It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you sick of the stupid predictions that waste valuable space on ATS? Here is the solution.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I happen to like that forum i find it interesting and i think alot of other people do also ..Some of the prophecys and predictions are a bit out there but i dont feel its fair to say these people are mental patients and running low on meds or there wasting valuable space with there predictions all i can say to you op is have a open mind ..Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

This thread was never on the tracks.
Also, You never answered my question.

Are you referring to who will judge the quality of the posts?

Well if you make a thread saying the world will end next week and it doesnt then you red flagged. you can only flag once and you can change your vote at anytime but only registered members can vote and only for predictions. the star and flag is in place for quality of sourced articles and personal articles but there is nothing specific for serial predictors.

Im just trying to help clean up some of the mess on here. If you like rolling around in filth thats your business,

So by quality, you mean validity?
You had me confused.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I haven't made a prediction in my life and I never will.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

...should be able to red flag a user as a deranged lunatic or a bored prankster.

If on the other hand someone who makes predictions come true they should be rewarded with a green flag for predictions. And we should be able to see who has red flagged and green flagged a persons predictions. transparency for all.

amasci.com...

Careful who you label lunatic. They may wind up being right long after you are gone, and then you get to be tossed in the pile of forgotten closed mindedness.

Also... we have to accept that the future is not fixed... and prophecy/prediction has ALWAYS been intended to be "if nothing changes... this is the path that we will find ourselves on". Yes this gets abused/confused by those making predictions as well as those who hear them. As far as more generic predictions in terms of unprovable as yet theories... that's up to your discretion.

I choose to accept that throughout our entire history the smartest people of the past working with the best information they had available inevitably wind up being wrong in some manner even if the understanding was workable and useful at the time. Newtonian Physics is "wrong", but still useful... for example. Therefore extrapolating forward... we are someone else's ignorant blind past.

Finally... some of our most revered and respected scientists/teachers held ideas that now are considered crazy and "stupid". We just conveniently don't talk about those very much.

Namaste.
edit on 9-9-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

kinda nonsense... if your tired of eeing false prophecies stop reading them. A counter is just as pointless.. I agree there is a lot of terrible stuff thrown around but cmon get over it. If people felt pressure to only say something "right" we wouldn't have had so much good in the world.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

And since i dont make predictions as i dont believe anybody can predict the future

Seeing that you don't believe, why visit the predictions threads in the first place?

I personally enjoy this section. Some of these predictions are very entertaining even if they never come true.

i dont visit this forum the only reason i posted on here was because this is the root of the problem.

And if i dont see another prediction thread on the front page of ATS i wont be bothered in the least. You cant deny the number of easily gullible people on ATS and how they get sucked into outrageous claims with no proof or logical standing.

I know ATS is a community driven site and the majority rules but seriously do we want this to be another nut bag site? Are there enough of those sites online? Lets try to keep things logical as possible while at the same time pushing the boundaries of possibility.

AS I HAVE SAID ALREADY im not saying there is no room for predictions. There might be someone with insider info that knows of some up coming even. If such a person was to leak info and it comes through we should be able to reward that person with positive recognition so in the future we can look at his profile and see he has a positive hit rate for predicting stuff of that nature. If on the other hand he is some dribbling fruit cake why should we take him serious and waste precious time when there is so much interesting content on here.

I have a job and a life and cant afford to trawl through the thousands of threads on this site but at the same time i want to get to what i want as quickly as possible. a posters credibility helps with my ability to judge fs what they have to say is legit.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

And since i dont make predictions as i dont believe anybody can predict the future

Seeing that you don't believe, why visit the predictions threads in the first place?

I personally enjoy this section. Some of these predictions are very entertaining even if they never come true.

i dont visit this forum the only reason i posted on here was because this is the root of the problem.

And if i dont see another prediction thread on the front page of ATS i wont be bothered in the least. You cant deny the number of easily gullible people on ATS and how they get sucked into outrageous claims with no proof or logical standing.

I know ATS is a community driven site and the majority rules but seriously do we want this to be another nut bag site? Are there enough of those sites online? Lets try to keep things logical as possible while at the same time pushing the boundaries of possibility.

AS I HAVE SAID ALREADY im not saying there is no room for predictions. There might be someone with insider info that knows of some up coming even. If such a person was to leak info and it comes through we should be able to reward that person with positive recognition so in the future we can look at his profile and see he has a positive hit rate for predicting stuff of that nature. If on the other hand he is some dribbling fruit cake why should we take him serious and waste precious time when there is so much interesting content on here.

I have a job and a life and cant afford to trawl through the thousands of threads on this site but at the same time i want to get to what i want as quickly as possible. a posters credibility helps with my ability to judge fs what they have to say is legit.

I think it's time for you to move to another site.
Or come up with a applicable solution.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I think it's time for you to move to another site.
Or come up with a applicable solution.

Maybe your right. its sad that so many of the original posters from here have left or been banned for various reason as this site has become more mainstream over the last 3 to 4 years. But you wouldnt know anything about that. Unless your an older member with a new account. I have been here long enough to see how things have changed.

All goo things must come to an end i suppose and the love of money is the great corrupter.

Do you ever wonder what happened to the idealistic flower power hippies of the late 60's.

They are the puppet masters of today. Ironic huh how people who started off fighting the powers that be invariable became a tool for them.....hmm i wonder if there are other examples of that...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have to agree but only sofar as to the predictions which have absolutely no sources or are based on any current or past events. In short, predictions which are entirely personall "guesswork" based on nothing else but intuition, these i could agree with to have the flag system.

But on the other hand, i don´t see many of those, and the few i see are mostly ignored anyway, so aren´t really an issue.

So sorry, guess this is a bad idea.
edit on 9-9-2011 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
If the thread is in the "Dreams and Predictions" forum, I expect exactly that.....no truth, just dreams and "gut feelings", but nothing substantiated. That's why that particular forum is there and that's why it was started. It keeps the predictions out of the other threads. (for the most part). If I didn't care to read them, I guess I'd stay out of that forum.

edit on 9-9-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

if i dont see another prediction thread on the front page of ATS i wont be bothered in the least.

...theres a (-) thingy next to each thread... if you click it the next time you see a prediction thread, the whole dreams and predictions forum goes away... simple...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
I have to agree but only sofar as to the predictions which have absolutely no sources or are based on any current or past events. In short, predictions which are entirely personall "guesswork" based on nothing else but intuition, these i could agree with to have the flag system.

But on the other hand, i don´t see many of those, and the few i see are mostly ignored anyway, so aren´t really an issue.

So sorry, guess this is a bad idea.
edit on 9-9-2011 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

i dont understand how its a bad idea? what are the drawbacks to a positive or negative rating for predictions?
I you believe enough in your source to make a public post then you shouldn't fear having a negative flag if your wrong.

People used to get stoned if they made predictions that didnt come through. Its a good way to weed out the BS artists. I think a lot of you underestimate the number of pranksters operating on ATS. Trust me i have an open mind and im all for fringe sciences and out of the box thinking but i still base it on logic and reason. its a delicate balance to have an open mind and a critical mind. Not so open your brain falls out and not so closed nothing comes in.

Again i dont understand how its a bad thing to rate peoples legitimacy. If people make bad predictions they should be labeled as such so new member who havent been here long enough to know the serial liars from the ones that have credit in the past.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

if i dont see another prediction thread on the front page of ATS i wont be bothered in the least.

...theres a (-) thingy next to each thread... if you click it the next time you see a prediction thread, the whole dreams and predictions forum goes away... simple...

SIGH! Does anybody read posts on here or do they just fly off half cocked and talk about what they think the person said as opposed to what was stated.

I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH LEGITIMATE PREDICTIONS. i dont speak any other languages im sorry so English will have to do.

My problem is with the people who continuously make bad predictions and people keep lapping it up. The fluoride in the water must be causing gold fish memories. So in order to help with those of you who have bad memories my suggestions is you tag a user as a bad predictor of the future as opposed to the ones WHO CAN!!!

Capish??

Hey what do you know i do know another language after all.
edit on 9-9-2011 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I have been on ATS for almost 5 years. Only been a member for a short while.
And there has been a dramatic drop in quality of threads, but I don't think there is
any site comparable to this one. That is why I choose to stick with it.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Predictions are mostly probabilities. The best way to curb them is just not click on to the thread and ignore them. Pretty simple really.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I have been on ATS for almost 5 years. Only been a member for a short while.
And there has been a dramatic drop in quality of threads, but I don't think there is
any site comparable to this one. That is why I choose to stick with it.

I agree with you, there is no other site like this online which is more the reason it needs to be protected from garbage and shysters. I cringe when i see so many of the trusting membership on here get scammed into believing the fantasies being touted as fact on here. I love a flight of fancy as long as its based in science and verifiable data. If you have nothing to hide then a positive or negative ranking will weed out the liars and fruitcakes. simple, how is that a bad thing unless the 3 amigos dont care about content as long as the traffic keeps flowing and they make money.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

...i read your entire post... read the entire thread as well... i replied very nicely, considering what i really wanted to tell you about your whine and your idea to change ats because you are such a busy and important person that you dont have time to waste on filtering thru inaccurate self-serving junk (your whine thread excluded, of course)...

....happy now?... good... that makes two of us...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Yeah that stuff pisses me off. I hate when I spend several hours putting a thread together, and then like three people post in there and there's no discussion at all. Then I look on the front page and it's like "5.4 magnitude earthquake! This is the big one!" or some garbage like that, and there are 10 pages of discussion.

There should be an "unflag" button so we can make sure threads about a 6.0 earthquake or some other lame prediction doesn't make it on the frontpage every couple of days.
edit on 10-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Predictions are mostly probabilities. The best way to curb them is just not click on to the thread and ignore them. Pretty simple really.

Whats wrong with you people? Are you inherently incapable of reading posts without commenting. the thread is only 2 pages long. I have already said i dont care about the forum and i dont click on them. I dont visit the prediction forum mainly because its never come true. maybe 1 out of 100 and even that according to probability is massively low. By pure chance the hit rate should be higher. Anyway this isnt just about me its about ALL OF YOU.

Its like smashing my head against a brick wall. What part of this dont you understand? Im not saying ban the forum or remove it. im saying implement a + or - ranking system for people who post predictions. Why are you so scared of this? Are you scared the thin veil of your reality might come crashing down if you realize you have been conned... again... by the same person.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

Yeah that stuff pisses me off. I hate when I spend several hours putting a thread together, and then like three people post in there and there's no discussion at all. Then I look on the front page and it's like "5.4 magnitude earthquake! This is the big one!" or some garbage like that, and there are 10 pages of discussion.

There should be an "unflag" button so we can make sure threads about a 6.0 earthquake or some other lame prediction doesn't make it on the frontpage every couple of days.
edit on 10-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

Isnt there an unflag option already?

This isnt about unflagging i dont care about the post per say im saying we need to track the poster that's making the claim. credibility is what it all boils down to. why should one poster be more credible than another? Well for one if someone make a prediction and they have been right in the past i will take it into consideration if another poster makes a prediction and they have been wrong on numerous times in the past well chances are they will be wrong again. How is that a bad thing? I still haven't seen one argument for why its a bad thing?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join