It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My current situation,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
So, another person, with another rant. Lets see how this turns out.

I am just going to cut it clean, and give you an unbiased scenario. I would just like your opinions please, if you all wouldn't mind sharing your piece of mind.

Thursday of this week, in my Senior Personal and Interpersonal Communication class, my teacher had us do presentations. They were easy presentations, we just had to cover a section in our PIC book, and teach it to the class. We taught it via power point, and it was a very clean project. Dry cut information, not much to do.

In my group, I did most of the work. I made the power point, I took all the notes, and designed and put together the review game. Sydney helped a little, but Shaun and Amber just sat there. Not a big deal, as long as the work got done, I didn't care who had to do it.

So we get done presenting, and go sit down. Our presentation went well, I made some funny jokes about the definitions, and I talked fine. I had just came from weight training, and I was tired from running and squats. I go to my desk, and sit down, wait for the next presentation.

A few more people go, and apparently there are two or three people talking on the other side of the room. She snaps, and goes off on us. She was really yelling at us, and going off the edge. She started calling us a bad class, and threw around 'ridiculous' and 'outrageous' a lot. I didn't think anything of it, wasn't a big deal, didn't pertain to me.

Then my good friend Mary mumbled "Jesus Christ..", and she lost it again. She started yelling at Mary for using Jesus's name in vain. Because this situation doesn't exactly fit in well with school, (Yelling at a child for breaking one of the 10 commandments) other students started to tell my teacher that she didn't have a right to be that angry.

She flipped out again, and told the students it wasn't their place to try an stick up for another student while they were being disciplined. I thought that was pretty ridiculous, but let it roll off my back. She wanted to see Mary after class, Also thought that was hooky.

After presentations, she started ranting about how the class is the worst she has ever had. Then she specifically said, "Never in my 6 years of teaching, have I seen a class that is this horrible. I am actually dreading every day I have to teach this class, I don't want to. If you guys think you are going to review with me for your chapter test coming up, you can forget it. I had all these review games planned, but because you are such a ridiculous class, it's not happening anymore. You can check out a text book and learn by yourself."

I spoke up, told her we didn't do anything wrong, and that if you have a problem with three people, to take it up with them, and not yell at the whole class. She got even more pissed, and kept on ranting.

Like okay man, we didn't do anything wrong. three kids were talking. That's it. It wasn't loud or obnoxious, they were talking among themselves. We really were not being that bad. I can say truthfully.

So when class comes to an end, she gives us an assignment for homework. We were to describe how we can make the class better as an individual, and then as a group. I wasn't about to do this assignment, it's ridiculous.

So the next day, after more presentations, she collected the papers, and read them in front of the class. I wrote at the last minute, on some notebook paper, "We didn't do anything wrong, you were rude to us." She stood up there, and read it to the class. People started laughing, and she flipped out even more. I spoke up again, told her she was downright rude to us, and that I wasn't about to right an apology letter for something I didn't do.

So after an argument with her, and a few other students that like to play teachers pet, class was over. People were trying to tell me to stop while I was arguing. I didn't really.

Her main point that she kept yelling was that she wasn't going to show us respect, until we showed her respect. But the thing is, we have all showed her respect. There are like three kids that didn't do their work, and talked during class. The rest is fine.

So like an hour ago, my Mom showed me an email that she sent to me, and my principal. She said that my offensive language and rude conduct got me the detention. But I made sure that I wasn't rude, and that I didn't say any offensive language. So, I am going to have to go into the office tomorrow, and explain this situation to my principal, and to Mrs. D. This is going to be fun.

Opinions, suggestions?

17 year old, level headed male.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WillNiendick

Write down everthing that happened and then let the principal look it over without letting the teacher look it over. Then get the teacher to tell the principal exactly what happened in her mind. If he/she is a good principal, they will find the truth out. Just make sure not to get heated, it sounds like the teacher has that role locked down.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
no matter what is said 'stay calm'.

my advice is just go in, stay quiet and apologise before anyone says anything. reel off an apology as soon as you get in.

the teacher obviously has problems. you are never going to get anywhere with them. if you go in stay quiet and apologise you will probably freak the teacher out.

when you have a numpty teacher like this your gonna have look after yourself in whatever the class is. Just forget about the teacher and work on the material yourself. there is no point in arguing over this. you are the only person who will loose out.

I know many will disagree but this what i would do. you seem intelligent, the points you make are very fair so you should be well able to teach yourself and ask a friend if you need more help.
edit on 10-9-2011 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2011 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Sounds like a plan, I have a decent idea of all the events that went down. I should be able to have a copy of it with me.

And I figured that is what I am going to have to do. This lady really isn't the brightest, (obv), so learning the ways of communication will probably be independent. Even though it's all common sense anyways..

Thanks for the feedback, I will be back shortly after my workout.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It seems this is the first time an "authority figure" has accused you of something you are not guilty of:
1) Consider yourself fortunate.
2) Get used to it, it won't be the last.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
hmmm.... I know teachers can lose it at times....especially when they feel frazzled..and are feeling like their authority is being challenged..they are not perfect..and they are human...but they still need to be accountable for how they deal with a situation...just as students need to be accountable for how they deal with their frustrations.

All of the good teachers I have known, have really known how to control their anger, and say what they have to say....with authority, but without yelling..and also know how to let go of their egos to resolve a situation.

It's really unfortunate this scenario had to escalate to the point it did..and it does make me wonder why ?

I would love to hear... at least 5 other students credible version of the story, as well as the teachers, before I make any comment about giving you advice.

I'm not saying your version of the story is tainted...just saying that we can all view things from our own perspective at times.

I can say that yelling,and losing it....is not professional behavior ...and maybe the teacher needs to be made to realize that this form of discipline isn't effective, and only causes things to escalate, and develop into hard feelings.

Try not to let this issue over ride what you're really there for. Have fun and learn..and indeed stick up for what you feel is right, but also try and see the other perspective as well.

Is it really fair to call the students that sided with her..'teachers pets"?...maybe they honestly saw the whole thing from a different angle?

I wish you the best in resolving this situation , as well as success in your studies.
edit on 10-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I used to have this problem quite often in high school.

I was level headed, non disruptive, always did my work and for some reason I was always in crap for one thing or another. The school I went to had one of the worst reputations in the board, had the highest dropout rate and lowest test scores. Consequently it was the place teachers went for a job when no other school would hire them. There were a few good ones but the rest were the absolute worst teachers in the city.

Anyhow. I have never been able to understand teachers taking out their personal problems on the students. I understand they have a tough job and are underpaid but there were just some seriously bad teachers. I would get in crap constantly because my projects were a little off the wall, even though they were within guidelines. I would get in to arguementa with teachers all the time about fairness and whatnot. One thing I learned however is no matter how irrational a teacher can be you cannot question it. The VP will back them up 100% as well. The system is designed to make you a good soldier, not a question asker.

Mind you when I got to college I was astounded at the level of respect given by the professors. Your on a first name basis, they respect your ideas and opinions. They act like real people and treat you as such. I thought hell why isn't high school like that.

Personally I think they go about it the wrong way In high school. The sit down, shut up and do you work mentality doesn't do Jack to prepare anyone for the working world. And treating kids with a lack of respect creates individuals who feel they are not a part of the system.

If they taught high school like they did college dropout rates would go down, test scores would go up and teachers would have a hell of an easier time with the kids. The college system rewards people for their academics, you can keep track of your grades in real time, the teachers coach you on how to raise your GPA it's great.

Currently there is no incentive for people to remain in the high school system. Also learning using outdated practices arent helping. In the Canadian system literacy rates among graduates are dropping despite having 5 mandatory English classes. Math scores are low. There is simply too much academics that one doesn't need to k ow. Especially if you plan on going on into the trades.

Anyways it seems like you have just one year left till college. Hold on a little longer. It gets better from here. Your battles with the school system are pointless. That is unless you create a large movement to push for a reform of the entire system to meet the needs of modern day youth.

Either way
good luck

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Write down everything and submit it to the principle. Also get a few other students to submit written versions of what happened as well.

If you have a good principle it will get sorted out.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WillNiendick

better to learn sooner than later there are times when a woman isn't to be trifled with. seriously, sometimes people need to rant and rave. it was her turn.

many times in life when you see someone lose control and crank up the volume they aren't even angry at those they are venting at. they are just venting. do not take it personally. we do not know if this person has had three days or three weeks of hell in her life going on non-stop. her plate may be full. perhaps her cup runneth over.

she may have caught crap from students in other classes. she may have kids at home driving her bat-shiat crazy. she may be losing her home to foreclosure. she might be dealing with an illness we don't know about. maybe her husband is a jerk that cheats on her. maybe her mom is in the hospital and she's worried sick.

people can take just so much. everyone has their limits.

it's not always about me or you. we are all complex lil animals with many sides and many feelings. sometimes in life we have to let cooler heads prevail. don't feed a fire. i've learned i don't always have to put my two cents in, or shoot a wise-arse remark just because it popped into my head. sometimes we just have to let it go.

simple truth: school sucks. it's a slice of hell. put in your time and you'll be out of there soon.

i appreciate you feel you were wronged. that's understandable. i'm an old fart, and an old saying i was told, i learned to be very true:

"sometimes you get the bear. sometimes, the bear get you".

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

Anyhow. I have never been able to understand teachers taking out their personal problems on the students. I understand they have a tough job and are underpaid but there were just some seriously bad teachers. I would get in crap constantly because my projects were a little off the wall, even though they were within guidelines. I would get in to arguementa with teachers all the time about fairness and whatnot. One thing I learned however is no matter how irrational a teacher can be you cannot question it. The VP will back them up 100% as well. The system is designed to make you a good soldier, not a question asker.

I totally agree..there are some teachers out there..that should never be in that profession..and do more damage than good. I don't know where you went to school... but I think there are many schools who welcome the questioning of irrational behavior in their teachers..and try to deal with it in an effective manner...though I must say as a parent..there were a few occasions when I felt that I had to address the actions of a teacher, and I did not get much support from the principle.

I'm sorry you had to experience that in high school..and really happy to hear you had a good experience in college.. at least there was a happy ending for you..

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

Just got back from my workout, glad to see the responses!

Unfortunately, you guys are right. It is how life is, and questioning it only makes enough sense to ding halfway. But your feedback is appreciated. I plan on staying calm, and I know the principal pretty well. I have been there a few times, and were actually decent friends.

Hopefully I can get out of this class, hop into another credit line. I just hope that she doesn't grade me harder than the other students. I noticed spelling points being taken off one of my papers. I didn't think that was something you would do in a point of view class.

Either way, I am out of there second semester. I can make it until Christmas

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Somewhat happy ending. I am not in my career that I trained for but a good one none the less. The college experience was great but the corporate greed in the industry is immense. They take tour Money and make promises of an illustrious career in the trade you selected, only for you to find out everyone else took the same thing and cannot find a job. These institutions should be held more accountable for helping people make the most important choices of the lives. Alot of people have been taking for a ride by this.

In my opinion the whole school system needs to change. More geared towards eventual workforce and life management preparation and less about useless academic courses and political and religious persuasion.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

In my opinion the whole school system needs to change. More geared towards eventual workforce and life management preparation and less about useless academic courses and political and religious persuasion.

so true.... hopefully change will come about someday..somehow..

You sound like a very level headed person.. I could see you as being a great teacher... and implementing much needed change..

Whatever your future holds.. I wish you the best...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
When I went to school the students didn't get to make judgements that the instructor was "rude" the students talking were rude. Sorry your feelings were hurt -- cowboy up.

new topics

top topics

join