It may be kinda interesting but that video is horrible. hard to follow the colored text on the screen.

I find nothing of any substance in that video. The theory assumes a lot that either has not happened or is impossible. it assumes that the more advanced a civilization is more likely to be simulation. It assumes that computer simulations will have true consciousness.

I don't see these being reality. We only have at best possible mimicking of consciousness with the best AI.. so you may get to a point that you cannot tell an AI from a real Human but still that's not real consciousness. Even if the AI itself believes it is real it's not.

You might counter with who's to say our consciousness is real and we are not AI's? This becomes a circular argument you can never hope to prove or disprove, therefore you cannot say the omega point has already happened with any certainty.

If your going to create a simulation why would it be more plausible for it to be a more advanced one? Wouldn't an older less technical civilization be just as demanding on the computer that's running the simulation? Wouldn't it use as many resources to mimic or recreate the environments?



posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Awesome video.

I've take it a step further here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I will also add that from our perspective, the omega point has happened twice. But from other perspectives, it has happened more.

Please read the link.

edit on 11-9-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Does it matter ,really? Because for us it is clearly not a simulation.



posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Does it matter ,really? Because for us it is clearly not a simulation.


Except of course for the implications it has for religion. Magic spells or cheat codes? Eh?



posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ajax84
 




Except of course for the implications it has for religion. Magic spells or cheat codes? Eh?


Well - can simulations use cheat codes? In reality - this is a philosophical issue , not a religious or even technological one. In any case - for us it does not matter.



posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
this is an awesome thread and i will post more later when i get home from work.

makes you wonder if the aliens in ufo's are observers doing the simulating or if they are part of the simulation too



posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
STOP THE PRESSES!

STS-135 the Final Shuttle mission:



OMG!



new topics

top topics



 
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join