It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think gravity is?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
to me gravity is but an area where density is of essence; just like emersion of an object in a water mass. Good Night.
edit on 10-9-2011 by MichelJCardin because: (no reason given)
I meant that in the air to me is indifferent than water or any other dispersing element.
If you can eventually create ozone; put it in the largest baloon that you can come up to build and let it rise to where it needs to go and then remotelly collapse it.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MichelJCardin

Since you are asking what I think it is. I think it is a pressure created by the gasses being held on Earth created by the pressure of the vacuum we fly around in. The pressure of the vacuum basically compresses everything to a center point. Then electromagnetism creates forces which balance things out.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I think gravity is the Devil and any means to understand it and experiment with it is Devil worship!!!

How else can you explain it killing thousands of people a year...
falling off buildings, ledges... etc...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

That is why god built parrashutes.LOL And hand gliders

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Gravity is caused by mass bending the fabric of space time around it. Every atom in your body does this. This was recently proven by a NASA program. Please check the link.

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
Gravity is caused by mass bending the fabric of space time around it. Every atom in your body does this. This was recently proven by a NASA program. Please check the link.

www.universetoday.com...
I'm not so sure it's that simple. We know objects with large mass can bend space but I'm not sure that fully explains gravity. According to particle physics there is an unconfirmed particle called a "graviton" which creates a force between objects. The truth is science can't yet properly explain gravity. I personally think gravity may be the result of the underlying interconnection of all things in the universe.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
A way created by aliens to keep humans stuck to the ground and prevent easy space travel.

On a more serious note, It is depressions in spacetime created by mass.

On further note maybe there is no mass and just distortions of spacetime appearing as mass and its effect as gravity. String theory rocks.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Gravity is the attraction of bodies to be closer to one another. Thats my sexy answer,
at least.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
gravity is understood loosely by most people. The current theorys are not incorrect, but lack the correct mechanism.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

haha!!!
I loved your response!!

That is why god built

I'm always going around using those 5 words, followed by some off the wall invention lol
great minds think alike! Have a Star and a Flag friend!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric

haha!!!
I loved your response!!

That is why god built

I'm always going around using those 5 words, followed by some off the wall invention lol
great minds think alike! Have a Star and a Flag friend!

ive been doing that fo 30 years now... but i say .. "thats why jesus invented..."

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

www.universetoday.com...
I'm not so sure it's that simple. We know objects with large mass can bend space but I'm not sure that fully explains gravity. According to particle physics there is an unconfirmed particle called a "graviton" which creates a force between objects. The truth is science can't yet properly explain gravity. I personally think gravity may be the result of the underlying interconnection of all things in the universe.

That's a good post.

It is either something or it is nothing. If it is there, it is something.

Anyone who actually figures it out, makes it sensible to the common person and can prove their point of view most accurate is in for either a huge payoff or a huge ripoff. Either way.

You are right that we do not know exactly what gravity is yet. We observe the effects. But we have not pinned it down precisely just yet.

Perhaps some new types of scope instrument needs to be devised with the intention of searching for this particular culprit. Maybe it already exists, if I were to name the item I would call it a graviscope or something like that. It would probably be a form of extremely powerful microscope with highly sensitive sensors.

I am just trying to think ahead a bit into what the future may hold if we keep thinking about topics like gravity and continue investigating them. I wonder what they/we will find out tomorrow or next week?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
NVM, video link won't work!
edit on 10-9-2011 by buskey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichelJCardin
If you can eventually create ozone; put it in the largest baloon that you can come up to build and let it rise to where it needs to go and then remotelly collapse it.

You are on the right track and I like what you are trying to do it's what we need to do (fix the ozone depletion issues we created through chemical pollution in the high atmosphere).

But there are problems we are having to face which are rather daunting at the moment technologically.

First of all, it will take longer than 15 minutes for the balloon to reach this high of an altitude (roughly 30k to 160k foot altitude) - and 15 minutes is how long ozone lasts when we create it through our industrial methods. It's highly unstable and will decay into O2 by the time the balloon reaches the necessary altitude to put it back up there.

I don't know the solution yet either, but I am glad you are thinking about it.

Perhaps there is some way to create a 'mini-factory' and attach many balloons to it, and have robots create the ozone while in flight 120,000+ feet in altitude. They could release it as they create it, and thus, it would be in the right place before it decays and it will hopefully "stick" or cause some sort of noticeable effects over time.

We won't know until we try at least. And since no one else is bothering to fix the problem you might as well give it a shot. I really don't see how we could make the problem worse, even if we fail all we do is not fix the major problem we already face. Screwed anyways.

Ozone (Trioxygen) wiki

Ozone Layer wiki

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Personally, I think gravity on this planet can be explained by the statement "The Earth sucks."
Second.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I'm no scientist however. I think that gravity is an aspect of relativity. Gravity is relative to objects according to size. weight, composition, etc, however, certain objects are able to cheat gravity such as feathers and paper. Still most objects fall at the same rate because of their respective composition(s). Gravity is a form of attraction, plain and simple; the same as Magnetism is a form of attraction in its simplest form.. Maybe the Sun's heat (fueled by a magnetism engine) is what drives the gravitational force on objects; this would explain why the Gravitational force is independent of any particular mass and why it causes objects to usually fall at the same rate.

I may be wrong in my statement(s), as I said, I'm no scientist.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
everything is magnetism.

specially gravity.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I think of gravity as the opposite of the Big Bang... (coming together vs. pushing apart)

When all matter finally rejoins again through gravity, there will be another Big Bang - and then more gravity again.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

www.universetoday.com...

It really is that simple. Everything that has mass even on the smallest scale warps space (and time). From our perspective, the warping of space is not visible with the naked eye. Or is it? We can see gravity lensing with telescopes in outer space. Gravity only affects things that have mass, how can it lens the light?

The answer is simple, the light is traveling in a straight line through warped space that has been warped by massive bodies. This affect happens even on the smallest scale but since it is so weak we can only observe it at the largest cumulative scale.

Even stranger is the fact that moving through space at increasing velocities also increases your mass. This is natures way of keeping c constant. The faster you approach c the heavier you get and the slower time moves. So not only does mass have the ability to warp space but also have the ability to warp time as if they were interconnected. This is why Einstein referred to space and time as space-time. The particles that go around the LHC approach the speed of light but never get there. As they put more energy into the particles they actually get heavier and I suspect if the particles had a built in clock time would appear to slow as well if checked by an outside observer. Pretty cool stuff.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

Indeed, ...... gravity is not a force at all.

all mass in the universe bends space, ... the bigger the object, ... the more space it bends.

i think it was Einstein.... who used to demonstrate this by placing a metal ball, ... on top of a rubber sheet, ..... the ball sinks in and bends the sheet around it, .....

Gravity is simply the effect of matter " falling in" this bent space.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join