It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upsurge of media reporting on haxor groups?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Does anybody else notice the recent upsurge of "hacker groups" being reported on in the media? it seems every little hack is being reported on now.

Denial of service attacks are nothing new
piracy is nothing new
website defacement is certainly nothing new
shadowy groups with stupid names are also not new

the only thing that seems to be new, is that the media is giving all of these things attention now.

none of the hacks are really impressive. sure some of the high profile targets are...but the methods used are actually pretty tired...

it seemed that "back in the day" there use to be a consorted effort to not publicize "electronic criminals". the general idea was to not promote copycats, or give them any attention.

now not only are they giving them tons of attention, but it seems to be aimed at the younger crowd. and it doesnt seem to take nearly the amount of skill or effort as it did decades ago to get mentioned on a news blip.

Kevin mitnik never even received this much attention in the news and they made freakin' movies about him. so what gives? the last time anything hacking related received this much attention was the "i love you" virus.

is this some sort of psychological encouragement?

a reason to police the internets?

what say you?

anon - pcmag
anon - huffington post
lulzsec - foxnews
lulzsec/anon - guardian
nbc - 'script kiddies'
daily tech - lulsec - script kiddies
CNET - AntiSec
gizmodo - AntiSec

the list goes on and on and on and on

i feel like making a group called STFUSec

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Upsurge as in more than they did in May when arrests were made?

No, I watch Sky News a lot and this week has been dominated by Libya and the 9/11 memorial preparations with the "less important" news being about the Raoul Moat inquest, James Murdoch being called a liar when he said he hadn't been told anything about phone hacking and then the sport headlined by the rugby World Cup in New Zealand and how the country bounced back from the Christchurch EQ plus the rain being the big issue in the US Open.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by curious7

no i mean upsurge as in the last year or two compared to the last 10 years or so.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It was bound to happen as the internet became integrated into our everyday lifestyle. Seriously, many advertisements also include the facebook/twitter logos. Just a natural by product of the information age...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
reply to post by curious7

no i mean upsurge as in the last year or two compared to the last 10 years or so.

Ahh, well in that case yes because the internet and computers have become more prominent in people's everyday lives and as such, hacking would eventually be exposed as technology moves into the realm of the mainstream being able to understand such news reports.

Sort of like when cars were initially invented and driven, hardly anything spoken about them but as time went on, there were more reports of cars.

top topics

join