It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence of the Rapture in the Old Testament?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
So, I figured it was time I finally created my own thread, and this is a topic that has really been on my mind lately. I've been reading through the Psalms and Isaiah, and finding all kinds of prophetic references to the Rapture and to the 2nd coming, which is just... amazing.

What I'd like to do is gather together a collection of verses referring to the Rapture, but ONLY those from the Old Testament (yes, I know there are many in the NT, but that's another topic for another thread). So, if you know of or have stumbled across verses in the OT that you think may refer to the rapture, hit it.

If you don't believe in the Rapture, or don't believe in Christ, please do save that argument for another thread!

...to start us off, Isaiah 26:

19 But your dead will live, LORD;
their bodies will rise—
let those who dwell in the dust
wake up and shout for joy—
your dew is like the dew of the morning;
the earth will give birth to her dead.

20 Go, my people, enter your rooms
and shut the doors behind you;
hide yourselves for a little while
until his wrath has passed by.
21 See, the LORD is coming out of his dwelling
to punish the people of the earth for their sins.
The earth will disclose the blood shed on it;
the earth will conceal its slain no longer.
edit on 10-9-2011 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

The verse you quote in Isaiah is a good one. I have always found the world 'rise' to be interesting. It is typically used in the sense of rising up against an enemy. It is also used when referring to God rising up against someone. The third sense is when God refers to the wicked being unable to rise and the righteous being raised up to new life. In my own thinking, I compare this to Jesus words, "You must be born again." In my opinion, he is saying that we have no choice but to rise and be born again. This gives significance to verses such as these:

Proverbs 24:16
for though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again, but the wicked stumble when calamity strikes.

Isaiah 14:9
The realm of the dead below is all astir to meet you at your coming; it rouses the spirits of the departed to greet you— all those who were leaders in the world; it makes them rise from their thrones— all those who were kings over the nations.

Isaiah 14:21
Prepare a place to slaughter his children for the sins of their ancestors; they are not to rise to inherit the land and cover the earth with their cities.

Isaiah 14:22
“I will rise up against them,” declares the LORD Almighty. “I will wipe out Babylon’s name and survivors, her offspring and descendants,” declares the LORD.

Isaiah 26:19
But your dead will live, LORD; their bodies will rise— let those who dwell in the dust wake up and shout for joy— your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead.

Isaiah 28:21
The LORD will rise up as he did at Mount Perazim, he will rouse himself as in the Valley of Gibeon— to do his work, his strange work, and perform his task, his alien task.

Isaiah 24:20
The earth reels like a drunkard, it sways like a hut in the wind; so heavy upon it is the guilt of its rebellion that it falls—never to rise again.

Isaiah 43:17
who drew out the chariots and horses, the army and reinforcements together, and they lay there, never to rise again, extinguished, snuffed out like a wick:

Isaiah 58:10
and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.

Isaiah 60:1
[ The Glory of Zion ] “Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you.

Daniel 12:13
“As for you, go your way till the end. You will rest, and then at the end of the days you will rise to receive your allotted inheritance.”

Malachi 4:2
But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its rays. And you will go out and frolic like well-fed calves.

When we look at the Ancient Hebrew Pictographs, the word RISE, it relates to the raising of a grain stalk in the sense of establishing or continuing. It also relates to a rise in height or stature. It also makes the word place, as in the place one rises. It makes the world substance, as in a place something stand in.

The adopted root word for rise is snatch. When we move over to this word in the lexicon, it reveals this: It defines this as a snatching away of something at the harvest before winter comes. The word winter is also an adopted root in Hebrew morphology for the word rise.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Here are a few others:

1 Samuel 2:8
He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes and has them inherit a throne of honor. “For the foundations of the earth are the LORD’s; on them he has set the world.

Psalm 22:29
All the rich of the earth will feast and worship; all who go down to the dust will kneel before him— those who cannot keep themselves alive.

Daniel 12:2
Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

1 Corinthians 15:47
The first man was of the dust of the earth; the second man is of heaven.

Compare this last verse to Jesus words in John 3 where He says that a person must be born again. He gives two methods: Water and spirit. The water, from my perspective, is the baptism in the material world. Being born into the spirit is the rebirth when we gain union with the spirit of God. This is atonement, or At One Ment. When our soul and God's spirit become one in love, we gain union with the spirit and our tree above bears fruit in the next realm. We rise to new life in heaven. This makes the earth a womb and our bodies a placenta. This is a crude analogy, but it gives us a way of thinking about the union that takes place after the sperm and the egg. Love is always the basis for union. Those who do not love God will not gain union, but return to the water. A final judgment implies other judgments. Hebrews 9:27-28 tells us that we are judged as a person and wait for our salvation. Where do we wait? Who waits? What becomes of the soul who never gains union until the final judgment?

Luke 10 is the key to understanding how to rise to spirit. We must love God and love others. Others are also our enemies, as in the good Samaritan and the Jew. They were enemies, yet the Samaritan stopped and assisted his enemy in love. 1 Corinthians 13 defines this agape style love that we must engage for union with the spirit of God in the material world. Faith, Hope and Love, but the greatest of these is love.

edit on 10-9-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The Bible is a logistical failure. If God were going to make the rapture happen or Off Satan..Whats stopping it from happening now? Would killing Satan not be like the flick of the wrist for him? Why the grand play out of events like this?

There is no hell..For if there were that would be "Gods Plan" for you this whole time. Everything is "Gods Plan" after all right? This is what Christians and most every devout religious person says. So how can Satan have a plan too? How can these two forces co exist if the other is the superior by default? How is Satan any sort of threat or we any sort of swaying away population if we are using the "free will" given to us by 'God". If I had some punk running around my universe trying to sway my peoples public opinion about me one way or the other or even worse turning them dark, dumb, and stupid..Best believe I would be take care of that "entity" with just a thought.

Its all very confusing to me and these versus do not help. I have zero clue why any loving creator would want to see you burn for eternity. I mean my parents certainly would not wish to see that...Mom or Dad..do yours? I mean seriously who wishes these kinds of things because your "Rules" were broken? I mean really..forever?

From a philosophical stand point its hard for me to accept a lot of these things in the Bible as they are taught to me.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Old77

hi Old 77,

i was thinking... about what U said...

quote:

The Bible is a logistical failure.

hello? it is the most investigated ancient document we have,
and it is proven, that almost without fail the historical events that it describes,
are accurate portrayals of those events...proven from independent sources.

eg: kings and pharoahs of Egypt and Persia etc etc...
( and just so many LITTLE details, that it would have been impossible to know about without being there, that have only just been proven by independent finds...not written in during past "revisions")

In fact the DEAD SEA SCROLLS are a great example of the fact that the scriptures as we know them,
are almost exact word for word copies of what they were reading/writing 2,000 years ago...
look it up...!

the BIBLE also portrays failures and sins of famous "holy" people...

most fraudulent (revisionist) history glosses over failures of "idols and heros"...

anyway...
u said:

. If God were going to make the rapture happen or Off Satan..Whats stopping it from happening now?

GODs timetable in unknowable...

really, if i were GOD i would of wiped out humans ages ago, and watched the EARTH flousish without us...

but GOD has reasons for everything, and also does not know EVERY event in advance, but DOES know the end from the beginning...

finally, U also said...

There is no hell.... I have zero clue why any loving creator would want to see you burn for eternity.

U are absolutely right...

there are no claims in the BIBLE for HELL or eternal burning...

there is reference to the "lake of fire", but in the context of something to pass thru...

thats all...

IMHO...GOD has given us the possibility to aspire to be like JESUS and LOVE...

or

NOT...

thats all....

seeya

edit on 10/9/2011 by shaneR because: grammer

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

hi Superior Ed...
good work....

i did find another one i like...

ZEPHANIAH... CHAPTER 1

1: 7 be silent before the GREAT LORD...
for the day of the LORD is at hand...
the LORD has prepared a sacrifice and consecrated his guests....

etc etc

1:14 the great day of the LORD is near....

1:17 i will bring distress on men...
......because they have sinned....

chaptr 2: 1 ... come together.... before the day of the LORD....

etc etc

interesting how so many writers, in different places and different times,
all foresaw the same things...

my personal fav is NT, sorry//

MATTHEW chapter 24...all of it...

eg:

Matt: 24; 3....tell us LORD when will these things take place, and what are the signs of its coming...?

wars, pestilence, earthquakes etc etc...( and men will become lovers of themselves...)

Matt: 24: 13...but he who endures to the end will be saved...
and this GOSPEL shall be preached thru out the nations, and THEN THE END WILL COME...

seeya...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneR

Those are amazing. After contributing to this thread, I decided to do a thread I have been wanting to do for since I get my Hebrew Lexicon. See what you think. Agra Bio Linguistics

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Old77
The Bible is a logistical failure. If God were going to make the rapture happen or Off Satan..Whats stopping it from happening now? Would killing Satan not be like the flick of the wrist for him? Why the grand play out of events like this?

While I was pretty explicit about what this thread was, and was not, intended to be, you've actually raised some really important questions that I think deserve answers.

Regarding the Bible being a "logistical failure", I think you've already been answered on that point. But from what you've said, it sounds more like you're trying to argue that God Himself is a logistical failure. So, to address that point... what's stopping the rapture from happening now is one thing alone; God's mercy. God the Father stated that the time between Christ's sacrifice, and His return, was allowed for a single reason: that as many as possible might come to see, and believe, that Jesus Christ is Lord. Put it this way. If the world ended today, I think it would be fair to say that based on your comments here, you would not be right with God, and would be destined for hell. Would you say that's a fair statement (making the assumption that the Biblical worldview is correct, of course)? If the answer to that question is "Yes, if the Biblical worldview is correct and the world ended tomorrow, I would go to hell", the the answer to your question, "What is God waiting for", is quite simply put...

you.
This is your chance, this is your time, this is the expression of God's patience with you. He wants to provide you with ample opportunity to see and understand that history as we know it is all about one thing: God's plan to redeem you from your own inability to repair the seperation created by sin, which keeps you from Him; that is, Jesus Christ and His sacrifice for you.

Killing Satan and ending the 'play' here wouldn't solve the problem. The problem with this world, with mankind, is greater than that now. The problem is sin. God dealt with that problem through the death of His Son, but has allowed this time for as many as possible to turn and believe, accept the offering of Jesus Christ, and avoid God's righteous demand that "the soul that sins shall die".

in the next post I'll deal with some further questions. I hope the mods don't mind double posts, but for ease of reading I think it's best that I break this up.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

There is no hell..For if there were that would be "Gods Plan" for you this whole time. Everything is "Gods Plan" after all right? This is what Christians and most every devout religious person says. So how can Satan have a plan too? How can these two forces co exist if the other is the superior by default? How is Satan any sort of threat or we any sort of swaying away population if we are using the "free will" given to us by 'God". If I had some punk running around my universe trying to sway my peoples public opinion about me one way or the other or even worse turning them dark, dumb, and stupid..Best believe I would be take care of that "entity" with just a thought.

God's plan isn't hell. God's plan is the process, plan and act of redeeming mankind from our own sinfulness, so that He doesn't have to judge us according to what we deserve (which is death, "for the wages of sin is death"), but instead, He can judge us according to Christ. This cost God Himself more than we could possibly ever imagine. So the important thing to note here is that hell isn't "the plan", but a logical byproduct of God's purity and holiness. Because God is pure, because He is holy, because He is without sin, he MUST punish sin. To not do so would be unjust. But in His goodness, He provided the way for us all to circumvent that issue... dealing with sin and death once and for all through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Regarding the second part of your comment here... what you fail to take into consideration is that God is providing this same opportunity, this same mercy, even to "dark, dumb... stupid" people; that they might hear and know that God loves them; that God understands that they cannot save themselves, and that God alone has done something to change that. This is the heart of the gospel.

Its all very confusing to me and these versus do not help. I have zero clue why any loving creator would want to see you burn for eternity. I mean my parents certainly would not wish to see that...Mom or Dad..do yours? I mean seriously who wishes these kinds of things because your "Rules" were broken? I mean really..forever?

These verses aren't intended to help - they're not really the kind of thing that I'd be going out of my way to discuss with non-believers. They're important for those of us who do believe, but if you don't believe, what you need to be hearing is the redemptive plan of Christ... not the doctrine of the rapture.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that God wants to see anyone burn for eternity. After all, the Bible says that God is "not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to redemption". Going to hell isn't so much a punishment for breaking the rules, as it is the fact that a sinless God cannot have a sinful being in His presence. If you then retort "well, can't God just sort that out?", the answer to that question is: He can, and He did. But just as the decision to not follow God is made freely, so must the decision to allow Christ's sacrifice to define your relationship with God be made freely.

I hope some of that makes sense to you. It's not an easy topic, but you've asked all the right questions, and that's a great start. Never be afraid to ask those questions. After all, if He didn't have all the answers, He wouldn't be God, would He

new topics

top topics

join