It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PBS alters transcript to hide Obama gaffe

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Perfect example of MSM bias towards obama. Bush, Palin, or any Republican would have been ridiculed for making any kid of mistake, but obama gets his covered up, erased or whatever by his adoring fans (the MSM). In his speech, obama incorrectly identfies Lincoln as the founder of the Republican party.

This is also a perfect example of why PBS should not receive any taxpayer funding.

source

The New York Times transcript has the following quote:

"We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. Founder of the Republican Party. But in the middle of a civil war, he was also a leader who looked to the future -- a Republican President who mobilized government to build the Transcontinental Railroad -- (applause) -- launch the National Academy of Sciences, set up the first land grant colleges. (Applause.) And leaders of both parties have followed the example he set."

But how does it appear in the PBS transcript?

"We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. But in the middle of a Civil War, he was also a leader who looked to the future - a Republican president who mobilized government to build the transcontinental railroad; launch the National Academy of Sciences; and set up the first land grant colleges. And leaders of both parties have followed the example he set."

edit on 9/10/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Ummm...no...sorry.

Here is the PBS website:

www.pbs.org...

We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. Founder of the Republican Party. But in the middle of a civil war, he was also a leader who looked to the future -- a Republican President who mobilized government to build the Transcontinental Railroad

Here is the DISCLAIMER at the top of the page.

The original transcript provided on this page, as was noted, reflected the president's remarks as prepared for delivery and released by the White House. This transcript has been updated to reflect the remarks as delivered and released by the White House.

You do realize that the White House releases the speech transcript right...and you do know that at times people go off-script and insert comments...right?

So no...PBS did not ALTER the speech text...they simply had not updated to the speech as delivered...they still had the speech as prepared.

You try so hard...and fail so often.
edit on 10-9-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

You try so hard...and fail so often

Was that really necessary?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

So PBS got caught being political and then decided to do the right thing - for a change. Maybe they are worried about their funding.

At least I do try and post original articles.

Some like you just make their "living" here posting deflections, insults and cheap shots.

edit on Sat Sep 10 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Uhhh...ok, then how do you explain Fox News networks posting the same "bias, Poltical" editing????

Are they distorting the transcript in Pres. Obama's favor?

We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. But in the middle of a Civil War, he was also a leader who looked to the future -- a Republican president who mobilized government to build the transcontinental railroad; launch the National Academy of Sciences; and set up the first land grant colleges. And leaders of both parties have followed the example he set.

www.kptv.com...

FAIL...but too dishonest to admit it.

Looking out across all the right wing websites propagating this lie in hopes of defunding one of the last remaining news sources not owned by corporations I have to say it is unsuprising...lies and and frothing at the mouth eagerness to eliminate any news source that might recognize a lie.

edit on 10-9-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Sep 10 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
pbs the last honest news source
:hilarious

"corporate owned" as opposed to government owned pbs

nice deflection tactic mentioning fox news when the op was clearly about pbs.

i seem to remember juan williams getting fired......yeah pbs is honest!!!!

man i swear

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
prbly right about the transcript, but no need to get snarky about it.

remember, the best BS is PBS

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Actually you better reread the disclaimer you posted. you disproved everything you said.

The original transcript provided on this page, as was noted, reflected the president's remarks as prepared for delivery and released by the White House. This transcript has been updated to reflect the remarks as delivered and released by the White House.

Notice it says it has been updated to reflect the remarks as delivered. PBS just decided not to add all the remarks in apparently. So if your going to to make a point at least make sure your evidence doesnt contradict you .

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Maybe you should read the updated transcript genius....the supposed "edited remarks" are right there on the PBS website.

So, if you are going to make a point, at least make sure your evidence doesn't contradict you.
Oh, where have I heard that before???

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Maybe you should read the updated transcript genius....the supposed "edited remarks" are right there on the PBS website.

So, if you are going to make a point, at least make sure your evidence doesn't contradict you.
Oh, where have I heard that before???

I wasnt the one providing the evidence you were and apparently you dont read what you quote! I merely pointed out what you posted in your post contradicts what you stated. So genius if your going to post evidence to support your claim make sure it doesnt contradict what you say. Otherwise you may lose that genius status you think you have.

OH and by the way I did not post evidence I merely pointed out the inconsistencies in yours! Is English your first language apparently you have problems with comprehension or else i caught you a one of those not so genius moments and now you feel you must lash out. Either way May peace be upon you im outa here.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Respectfully,
What are you talking about?
OS's post does not only not contradict him, it exposes this thread for the lie that it is. I really do not think you actually read it. Maybe you can explain what I missed?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

You do realize you aren't pointing out any inconsistencies.

Your reading comprehension is apparently poor.

And you are making yourself look foolish.

Let me try to explain it to you slowly.

1. OP posts a article saying PBS intentionally edited out some of President Obama's remarks.
2. I go to look at the PBS website...the remarks in question are right there in the PBS transcript with a note saying that they PREVIOUSLY had the PREPARED speech posted (which didn't have the remarks in question) but they have now posted teh DELIVERED speech that DOES have the remarks in question.
3. I point this out showing that PBS didn't EDIT anything...they just had the PREPARED speech instead of the DELIVERED speech. So basically the source the OP used is now WRONG. In fact...the OPs source has now edited their article to clear up what the mix up was.

Did you follow that???

You want to apologize now???
edit on 10-9-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Maybe you should read the updated transcript genius....

As I mentioned previously, OS is the master of insults, deflections, and cheap shots instead of anything intellectual to add to a thread.

Here you see the insult. Maybe it is you OS that should be offering apologies.

Just because PBS wised up and fixed their deliberate editing of the obama transcript, doesn't excuse them for omitting the obama error in the first place. It just means wiser heads prevailed.

Heads rolled at PBS after the botched Juan Williams firing. Maybe this is one of the results.

One can only hope since all taxpayers - not just obamaphiles are helping support PBS with their tax dollars.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Just because PBS wised up and fixed their deliberate editing of the obama transcript, doesn't excuse them for omitting the obama error in the first place. It just means wiser heads prevailed.

OK what are you talking about?
Did you even read your own link or OS's post?
If you did not, you should.
If you did, the above is a flat out lie.

Which is it?

I thought this place was full of diligent researchers. All the evidence that you are wrong was provided by you.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

As I mentioned previously, OS is the master of insults, deflections, and cheap shots instead of anything intellectual to add to a thread.

Here you see the insult. Maybe it is you OS that should be offering apologies.

Heads rolled at PBS after the botched Juan Williams firing. Maybe this is one of the results.

One can only hope since all taxpayers - not just obamaphiles are helping support PBS with their tax dollars.

OKS may have been indelicate about it, but in this case, he was 100% right. as evidenced by:

www.theatlantic.com...
www.kptv.com... (FOX News affiliate)
www.kmph.com... (FOX News affiliate)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Let's keep our eye on the ball here. Obama says Lincoln was the Founder of the Republican Party!!!! Where are the wolves out there in the Left saying that he's just a dummy and doesn't know his history?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
Let's keep our eye on the ball here. Obama says Lincoln was the Founder of the Republican Party!!!! Where are the wolves out there in the Left saying that he's just a dummy and doesn't know his history?

Busy reading your actual OP and the ball is apparently PBS editing to cover for the man.

Perfect example of MSM bias towards obama. Bush, Palin, or any Republican would have been ridiculed for making any kid of mistake, but obama gets his covered up, erased or whatever by his adoring fans (the MSM). In his speech, obama incorrectly identfies Lincoln as the founder of the Republican party.

This is also a perfect example of why PBS should not receive any taxpayer funding.

If your thread was supposed to be about what he said and how it was wrong, you need to rewrite your OP. The entire thing is about PBS covering for him when they did not.

Nice attempt to change your own subject after you are shown how wrong you are though.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aihttik

Wasn't MY OP, and yes, the real truth behind all this is that the MSM is behind Obama and will cover up his gaffes if they can, while the Left pummels Sarah calling her dummy and saying she doesn't know her history. I have read enough commentary on that one Paul Revere quote to last a lifetime. At best, they have created enough confusion by putting out different versions of his statement. These people are adept at creating confusion.

edit: ahahahaha! PBS says one version was the prepared statement and the other is the actual!!! hahaha that means that whoever wrote that speech either did not know his history or they deliberately meant to mislead. Either way, someone didn't know their history.
edit on 10-9-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I normally enjoy reading constructive discussion and argument but everything in this thread is just high school antics.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

hmmmm re: TheAtlantic Maybe he really was listening to Rev Wright's sermons.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join