It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do my in-laws buy my kids crappy bonds and then complain about gov't spending?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Yeah, this one really fries me. My loving, awesome wife has parents (and grandparents) who constantly complain about government wasting money, then, they buy my kids crappy ass savings bonds that will be worth the money they spent on them when they come to maturity due to inflation.
Why do they do this?!? If they have such a beef with the way their money is spent, why loan the government more?
That's my rant for the day. Thank you for your time.

The ever loving owlbear

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear
Yeah, this one really fries me. My loving, awesome wife has parents (and grandparents) who constantly complain about government wasting money, then, they buy my kids crappy ass savings bonds that will be worth the money they spent on them when they come to maturity due to inflation.
Why do they do this?!? If they have such a beef with the way their money is spent, why loan the government more?
That's my rant for the day. Thank you for your time.

The ever loving owlbear

"Looking a gift horse in the mouth" are we?
I cannot believe your gall with this complaint.
A symptom of a spoiled American.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

The obvious answer is they are brainwashed by the system to buy them, of course.

With false promises that they will increase in value 10-fold by the time they are needed, or sumesuch. Only they do not mention either inflation or the end of the world/dollar happening before that, of course.

The perfect crime. Except nothing is a crime if those guys do it.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
At least they are giving something to your kids.
And whatever they are worth, they ensure the CHILDREN GET the money

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

By giving savings bonds vs Cash, it makes it slightly more difficult to spend/liquidate on worthless junk instead of saving it. Something that many of us including the Govt. have forgotten.

So It's moreso an education to their grandchildren in the value of savings and the compounding of interest rather than an investment per se.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

By giving savings bonds vs Cash, it makes it slightly more difficult to spend/liquidate on worthless junk instead of saving it. Something that many of us including the Govt. have forgotten.

So It's moreso an education to their grandchildren in the value of savings and the compounding of interest rather than an investment per se.

eh, not so much. i was given a few hundred dollars worth of bonds by my grandmother when i was a kid. they sat in a file my parents had. out of site, out of mind. eventually i cashed them in my late teens and blew them on junk.

as far as it went for me, there was no lesson of savings or how not to blow a small windfall. ill assume i am typical in this situation.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
People with no imagination and more concern for what they want in life will often give financial gifts instead of something that takes time and consideration to choose.

Maybe making a suggestion for future gifts would be a good idea.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Hey owlbear

Have you considered talking to them? Maybe you could suggest a high-interest savings account so that the money actually builds over time.

Peace
edit on 10-9-2011 by MissConstrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Maybe you would do better to focus on their intentions, which appear to me to be love,care & providing what they can for your children.
They may not have the knowledge to invest confidently in other avenues.
If you really feel that strongly, do your homework, get all the information to present to them in what you think is the better investment.
I'm sure if it is reasonable & presented so to them, they would instigate the change. Everyone wants the best return possible,.Often the older generation just feel safer & more secure with what they know.
Oh, & for what its worth, I think that all children should be so lucky to have your kids grandparents.

top topics

join