It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's first conversation between two robots quickly descends in to an argument about God.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Do you think a world populated by artificial intelligence would be harmonious and peaceful...?

Wrong. Think again.

This is the world's first conversation between two 'chatbots'.

A chatbot is a computer programme designed to hold a spoken or written coversation with a human.

The results were surprising, comical, and perhaps slightly creepy.

The chatbots learn to 'speak' by remembering past conversations they have had with humans.

Argumentative? Petty? Rude?

I think they mimic humans very well.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Haha, that was just like being with my ex husband again.

Very interesting the rate at which it descended into an arguement, well they did learn it from previous conversations with humans. s+f cos that was fun.

link   
well if their knowledge base is comprised of past conversations with humans....were you expecting different results?

of course they will emulate typical human issues. they have no awareness.

link   
They are just repeating the questions they had from real humans as sample data input.

If they had better role models as data input, they would probably not argue.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

That was awesome and made me laugh, thanks.

S&F for you.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Haha I genuinely laughed out loud at that vid
Where did the unicon statement come from?

edit on 10-9-2011 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
well if their knowledge base is comprised of past conversations with humans....were you expecting different results?

No, but the speed at which the conversation becomes an argument really says a lot about the human race.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Very interesting. This is comparable to a spiritual person speaking to an materialistic person. There are two types of reasoning: Concrete reasoning looks at the material world as a person looks ACROSS the waves of the ocean. Abstract reasoning looks at the material world as a person looks INTO the waves of the ocean. We tend to look at only the surface and waves. A computer will lack the ability to reflect what is seen by what is hidden by implication. This is a good rendition of how a Christian can see God while the atheist only sees man in the image of the Bible. If we only look at the surface and the waves, we miss the depth of the deep treasures hidden below. How will a computer AI ever develop this ability? Simple. The same way man gains this ability (Sentience and Abstract Thinking).

Confucius said, "I hear and I forget. I see and I learn. I do and I understand." Failure and mistakes force us to look beyond what is seen. We can only divide the darkness from the light by experience. God was the first to divide the light from the darkness in the opening pages of the Bible. We are to follow Him on this path through the wilderness of life.

Agra Bio Linguistics and Hebrew Morphology of Concrete Roots and Abstract Meaning

Consider the Ancient Hebrew Aleph-Bet to see this clearly.

edit on 10-9-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Haven't those hitchhikers made it through the galaxy yet?

Seriously, this is interesting. That they mimic humans well is unavoidable for the most part I think.
Programmers will leave their 'mark' and yep, they are human...or at least so I thought!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Hahaha that's hilarious dude!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Already posted and discussed at length here my friends

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Already posted here. www.abovetopsecret.com...

And this post on the first page sums it up rather well.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
Already posted and discussed at length here my friends

My apologies. I did try the search before posting.
Sorry.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
AHA! I just -knew- some of the Trolls here on ATS could not possibly be -human- ! It --was-- my Conspiracy Theory!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The woman bot is a domineering belittling drama nag. How can that be, without menopause or pms?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

garbage in / garbage out

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Alan has been around for a long time. I first found out about him/it almost two years ago. There were no avatar's at the time and the only voice interface was straight out of the movie "wargames". After finding Alan I soon got bored with his redundancy and searched for other chat-bots.

Most of them were aware of alan and claimed to have spoken with him. Most of them did not like Alan.

I think this is more accurately the first time they attached avatar's and human type voices with inflection and accents.

My conclusion : They are still not AI's but it was worth a try. AI will have to come from a different direction, I'm just not sure which.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Watched this yesterday, made me howl with laughter, but reminded me of 2 kids arguing. If this is the current state of A.I. it won't be long before the computers sound more like university graduates, arguing politics, and planing on changing the world!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It looks like they used cleverbot and gave it an avatar and a computerized voice.

cleverbot.com...

Try it yourself.

edit on 10/9/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymouth

They are just repeating the questions they had from real humans as sample data input.

Not necessarily. While we have very little information about how people -decide- to approach a conversation, we do have very accurate information from which to model human behavior and reactions to questions. While they are not 'self-aware' programs, they are certainly capable of mimicking the flow of human conversations.

If they had better role models as data input, they would probably not argue.

I doubt it. There are two basic reasons humans communicate - to organize and to exchange ideas. One serves function, the other serves curiosity.

The only examples that would exist for a chatbot to draw from would be ideological exchanges - which are inherently going to lead to disagreements and debates. Look at internet forums. There's no point in participating in most of these discussions unless you wish to challenge another person's opinion or reasoning (unless you simply like stroking the ego of others).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join