It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro Tips for ATS post responding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Hey
Well, talk about a redundant thread. The admins did a good job in having a very detailed documentation about all the neat features on ATS...and like all bulky instruction books, its generally ignored.

So, here are just some slightly more advanced and helpful tips on how to effectively post on this forum...hopefully others can add in things they use now and then.

making stuff

big

this is the headline tag.
you do this by typing
[ headline]
before the words you want big, then close it off with a
[ /headline]
after (remove the first space..I gotta do this so I can post it verses ATS seeing the tag

All tags need to be closed off, so lets take a fake command of [sarcasm]this important thing[/sarcasm]
Now, if "sarcasm" was an actual tag, ATS would make "this important thing" into a sarcasm whatever..

One thing I use alot is the ex tag

it makes a neat box. Good for quoting stuff from a different website, or simply addressing a point from elsewhere

and of course that is [ ex] [ /ex] (again, remove the space after the [

So, take for granted now that the [ ] and closing [ / ] will be on all tags. Here are some really good ones and an example underneath it

[ strike] [ /strike]
this is a strikeout
Good when you want to revise something but not erase it...example:
We have been on this earth for almost 7000 years Billions and billions of years!

[ b] [ /b]
Bold stuff
Good for drawing attention to certain words or sentences. Example:
We have been over this on 37 different threads and still not paying attention

[ quote] [ /quote]

You said this in a different thread, or somewhere else on ATS this is automatically generated when you click quote on someones thread

ok, so thats the major areas in regards to talking

Embedding is tricky...not really, but a lot of people have issues with it. youtube is the most used video embedding..just grab the stuff that is after the = sign and paste it on a
[ yvid]NumbersGoInHere&[ /yvid]
Notice the & symbol at the end of the "numbers". I don't know why, but if I don't include the & symbol at the end of the numbers, it doesn't embed..also, don't toss in the &feature=related..blah blah...just the actual video numbers (alphanumeric.) and a and symbol, toss them between the tags, and voila, your done

ok, going to ask our other ATS members to now comment on stuff they use a lot that they picked up over time...toss down a pro tip or two for others...hell, even a seasoned ATSer may learn a couple things...

edit on 10-9-2011 by SaturnFX because: derp

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Oh, wanted to add something I actually didn't discover until recently.
When you check your messages
tools>messages
You will see a neat Replys option next to your list of u2u's. click that, you will see a updated list of any responses from any thread you have where they hit the quote or reply button to...much easier than trying to manually seek out all the threads you ever posted on to see if anyone replied to your post.

Also, on the other side of the coin, when replying to someone..make sure to hit reply or quote to that person so they can check their own reply inbox and see you replied to them.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread. Very deserving of S&F. Good info here,I've deffinately learned things I did not know.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Good tips except that I never had to include the & at the end of a youtube imbed. Many number strings don't even have an &. Maybe it's true only for when one is present in the string?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Putting a title on your link looks cool too..

just use..

[ url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread751052/pg1]link[ /url]

with no spaces....

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Good to be made aware, for that I thank you....S&F

respects

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If this thread was a potato, it'd be a good potato.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Wow thanks I could never figure out how to embed videos. A star for clearing it up!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Thank you for taking the time ... to show some of us a few very helpful hints..

Sure beats mocking us, and making fun of us behind our backs for not knowing how.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Good tips except that I never had to include the & at the end of a youtube imbed. Many number strings don't even have an &. Maybe it's true only for when one is present in the string?

No clue, but for some reason, if I do not put the & in, it doesn't work, if I put one in the end, it works. So, ya..if you put the numbers in, and its showing nothing, edit and toss in the & at the end of the numbers and see if that kicks it in.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

SaturnFX bless your lil heart this OP/thread. i know i'm not the brightest bulb in the bathroom but i've found figuring out How-To on ATS a chore way beyond the other sites i go to.

I'm gonna go give you an star und flag now, and i wish i could give you a snack as well

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
'Pro' ?

If you're making money from posting on ATS then you may draw suspicion.

Anyway, it's not how one talks but what one has to say.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beyond Creation
'Pro' ?

If you're making money from posting on ATS then you may draw suspicion.

Anyway, it's not how one talks but what one has to say.

Why on earth would you want to criticize the OP for such a helpful thread which he/she composed to give some really great pointers to other members? Plus you come off as such a snob. Nothing at all suspicious here from SaturnFX but your motives I find highly suspect.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Question, and since you speak plain english I thought I would ask you instead of dig around the help section.

How do I post a screen shot? Let us say I saved it to MS Paint and I want to add it to my post.

Thank you for a really informative thread. S&F

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
There is a great thread on this HERE.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Where does one find the actual alphanumeric video numbers for you tube videos? Usually when you embed a youtube video all you have to do is click share or embed and cut and paste. Need help...and thank you sooo much for the little tutorial it is very useful

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I recall seeing someone using the boxes that open up with information inside, like spoiler boxes, anyone know how to use that one?

And also the difference between [atsimg ] Image url [/ atsimg] and [IMG ] Image url[/ IMG] is that the second one has a scrolling bar at the bottom!

As well the white ex text which is news i've seen looks much more nicer in asthetics. I've seen some 'Standard' ats posting with the link, headline and the exnews type of box with a reply on the bottom (Not sure where this started but it is really really standard and would love to know how it's done.)

Btw the ex news (white one) is [ exnews ] hurray

Very white, very nice !

edit on 10-9-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

That is one of the greatest threads I have seen. I hope that loam sees this comment and to you for linking us to it!

Timidgal

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Thanks for the info and very much welcome. A star and a flag raised in your honor.

The important message of my very first thread got lost because i made a shambles of imbedding pictures and videos! Most of the replies were aimed at my inability to present my case rather than the subject itself.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
Question, and since you speak plain english I thought I would ask you instead of dig around the help section.

How do I post a screen shot? Let us say I saved it to MS Paint and I want to add it to my post.

Thank you for a really informative thread. S&F

You gotta upload to the media sister website
click tools/pictures and it should pop up the media site...then sign in there, choose personal uploads, and its pretty self explanatory from there (big buttons upload pictures, etc). then copy the code it generates under the picture and post on the thread.
the instructions are actually more complex then actually doing it...give it a shot in here if you want

top topics

<<   2 >>

join