It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we really "Honoring" the victims of 911 ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This thread brings into question our Nation's symbolism over substance.

We have the symbolism down. Give the media ten more years. We won't recognize 911.

Ceremonies, speeches, new building dedications...All of that is great.

Now let's talk substance.

We now have the TSA. Complete with Airport Security.

We are basically on our second war in Afghanistan.

No telling how many dead in Iraq. Including many of our finest.

How many Iraqi's were connected to 911?

We have spent all our Country's treasure.

I just don't feel we are truly honoring these people.

Many people still feel like they do not know the truth about 911.

I would like to honor these Americans and their family's with some substance.

I'm sorry for the rant...I just don't feel like I'm honoring anyone.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Image over substance. This is how our society is now.
Pretty pretty actresses, handsome handsome actors.
Image over substance.

Innocent people died that day and innocent heros continue to die from the lingering aftermath. Our elected officials will take these sacrifices and turn them into emotional propaganda to serve the interests of this empire.

Leave the TV's off. Go to a Vet Hospital or care facility and bring fresh fruit to a crippled vet. Find an old folks home and bring in fresh flowers. Thank those who have sacrificed for your freedom and promise to come visit again, and then do it.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
National attention seems to be drawn towards selective victims of tragedy.
3000 people on 9/11.... how horrible!

What about the 1 million plus killed on purpose in Iraq since? Not something worth talking about or honoring I suppose.

What about the tragedy of losses due to alcohol PER YEAR...

Alcohol abuse kills some 75,000 Americans each year and shortens the lives of these people by an average of 30 years, a U.S. government study suggested Thursday.

msnbc article

Selective attention for specific global agendas. If the media focused their attention on all the horrific statistics of accidental deaths in the US per year, a lot of corporate profits would fall and people would start living longer and healthier lives.

If that's what they wanted to happen, it would be. I'm tired of the fear mongering about the foreign terrorists all the time when the domestic terrorists (those who inflict terror onto others) is far more closer to home and a greater threat to all of us.
edit on 10-9-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The US Government is actually dishonouring all the 9/11 victims by hiding the REAL truth and openly lying to the public.

So even if the people are honouring the victims, its a shame that many of them either don't know the REAL truth or don't want to know the truth.

edit on 10-9-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with mourning the dead, but this anniversary buzz feels more like jingoistic fear-mongering than an opportunity to reflect or honor anyone. What does "Never Forget," mean anyway? Are we supposed to reenact the tragedy each anniversary and weep anew? Why can't we heal, and forget? Why can't we move on? Oh, that's right, our political machine hasn't finished extracting every last bit of manipulative sympathy, rage, and fear from 9/11. So wave the flags, and be a "Patriot" on Patriots Day.

Whatever. I did my time in the Global War On Terror. Empty national gestures mean nothing to this soldier. You can have your memorials, I'll have mine.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Brown
I don't have a problem with mourning the dead, but this anniversary buzz feels more like jingoistic fear-mongering than an opportunity to reflect or honor anyone. What does "Never Forget," mean anyway? Are we supposed to reenact the tragedy each anniversary and weep anew? Why can't we heal, and forget? Why can't we move on? Oh, that's right, our political machine hasn't finished extracting every last bit of manipulative sympathy, rage, and fear from 9/11. So wave the flags, and be a "Patriot" on Patriot's Day

If the "Media" has it's way...

It will end up the second largest shopping day of the year.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone.

Would these victims want all our civil rights taken away?

Would they have wanted thousands dead?

Would they have rather had Universities built in their honor?

Because with all the money we have spent.

We could probably built a University for each and every victim.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I don't disagree with you. That's why I don't celebrate any national holidays, and I don't mean to disrespect or insult those who do. That stuff has simply outlived its usefulness for me. My primary identity is no longer American. I'm working on being an authentic person in the context of a country gone mad. I feel like my patriotism got me into trouble when 9/11 came along, and now that I've been down the rabbit-hole, peeked behind the curtain (two deployments), I can no longer swallow the myth of the Greatest Nation. I have been humbled by war. So now I'm just a man.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Brown
reply to post by whyamIhere

I don't disagree with you. That's why I don't celebrate any national holidays, and I don't mean to disrespect or insult those who do. That stuff has simply outlived its usefulness for me. My primary identity is no longer American. I'm working on being an authentic person in the context of a country gone mad. I feel like my patriotism got me into trouble when 9/11 came along, and now that I've been down the rabbit-hole, peeked behind the curtain (two deployments), I can no longer swallow the myth of the Greatest Nation. I have been humbled by war. So now I'm just a man.

Thank you for your service...

My comments are strictly about the government and the complicit MSM.

"A Country gone Mad" that's poignant.

new topics

top topics

join