It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those who live in Vancouver island or near there, do you see lights?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a friend of mine is reporting seeing earthquake lights from northern B.C, anyone can confirm this?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by HazyChestNutz

I'm in Seattle, I know a little further south but no lights. Felt the earthquake though...I thought it was road construction until I saw the story.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
My Aunt in law in northern BC, maybe alberta, said that the Northern Lights are really bright tonight.. Could be it??

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Weeeden

Omg yessss, let me send you the picture my friend has just sent me. he said he has never seen them become so bright.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I'm in Bellingham, Washington and we're able to see Auroras here if you get away from the city lights. Only the second time I've ever had the chance to see them this far south! Is this from the solar flare that was recently released?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Lorienth

GEOMAGNETIC STORM: A geomagnetic storm is in progress following the impact of a CME around 1130 UT on Sept. 9th. This could be the first of several hits from a series of CMEs expected to reach Earth during the weekend. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras after nightfall.
spaceweather.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by robyn
reply to post by Lorienth

GEOMAGNETIC STORM: A geomagnetic storm is in progress following the impact of a CME around 1130 UT on Sept. 9th. This could be the first of several hits from a series of CMEs expected to reach Earth during the weekend. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras after nightfall.
spaceweather.com...

So it's not supposed to be hitting until like 3:30am Pacific Time? Hmm...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Dude, I live in Campbell River, B.C and I seen them over Quadra Island. Not only that I have seen quite a few shooting stars.

Today has been MESSED right up.

Start the day off with an earthquake, now ending it with a light show!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Amazingly clear night here in Maple Ridge, nothing abnormal in the sky aside from a really, really bright white star out to the E-NE.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by HazyChestNutz

For those who aren't familiar with them ....these are earthquake lights

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I have to ask... why do people put so much stock in these "earthquake lights"?

I do realize that there are reports of these lights prior to some large quakes, however there are also reports of these same lights and there was no earthquake. It seems to me that this is not a definitive sign of an impending earthquake.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The earthquake lights are viewable by day right?
Northern Lights are in the night sky.

I've not noticed anything unusual in the sky today. It's dark now and I just went outside to look. It's clear skies.

I didn't feel the quakes today either.
-further east here in the valley

I'm curious about one thing, that seems unusual or overlooked. Going on the USGS Feed it shows both quakes, in same location (just a few kilometers apart) happening at same time of 12:41 only 4 seconds apart, 6.8 and 6.4.

The news only mentions the 6.4 as the initial quake and leaves out the 6.8 (which was first reported as 6.7) Seems it would be more newsworthy to use the bigger mag.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island. I don't see any lights.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet

I've not noticed anything unusual in the sky today. It's dark now and I just went outside to look. It's clear skies.

I'm curious about one thing, that seems unusual or overlooked. Going on the USGS Feed it shows both quakes, in same location (just a few kilometers apart) happening at same time of 12:41 only 4 seconds apart, 6.8 and 6.4.

The news only mentions the 6.4 as the initial quake and leaves out the 6.8 (which was first reported as 6.7) Seems it would be more newsworthy to use the bigger mag.

The USGS is now showing just one quake (6.4 mag.). Subsequent to a Preliminary Report, a USGS seismologist reviews the raw data. Sometimes the depth and/or magnitude ia revised based on that review.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaPpedDoG
I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island. I don't see any lights.

You must know Quadra Island? Across the water from Campbell River? That's where I seen them tonight.

Not sure if they are still there, can't see because I'm deeper in the woods.

I wish I had my camera so I could have taken some pictures.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

The USGS is now showing just one quake (6.4 mag.). Subsequent to a Preliminary Report, a USGS seismologist reviews the raw data. Sometimes the depth and/or magnitude ia revised based on that review.

I don't know how these things work, but I felt 2. The first was only about 30 seconds long, and after about a 30 second pause the second came, and it felt stronger and was about 45 seconds long.

Being one after another so fast does that count as only one?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

I doubt these rainbow clouds have anything to do with earthquakes. Have seen them many times above the city where I live... no earthquakes in this area since 1973 and that was about 100 klms away.. More to do with ice crystals in the upper atmosphere from what I've read.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Do any of you live near Fraser River?
Apparently somebody on another site has reported that the Fraser normally has a very strong current that flows to the sea, only recently it is at an almost standstill as its flow is 'reversing'. I take that to mean that there must be some sort of stronger ocean current going on.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Thanks.
I do realise the quakes are often downgraded and readings change. Turns out I was misinformed by my stupid quake app on my phone. It's not syncing / merging the data from the various reporting agencies as it always has. I still have two seperate quakes with different readings on exact locations, strength and depth of "each" quake. So it's appearing as two instead of one. I will compllain to the quakewatch app maker that it isn't merging the quake data properly. In the past on the app, if a quake was downgraded, the new reading never did update, but they sure never added the next new reading into the list along with the other.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Do any of you live near Fraser River?
Apparently somebody on another site has reported that the Fraser normally has a very strong current that flows to the sea, only recently it is at an almost standstill as its flow is 'reversing'. I take that to mean that there must be some sort of stronger ocean current going on.
Rainbows
Jane

Yes my house overlooks the fraser but due to trees the view is obscured now. So I can't report on that. When I used to be able to see it, you can't really see the current. Most days it looks like a lake, still and calm ... but thats deceiving it has a dangerous undercurrent.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join