It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the school call the police when two 15 y/o's get into a fight in the hall?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
My BFF’s daughter is 15 and in 10th grade. She goes to a ½ day of regular school and ½ day to a tech school where kids from 15 local high schools go. Today, she got into a fist fight in the hall. Both girls got in a few punches before it was broken up. The school called the police.

I don’t understand this. I could see if it was a “beating”, or either of their second offence, but it wasn’t. Why bring the cops into it? Now both girls and their parents have to go to court, and possibly get a fine.

Why Can’t the school handle it, or at least try to handle the problem before throwing these kids under the bus????

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

When kids started shooting up school with automatic weapons and someone flew planes in the world trade center and terrorism became a big deal, the schools and airports beefed up their security and more than likely will not tolerate any behavior. Maybe one of the girls threatened to kill the other. Never know, but it's best if kids avoid getting into fights.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Both girls got in a few punches before it was broken up. The school called the police.

The school called the police AFTER the fight was broken up and ended. I think the answer to your question is self-evident. What more will be accomplished here?

Jail time? Tasers? Do they really need more then what they already learned, more then what a "teacher" could teach them about it??....

*oh edit to add, I was agreeing with you

edit on 10-9-2011 by underspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Why not? I'm willing to bet they were fighting over something ridiculous, like some boy they both liked or one of them being jealous of the other's clothes.
Kids need to learn to be beyond such things. Having the police come get them would be an effective way to get across the fact that they're acting stupid. If they're allowed to do this behavior, they'll only continue it.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I couldn't agree more. They called it discretion when I was going to school and I believe the police would have had a serious chat with whoever called them for wasting their time, never having bothered talking to a couple kids who had a minor fist fight. Times sure have changed haven't they?

Everything has to be taken to extremes.... Whatever lesson the kids actually learn from these things, I'll bet it isn't the one the school officials had in mind.

In fact I recall having been a part of a couple rather serious fights where suspensions occurred but that was the end of it. I guess I'd have a real criminal record on a few things like that by today's standards. sheesh.
edit on 10-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

When kids started shooting up school with automatic weapons and someone flew planes in the world trade center and terrorism became a big deal, the schools and airports beefed up their security and more than likely will not tolerate any behavior.

Oh my. Insinuating the 'behavior' of two kids getting into a fist fight to those scenarios... wow. So some bad people do bad acts and now the youth of future generations is tarnished and they can't do what kids have always done without being compared to terrorists and murderers. Lovely.

Maybe one of the girls threatened to kill the other. Never know, but it's best if kids avoid getting into fights.

maybe one of the girls was piloting one of those planes!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
Having the police come get them would be an effective way to get across the fact that they're acting stupid. If they're allowed to do this behavior, they'll only continue it.

Sooo... the entire school staff.. encompassing teachers of all subjects, nurses, counselors, the principal, the damn janitor.... none of them could have gave them the ol 'violence isn't the answer' speech??..

I swear...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
schools where I am from have one or two cops that are assigned to the school to deal with drugs/fights etc. they usually are around the school 2 or 3 times a week. i would say its pretty standard. high school is where you learn to be an adult so why not proceed like the real world.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Doesn't seem very fair to me in all honesty, school yard scraps are a normal part n parcel of growing up.

Yeah, if either of the pair was seriously injured then I could understand, but if that's not the case then I'm honestly not sure, maybe it's a new policy?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
School is as good a place as any to teach consequences.

You can't go around punching people in life.

Factoring the litigious nature of today's society and the fact that if one came back the next day with a weapon they would be called negligent, the school had no other options.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I had been in school fights at about that age, now I'm practically a peace loving hippy. Guess what? Nobody had to sit me down and council me, and I didn't need some guy that enforces laws through violence to tell me that violence is wrong. Getting punched is a good enough lesson in itself.
edit on 10-9-2011 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
You can't go around punching people in life.

There is plenty of Government sanctioned and civilian jobs where that is expected and paid for

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by underspace

Having the police come get them would be an effective way to get across the fact that they're acting stupid. If they're allowed to do this behavior, they'll only continue it.

Sooo... the entire school staff.. encompassing teachers of all subjects, nurses, counselors, the principal, the damn janitor.... none of them could have gave them the ol 'violence isn't the answer' speech??..

I swear...

You honestly think teenagers are going to stop fighting with each other just because a school authority figure told them it's the wrong thing to do? If they're physically fighting one another in the hallways, they've already shown that they care more for their juvenile emotions and feelings than for the rules everyone is supposed to abide by.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

You honestly think teenagers are going to stop fighting with each other just because a school authority figure told them it's the wrong thing to do? If they're physically fighting one another in the hallways, they've already shown that they care more for their juvenile emotions and feelings than for the rules everyone is supposed to abide by.

Come off it, kid's fight, it's not the end of the world...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I really don't think giving the kids a criminal record is the answer, to be sure. The OP said the parents and kids have to go to court, so that means a record. Over..what again? A fist fight? I guess things really have gotten that absurd. Which is worse though? That this is happening over such a small incident or that people readily agree with the logic of Police response to a teenage disagreement gone a bit far and ending with no real harm done? oh well... The schools have apparently given up on even basic discipline on the small things.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This is standard response in the area where I live. When we registered my daughter in middle school after getting a new house, the principal of the school was going over the rules with my daughter and I when he got to this particular gem. I asked if he didn't think that the teachers and administration wouldn't be better suited to deal with this behavior, at least the first or second time. His response to me was that it has something to do with liability.....if one of the students were to go home and get a gun for instance.

I called bs then and still feel the same. Just another case of no one wanting to take responsibility or make a decision. If someone called the police every time I got in a fight when I was younger I would have been in jail before I finished the 8th grade.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

You honestly think teenagers are going to stop fighting with each other just because a school authority figure told them it's the wrong thing to do?

Appeal to authority. At that age an authority figure is an authority figure. I honestly think if a teacher can't teach it then neither can that cop! Why do you think a cop would be more effective then?

Look at the above post by Phantom. Says he got in fights, never had that cop intervention. I myself got in many school fights! I didn't really get any pep talk... was just a part of growing up. I am not a violent person. Don't have a record.

If they're physically fighting one another in the hallways, they've already shown that they care more for their juvenile emotions and feelings than for the rules everyone is supposed to abide by.

Jesus man. What happened to innocent until proven guilty. You make it sound like because they swung punches they are on the inevitable path of crime Christ. What they showed is that they are humans, and kids.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

"Having the police come get them would be an effective way to get across the fact that they're acting stupid" As oppose to the excellent behaviour shown by various police officers(and i use the term loosely) over recent times that have beaten mentally ill people to death, tased deaf people and the list goes on, i think that your nick says it all really.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by brommas
reply to post by trollz

"Having the police come get them would be an effective way to get across the fact that they're acting stupid" As oppose to the excellent behaviour shown by various police officers(and i use the term loosely) over recent times that have beaten mentally ill people to death, tased deaf people and the list goes on, i think that your nick says it all really.

I'm trying to make the point that the police intervention would prove to them that it's unacceptable. They may not care about a teacher reprimanding them with detention or suspension, but they'll care when they realize they could be sent away for the things they're doing. And to everyone who's bringing up the record thing, they don't need to have a record. I went to court myself and I have no criminal record.
And to be honest, I could care less if the police tazed or beat some high school kids.

Also, I just felt like clarifying about my username so as not to give the wrong impression: When I made this account I was listening to a band who's lyrics were focused heavily on folklore and trolls. I liked the imagery of an army of monsters coming forth from the deepest darkest depths of the forest to wreak havoc and terror on humanity.
It has nothing to do with "trolling".

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Calling the police is going way to far. All they are doing is turning everyone into rats and weaklings.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join